The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Wenger's got a hang up with playing strikers/CAMs out wide. Read somewhere that he likes to do that with younger players especially to give them an education in spacial awareness and movement. Obviously it seems to work well with the likes of RVP/Henry, just what he expects a player of Ozil's experience to learn at LW is another question.

We're actually pretty stacked with Sanchez, AOC, Campbell, Podolski all capable of playing at LW.

My team for Dortmund and Citeh away is:

Welbeck
Sanchez Ozil Walcott
Ramsey AOC
Monreal Mert-Kos Deb
Szcz

Actually can see us getting results like that, plenty of hustle and plenty of pace. No Santi Cazorla please. He can come on to do some pretty twirls if we're 3-0 up or something.

Need to do some solid work on the training ground over the next 2 weeks to get some understanding between our forwards though, at the minute it's all very rusty and disjointed.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8121
Original post by De Chirico
Controversial. Just no more ****ing midfielders on the wings.

meh, I think you would be best with two quick wingers (i.e Walcott and Sanchez) playing off Welbeck, two box-to-box players supporting them from deeper (i.e. Ramsey and Wilshere/Chamberlain) and an anchorman sitting back (Flamini or Arteta, but really I thought you should have a bought a new DM). Which would leave no room for Ozil unless he increased his workrate in order to play a deeper role.
Original post by Zürich
Wenger's got a hang up with playing strikers/CAMs out wide. Read somewhere that he likes to do that with younger players especially to give them an education in spacial awareness and movement. Obviously it seems to work well with the likes of RVP/Henry, just what he expects a player of Ozil's experience to learn at LW is another question.

We're actually pretty stacked with Sanchez, AOC, Campbell, Podolski all capable of playing at LW.

Welbeck
Sanchez Ozil Walcott
Ramsey AOC
Monreal Mert-Kos Deb
Szcz

Need to do some solid work on the training ground over the next 2 weeks to get some understanding between our forwards though, at the minute it's all very rusty and disjointed.

City is a home game fyi.

Sanchez's workrate to make up for Monreal's defensive inabilities is a sound idea.
Original post by cBay
meh, I think you would be best with two quick wingers (i.e Walcott and Sanchez) playing off Welbeck, two box-to-box players supporting them from deeper (i.e. Ramsey and Wilshere/Chamberlain) and an anchorman sitting back (Flamini or Arteta, but really I thought you should have a bought a new DM). Which would leave no room for Ozil unless he increased his workrate in order to play a deeper role.

That formation for the big away games is good, have Ozil play instead of arteta/flamini/wilshere/ox in the lesser games and at home against the decent teams. That way we could actually have some balance.
Will Walcott be fit for City and Dortmund?
Original post by Zürich

Welbeck
Sanchez Ozil Walcott
Ramsey AOC
Monreal Mert-Kos Deb
Szcz

Actually can see us getting results like that, plenty of hustle and plenty of pace. No Santi Cazorla please. He can come on to do some pretty twirls if we're 3-0 up or something.

I like that team, except AOC. Utter liability at CM for me. Play Arteta there and adjust the tactics so he won't be caught out of position so much.
Reply 8126
Let's be real there isn't a single game we'll be seeing Sanchez and Walcott on either wing until Cazorla is injured.
Original post by Pete_91
City is a home game fyi.

Sanchez's workrate to make up for Monreal's defensive inabilities is a sound idea.

Ah, meant Dortmund away! :colondollar:

Yeah I was thinking that. Gibbs/Sanchez together is a bit too much scrappy running and not enough final ball. Monreal is an absolute quality crosser so balances it out nicely. Debuchy/Walcott on the other wing against Marco Reus is a bit much though, probably Sanchez at RW would make sense since he can do a bit of a job on him.

Nacho Monreal generally deserves to keep his place ahead of Gibbs atm, he's started the season really very well.
Original post by Zürich
Ah, meant Dortmund away! :colondollar:

Yeah I was thinking that. Gibbs/Sanchez together is a bit too much scrappy running and not enough final ball. Monreal is an absolute quality crosser so balances it out nicely. Debuchy/Walcott on the other wing against Marco Reus is a bit much though, probably Sanchez at RW would make sense since he can do a bit of a job on him.

Nacho Monreal generally deserves to keep his place ahead of Gibbs atm, he's started the season really very well.

Could always play Ox on the left with his direct running, Sanchez on the right and bring theo on as an impact sub (seeing as he will be lacking match fitness).
Original post by AR_95
Let's be real there isn't a single game we'll be seeing Sanchez and Walcott on either wing until Cazorla is injured.

Sanchez, Walcott and Welbeck in a whirl of movement and energy ahead of Ozil, Ramsey making those rampaging runs from behind. Monreal and Debucy on the overlap outside.

This is the promised land.

Original post by Pete_91
Could always play Ox on the left with his direct running, Sanchez on the right and bring theo on as an impact sub (seeing as he will be lacking match fitness).

I'll take absolutely anyone ahead of Santi Cazorla(assuming Ozil starts playing centrally soon).

Santi Cazorla in big away games, he just gets done up like a kipper. Even Podolski will at least score some wonder-goal volley now and again even if he is just as anonymous.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8130
Original post by Zürich
Sanchez, Walcott and Welbeck in a whirl of movement and energy ahead of Ozil, Ramsey making those rampaging runs from behind. Monreal and Debucy on the overlap outside.

This is the promised land.

I hope it happens. Hope Wenger get's rid of this crap 4-1-4-1 first though :frown:
Original post by Pete_91
City is a home game fyi.

Walcott and Debuchy on the other hand....
Original post by AR_95
I hope it happens. Hope Wenger get's rid of this crap 4-1-4-1 first though :frown:

You know what, I dont mind a 4-1-4-1 if it's done right. The issue recently has been more to do with the lack of sharpness rather than the formation imo. It's unlike Wenger to tinker too much with the formation, so maybe this is how he sees us playing this season.

4-1-4-1 is a pretty in vogue formation with the likes of Bayern these days. Helps if you have someone like Schweinsteiger to sit though...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TH3-FL45H
Walcott and Debuchy on the other hand....

Hence my suggestion above.
Reply 8134
Original post by Zürich
You know what, I dont mind a 4-1-4-1 if it's done right. The issue recently has been more to do with the lack of sharpness rather than the formation imo.

4-1-4-1 is a pretty in vogue formation with the likes of Bayern these days. Helps if you have someone like Schweinsteiger to sit though...

It involves playing Ramsey/Wilshere centrally then putting Ozil and Cazorla on the wings which I think is terrible. With the right set up then maybe but I'm not the biggest fan of seeing Ramsey being played as an AM when really he should be our B2B. Agree though if the players step up their game then it could be better since we've been too wasteful with the ball.

Compare Bayern's pressing game to ours though (which at times is non existent) so it's probably a lot easier for them to make it work than us

4-1-4-1 to me is just an indication that Wenger wants to stick with sideways ball instead of using our pace to advantage (Alexis/Theo etc)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AR_95
It involves playing Ramsey/Wilshere centrally then putting Ozil and Cazorla on the wings which I think is terrible. With the right set up then maybe but I'm not the biggest fan of seeing Ramsey being played as an AM when really he should be our B2B. Agree though if the players step up their game then it could be better since we've been too wasteful with the ball.

Compare Bayern's pressing game to ours though (which at times is non existent) so it's probably a lot easier for them to make it work than us

4-1-4-1 to me is just an indication that Wenger wants to stick with sideways ball instead of using our pace to advantage (Alexis/Theo etc)

Szcz
Debuchy Kos Mert Monreal
Flamini
Walcott Ramsey Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck

Drop Cazorla, and play Ozil in the middle.

OX on for Walcott if he's still injured - and he can also switch with Alexis if he prefers playing on the right.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AR_95

End of the day, playing Wilshere, Ozil and Cazorla together just kills all 3. Better to just rotate them as part of a team with Alexis, Walcott on the wings.

a 4-1-4-1 with Walcott, Alexis wide and Welbeck up top might be quite good imo.
Been lurking on here for the past day or two, just to see how you guys welcome Welbeck. You better treat him well, or else..! :mad:
Walcott won't be back for the City game. He'll play reserve games first, then if all goes well the Carling Cup game.

Danny f**king Welbeck. Not who I wanted, but having slept on it, he could be a decent fit. He's quick, strong, hold up the ball and gets in the positions. All thats needed is extra work and we could have a good player for us. He's got a point to prove, let go by the club he's been at, played out of position etc.
Original post by AbdulKoyes
Been lurking on here for the past day or two, just to see how you guys welcome Welbeck. You better treat him well, or else..! :mad:

For some reason their turning Welbeck into a Sturridge 2.0 before he has even kicked a ball for them.

I think their just justifying a buy that they would have laughed at, if it were suggested at the beginning of the transer window

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest