The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gob Bluth
You always get drawn at home in cup games. You've had very nice recent cup fixtures tbh. Whilst your FA Cup ones had 3 difficult games they were all home games you were favourites to win. You've had quite favourable draws arguably, and Southampton home is no different. Swansea away is a lot more difficult, as is any away game.

Was thinking this. Southampton always put a shocking side out in the cups too and get berated for it anyway.
Original post by TH3-FL45H
Neither are but arteta plays that position for us

Arteta should be compared to matic and Ramsey to fabregas

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed.
You always get drawn at home in cup games. You've had very nice recent cup fixtures tbh. Whilst your FA Cup ones had 3 difficult games they were all home games you were favourites to win. You've had quite favourable draws arguably, and Southampton home is no different. Swansea away is a lot more difficult, as is any away game.

Any away game? I would take any of Chelsea, City, Liverpool or Spurs draws over ours.
Original post by Pete_91

Not our fault Ronaldo went on one against us, we still made the semi's though.

Liverpool fluked their way through though...

2006 m8.

Liverpool actually you had excitement when they played that they could pull off any result. With Arsenal it's essentially if Arsenal are favourites they'll win, if they're not favourites they'll lose essentially... No surprise results or anything, bar the consolation win in the 2nd leg when they were already knocked out by the first round.

Man you lot are pathetic. Hate you guys wasting that CL spot. Would genuinely prefer Spurs, last time they were in it actually provided excitement in beating the favourites and bowed out with a juicy Bernabeu spanking.

Spoiler

Don't want to take it off topic so spoilering that.

in the meantime, looking forward to the draw tomorrow.

And lol at Rangers.

ive never seen a club full of hostile guys looking to pick fights and ive been out 100s of times in different citys/countries

appearence is massive here tbf and i find better looking people have better personalities cus theyre more confident but theres still the scumbags who go round lookin for fights and putting people down whether theyre ugly or not

i don't really get how a bloke can't like going to clubs and that cus its all i know really all my mates go to festivals and clubbing and loads of us have our own decks. thats the life of a bloke who loves his music though and i can't imagine it being any other way and ull meet a lot of girls on the way if thats what you do.

im not a guy who really cares about how anyone else chooses to live their life though i was askin how many girls hes banged cus i thought it was funny
Original post by junaid95
Fabregas is not a holding midfielder, Arteta is.

Arteta isn't really though is he? He can't defend. I'm still not sure what he does apart from pass sideways and whine a lot.
Original post by jam278
2006 m8.

Liverpool actually you had excitement when they played that they could pull off any result. With Arsenal it's essentially if Arsenal are favourites they'll win, if they're not favourites they'll lose essentially... No surprise results or anything, bar the consolation win in the 2nd leg when they were already knocked out by the first round.

Man you lot are pathetic. Hate you guys wasting that CL spot. Would genuinely prefer Spurs, last time they were in it actually provided excitement in beating the favourites and bowed out with a juicy Bernabeu spanking.

What does that even mean?

Arsenal were the first English team to win at the Bernabeu, beat Inter Milan 1-5 when they weren't such a **** team, beat Barcelona at their peak... to name a few of our more famous CL nights.

Not under any delusions that we're going anywhere in the competition this year but you could say that for many of the teams that are competing.
Original post by jam278
2006 m8.

How exactly is us getting to the semi's in 2009 not doing anything in the CL? It's the same as you managed last season ffs...

Spurs had their shot in the CL, and got utterly demolished by RM. Cry all you want but you want in you have to come top 4.
Original post by baconbutty
ive never seen a club full of hostile guys looking to pick fights and ive been out 100s of times in different citys/countries

appearence is massive here tbf and i find better looking people have better personalities cus theyre more confident but theres still the scumbags who go round lookin for fights and putting people down whether theyre ugly or not

i don't really get how a bloke can't like going to clubs and that cus its all i know really all my mates go to festivals and clubbing and loads of us have our own decks. thats the life of a bloke who loves his music though and i can't imagine it being any other way and ull meet a lot of girls on the way if thats what you do.

im not a guy who really cares about how anyone else chooses to live their life though i was askin how many girls hes banged cus i thought it was funny

Keep the life story off the Arsenal forum ffs. What is going through your head as you write this crap?
Original post by De Chirico
Keep the life story off the Arsenal forum ffs. What is going through your head as you write this crap?

just having a nice chat about life

--------------------------------------------------------------

everyone share your story as well and we can all offer advice at the end of it
Original post by De Chirico
What does that even mean?

Arsenal were the first English team to win at the Bernabeu, beat Inter Milan 1-5 when they weren't such a **** team, beat Barcelona at their peak... to name a few of our more famous CL nights.

Not under any delusions that we're going anywhere in the competition this year but you could say that for many of the teams that are competing.

Great. I said that last time you did great was in 2006.

You beat barcelona at their peak in one game leeleleel Celtic beat barcelona once ffs it means **** all. Chelsea beat them when they were still pretty good and when they won their treble they had the ref to thank for getting to that final.

If you look at the past 5 years(which is what determines UEFA coefficients) you guys have done **** all bar 2009 possibly and to get there you faced the mighty Roma and Villareal to get to the semi final. Not a single big boy in sight lelelel. You just got a nice draw. Compare that to Liverpool's CL that year, facing Real Madrid and then Chelsea. It's clear who had the harder team that season.

Matter of fact is that whenever you're not favourites you **** up in CL ties, when the likes of Chelsea and Liverpool(when they were in) could win against the odds.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam278
You beat barcelona at their peak in one game leeleleel Celtic beat barcelona once ffs it means **** all. Chelsea beat them when they were still pretty good and when they won their treble they had the ref to thank for getting to that final.

Not saying it was a stand out achievement but the reason why that Barcelona result was so great was because:

a) our average age in that squad was 22-23
b) Barcelona were at their peak
c) we beat them playing good football

Just putting it into context. It was a great win.
Original post by Arkasia
Any away game? I would take any of Chelsea, City, Liverpool or Spurs draws over ours.

Yes, in this context arguably. But Southampton have quite a thin squad losing a lot of its core recently. They will surely rest people for the cup, so a home game vs them is pretty much a banker, while an away game is a lot more unpredictable.

Original post by baconbutty

Spoiler

Original post by little_tom
Not saying it was a stand out achievement but the reason why that Barcelona result was so great was because:

a) our average age in that squad was 22-23
b) Barcelona were at their peak
c) we beat them playing good football

Just putting it into context. It was a great win.

I never said it wasn't a great result.

I said that so did Celtic and so have Chelsea(even though they declined it was mainly due to Madrid's brilliance and Chelsea winning than Barcelona's decline) Barca got 91 points in la liga and won the copa del rey so were still clearly a top team(and still are)

the 3 points you said are valid but Chelsea, Celtic have better claims to saying how greater it was beating Barca than Arsenal.

Chelsea e.g. beat them over two legs, Celtic beat Barca with a vastly inferior squad.
Original post by jam278
I never said it wasn't a great result.

I said that so did Celtic and so have Chelsea(even though they declined it was mainly due to Madrid's brilliance and Chelsea winning than Barcelona's decline) Barca got 91 points in la liga and won the copa del rey so were still clearly a top team(and still are)

the 3 points you said are valid but Chelsea, Celtic have better claims to saying how greater it was beating Barca than Arsenal.

Chelsea e.g. beat them over two legs, Celtic beat Barca with a vastly inferior squad.

I've yet to see someone say that Arsenal's Barcelona result was more of an achievement than Chelsea's... but to see the way Chelsea had to play against Barcelona to progress it does put into context how much of an achievement it was to beat a (better) Barcelona side by playing attractive football.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by little_tom
I've yet to see someone say that Arsenal's Barcelona result was more of an achievement than Chelsea's... but to see the way Chelsea had to play against Barcelona to progress it does put into context how much of an achievement it was to beat a (better) Barcelona side by playing attractive football.

You get the couple people who complain about the football play and say Arsenal's was better.

Yes true. It's only a snippet. It was a great moment but that's what it all was. You didn't progress and other teams have knocked Barcelona out at their peak.

Anyway the point I was making is that Arsenal rarely have won when they're not the favourites in a CL tie. Whereas teams like Chelsea and Liverpool(when they were in it) have done or continue to do so. Mainly been talking about the whole campaign and not individual results.
(edited 9 years ago)
When I first read this I nearly cried... things we can conclude from his press conference:

1. Alexis IS that striker we're waiting for according to Wenger. (Cue tears)
2. Giroud is out till December-January
3. We're not in for Zigic or Welbeck, hurrah.
4. Alex song isn't coming back.
5. We're not signing Falcao
6. 'We're still in the market but only for quality'

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20140827/wenger-on-the-win-alexis-and-giroud

Sorry if this has been posted before, cba to check.
Alexis did well tonight considering he's not used to playing on his own. With time, Ozil behind, and the OX and Walcott on the wings, it's a pacey, deadly attack. The only snag is if Alexis, the OX or Walcott pick up an injury we're playing Campbell, Gnabry, Cazorla, Rosicky, et cetera on the wings.

Squad depth, Arsene. Last season proved how limited we were when key players picked up injuries. Compare that to City, Chelsea, and even Liverpool this season and it only goes to show how much further we've fallen behind. Wenger's no idiot, though - he's well aware of the problem, but his stubbornness to take risks/splash the cash and sign players like Higuain, Balotelli, et cetera needs to be addressed, otherwise Sanogo will be leading the line when we endure another injury crisis shortly before/during/after Christmas.
Reply 6298
Original post by jam278
Great. I said that last time you did great was in 2006.

If you look at the past 5 years(which is what determines UEFA coefficients) you guys have done **** all bar 2009 possibly and to get there you faced the mighty Roma and Villareal to get to the semi final. Not a single big boy in sight lelelel. You just got a nice draw. Compare that to Liverpool's CL that year, facing Real Madrid and then Chelsea. It's clear who had the harder team that season.

Matter of fact is that whenever you're not favourites you **** up in CL ties, when the likes of Chelsea and Liverpool(when they were in) could win against the odds.

While I agree Arsenal are a waste of space in the CL and will probably not win it in the foreseeable future, who else deserves it more than them? Everton might have a better mentality to do something special as underdogs but they'd probably just get knocked out. Man Utd clearly a joke. Spurs came 6th.

As pointless and embarrassing as it is seeing Arsenal represent our country in the CL, we're pretty stuck with them, unless they change it top 3 only.
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
When I first read this I nearly cried... things we can conclude from his press conference:

1. Alexis IS that striker we're waiting for according to Wenger. (Cue tears
2. Giroud is out till December-January
3. We're not in for Zigic or Welbeck, hurrah.
4. Alex song isn't coming back.
5. We're not signing Falcao
6. 'We're still in the market but only for quality'

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/20140827/wenger-on-the-win-alexis-and-giroud

Sorry if this has been posted before, cba to check.

John Cross mentioned Marco Reus the other day. If Alexis is that striker, then it'll make sense for another forward to come in. AW is clearly a fan, and what's to say it won't be another surprise. Poldi would have to go, and I'd take that tbh.

Latest