The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Thanks Jam, I got it. :smile:

Sooo guess Gundogan is out of question then...

Gundogan hasn't played in so long with his back injury and who knows when he'll be back. He's fat now as well
Reply 401
It's not so much a pure DM we need, just a massive upgrade on Arteta. The guy's 32 and lost his legs however I wish that Flamini/diaby act as covers for this new DM. Khedira isn't as defensively minded but he offers a lot more prescence and is still a massive upgrade on Arteta. It won't hurt as using a player like Khedira as long as we get the tactics right (unlike last season).

150k pw does seem a bit high for him, but honestly I'd rather we gave him that instead of using Arteta next season. Wouldn't mind Schneiderlin instead but I haven't seen much links to him, and Bender most likely is out of the question.

I really do hope we still buy some sort of a backup for Giroud. I don't care if Remy isn't an upgrade on Giroud lol let him be our back up. Sure he's mid-table quality at best but he'd provide much more adequate cover over both Sanogo and Campbell. Campbell is a bright prospect but I haven't seen anything to suggest that he should be our second striker next season.

And then there's the backup GK. Probably the most crucial position we need to fill right now..
Reply 402
Original post by baconbutty
Gundogan hasn't played in so long with his back injury and who knows when he'll be back. He's fat now as well

Gundogan is a massive risk tbh though is a shame we haven't seen him in the cup at all this year ( along with Reus)
Original post by AR_95
I don't remember him ever being in the question

He certainly was last summer, I think even the january one if I'm not mistaken.
Counter attacking should be one of our main strengths this season when players come back from injury and more of the right signings are made. Dat pace tho :h:
Reply 405
He certainly was last summer, I think even the january one if I'm not mistaken.

In January we were linked with players left right and centre. I think the only actual player we went for is Draxler yet refused to sign him because of his absurd buyout price. It's hilarious how we all went mental about not signing a striker/cover with Draxler in January but by now we would have realised what a flop that would have been. #ArseneKnows #SanchezSigns
Original post by AR_95
Gundogan is a massive risk tbh though is a shame we haven't seen him in the cup at all this year ( along with Reus)

He's had loads of setbacks this season. I hope he comes back because he's a wonderful I don't like seeing injuries affecting players.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guess Sanchez's hairdresser was right after all:rolleyes:
Reply 408
I'm actually more excited about Walcotts return tbh. We didn't get to see the Walcott-Ozil madness :frown:
dont want jenko to leave
khedira in arsenal would be amazing
Reply 411
Stumbled upon something interesting just now.

So, atm I've estimated we've got 20 players who will count towards the 25 man squad rule.

My estimated 20

Szcz (H)
Per, Kos, Verm, Jenks (H), Gibbo (H), Monreal
Flamini, Tommy, Arteta, Diaby, Wilshere (H), Rambo (H)
Santi, Theo (H), Alexis, Campbell, Ozil, Poldi
Giroud

Hard arithmetic then shows we've got 5 places left but 1 has to be home grown- so 4+1. Debuchy is a good as signed so, 3+1 left. If we sign Remy and one of the midfielders we've been linked to then we've got 1+1 left.

Look at this now, and if we do make all these singing, it was probably behind the thinking to no sign Cesc. At least it's looking like a good decision. Time will tell.

Anyways, of the remaining 2, ideally we'll sign a GK and a CB. On the GK front, there's been very little noise about us signing someone which suggests that Martinez will get added to the 25 and he'll take the last home grown spot. If we do, it better be an home grown keeper. But a CB signing is more important. Even last season, we had 4 with Sagna. Letting Sagna go is already coming to bite us.

All these means that Ryo and Le Coq will have to be moved on. Miquel as well unless he becomes the 4th choice CB.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 412
Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
dont want jenko to leave

From my investigation, he's unlikely to leave unless he's pushing for a move. He counts as one of the home grown so selling him to loan the Atletico player doesn't add.
Original post by SHOO
I'm actually more excited about Walcotts return tbh. We didn't get to see the Walcott-Ozil madness :frown:

We'll see the Sanchez-Ozil-Walcott madness then :biggrin:

But yeah, I'm proper excited about Walcott returning. It couldn't come sooner tho apparently it'll be September.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sky sports news just confirmed that we've made an enquiry to QPR for Loic Remy.
Sky sports news just confirmed that we've made an enquiry to QPR for Loic Remy.

Definitely go for him. It's clear we can't get anyone better than Giroud to replace him. so our best bet would to be to get someone who could do the job when he's not on form.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 416
Original post by baconbutty
khedira doesnt play that role :|

Yes he does actually. I don't know why everyone says he can't play holding mid because he can and has done so on numerous occasions for Madrid and Germany. In the German side, Khedira is actually one of the most defensive midfielders in the team. He may not the type of holding mid that just sits back and purely defends, but he can offer good cover for Ramsey when he goes forward and can also has good attacking capability himself. He is much taller and stronger than Arteta and has more mobility, we did not do too badly with Arteta and Flamini playing in the holding roles last season, so I'm confident that with Khedira we would fare better.

Wenger has never been a fan of midfielders who are purely defensive anyway. He likes having midfielders who can contribute in both attack and defence and can interchange with each other. Khedira may not be worth £30m but for £20m I would definitely take him.
Original post by PGtips
Yes he does actually. I don't know why everyone says he can't play holding mid because he can and has done so on numerous occasions for Madrid and Germany. In the German side, Khedira is actually one of the most defensive midfielders in the team. He may not the type of holding mid that just sits back and purely defends, but he can offer good cover for Ramsey when he goes forward and can also has good attacking capability himself. He is much taller and stronger than Arteta and has more mobility, we did not do too badly with Arteta and Flamini playing in the holding roles last season, so I'm confident that with Khedira we would fare better.

Wenger has never been a fan of midfielders who are purely defensive anyway. He likes having midfielders who can contribute in both attack and defence and can interchange with each other. Khedira may not be worth £30m but for £20m I would definitely take him.

What's that got to do with what I said? He's talking about him being the orchestrator of the midfield.

He's poor at md and doesn't have the technical ability/passing range to take over artetas role. When has he ever played that role in a 4-2-3-1 I genuinely can't recall a time
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AR_95
I don't remember him ever being in the question :tongue:

It's a shame what has happened with Gundogan, I really like him as a player. World class 12/13 season for sure, the guy gave Madrid the run around at signal iduna park.

Original post by PGtips

You haven't watched Khedira before...

Khedira's role pretty much has been him pushing up the pitch, this gives space for Alonso to string passes from deep as a midfielder from the other team has to track Khedira's runs... if you watched Germany vs Brazil. Khedira was bursting forward on lung busting runs to help with the counter attack while Schweinsteigger stayed deep. He's essentially a german Jordan Henderson.

Khedira's passing is dodgy and Wenger is a fan of using deep lying playmakers who can pick out a pass, this is the exact reason why Arteta plays there instead of Flamini, if you add to the fact the last time they got a guy who bursts forward a lot as their DM(Song) Arsenal unsurprisingly were shipping goals for fun.
Subbing, well done on Sánchez, looks a coup.

Latest