The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3800
Original post by jam278
You barely created anything all game and got your goals from set pieces.

It was like watching a Chelsea game.

Well done with the win though. CP are still a tough side to break down. Probably premature to say that they'll get relegated tbh.

Yeah Palace are tough - not just physically but mentally too.. Literally never give up

Thank goodness for today though, such a dirty win & we can't do the same in many other games.

Major relief
Original post by jam278

I agree. I think we'll be more cohesive when the Germans come back.

Set pieces haven't been our strong point the last couple of season. I'm glad we're making the most of the dead ball situations
Original post by jam278

Well done with the win though. CP are still a tough side to break down. Probably premature to say that they'll get relegated tbh.

Difference being that we play like that due to it being the start of the season and Chelsea play like that in every game :laugh:

Cesc should help in terms of creativity this season though, takes a lot of pressure of Hazard in a way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Get in!! Need to turn up against Everton next week, can't be performing like **** against them at Goodison.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sevchenko
Bacon where you at bro, have we created enough chance now?

No, awful ****ing performance. Tell me you're happy with that I ****ing dare you because I'll promise you now we won't come anywhere ****ing near chelsea and man city this season if we don't develop an actual attacking system. Too reliant on certain players the system is ****ing terrible
Original post by manchesterunited15
das it mane

You could see that Arsenal were just trying to tire out Palace. Palace didn't create anything going forward and with Arsenal's possession it's more than likely they'd get more set pieces as Palace will try to break down the play. Also not good ball players so would probably concede a corner or something like that.

Sanchez was poor though, I can see that he has a lot of qualities and his 1-2 play can increase the tempo. He falls to pieces when out wide though as he can't cross and his final ball is often poor.
Played crap. Got 3 points. That's the way.
Reply 3807
Take nothing away from Palace though - they were frigging brilliant.

To think they were manager-less..

I think most teams would have struggled to break them down
Original post by TheInvincibles14
Difference being that we play like that due to it being the start of the season and Chelsea play like that in every game :laugh:

Cesc should help in terms of creativity this season though, takes a lot of pressure of Hazard in a way.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbh We didn't have enough creativity in the squad last season as Mata left and we had **** strikers. No other way to realistically play bar pass to Hazard and hope for set pieces.
Original post by Loat
Let us pray and give thanks to the Lord, our God Thierry. For he hath sent the Welsh Jesus among us to save us from our sins.

LOOL

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheInvincibles14

Posted from TSR Mobile

No we also play like this most games don't kid yourself. We create **** all most games
Sanchez needs to play closer to the goal, preferably off Giroud when he's fully fit, but that won't be for a while until Theo's fit. He often made poor crosses when out wide and his crossing was poor too. I think he would do well playing next to a target man, especially someone like Giroud who's excellent at bringing others in to play.

Also Sanogo should be sent on loan with Campbell being the back up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by baconbutty
No, awful ****ing performance. Tell me you're happy with that I ****ing dare you because I'll promise you now we won't come anywhere ****ing near chelsea and man city this season if we don't develop an actual attacking system. Too reliant on certain players the system is ****ing terrible

What system? There is no system. Wenger doesn't do tactics.
Armchairs.
Match of the day is going to be great. A Man United loss and an Arsenal win.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also saw a stat that Arsenal created the second least chances out of the top 4.

They just keep hold of the ball for long enough as defensive possession. First game of the season most important thing is three points. So well done on that score. Can't complain.
We didn't create much but tbf we weren't given much room by Palace. Not an excuse for our performance though
When teams park the bus, there needs to be a lot of movement from the forward players and they all need hold up the ball well. Sanogo did neither and was a big reason why we created basically nothing of note in the first half. Maybe he'll be a good player for us in the future, but I don't see how we can allow him to get anywhere near the team in these types of games when we KNOW teams are draggin their bus into the stadium. He's simply not good enough at the moment. The difference was evident when Giroud came on - he was able to hold up the ball and allow our side to push on, creating a couple of chances.

Also, Cazorla was unbelievably poor, but I expect that to be an abberation and not the norm. Just wasn't his day. Thank god Ramsey bailed us out again, as he has done so often. We desperately need him fit for the entire season - even when he's playing **** (like today), he still comes up big when we need him most.
Original post by baconbutty

I honestly don't care about the actual game now. We've got the 3 points that's all that matters. It was the first game, we've learn lessons and I think we'll improve.

Drawing conclusions from the first league matches isn't an accurate indicator of where a team is at. Just look at Liverpool last season, They didn't have a 100% start but found their form later on in the season
Original post by Tom_Ford
What system? There is no system. Wenger doesn't do tactics.

Probably true

Latest