The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Every Arsenal fan I've spoken to irl as well as most on Twitter about Fabregas has said they'd take him over Wilshere. Granted Wilshere played well today but he doesn't do that enough, he's wack most of the time.
Original post by The Shed End
Every Arsenal fan I've spoken to irl as well as most on Twitter about Fabregas has said they'd take him over Wilshere. Granted Wilshere played well today but he doesn't do that enough, he's wack most of the time.

True but really Fab should be taking over a bugs life, not Wilshere.
I think a Fabregas-Ramsey-Ozil trio is a better midfield than a Wilshere-Ramsey-Fabregas, but yeah Ozil takes complacency to a new level. Makes Berbatov look like a long-distance runner.
Original post by SHOO
& they got Everton next week, Everton always up their game vs Liverpool 😏

Chelsea are just ripping things apart adm :/

they have city next though..

Will be cheering for a good city win - means both teams are well witihn our reach, and can hopefully knock chelsea down a peg or two
Original post by fallen_acorns
they have city next though..

Will be cheering for a good city win - means both teams are well witihn our reach, and can hopefully knock chelsea down a peg or two

i'd admire your optimism it won't matter really. you're competing for 4th with the likes of man united, not with city/chelsea :no:
Original post by The Assassin
i'd admire your optimism it won't matter really. you're competing for 4th with the likes of man united, not with city/chelsea :no:

Man Utd? Competing for fourth? Good sir, you are far too kind.
Original post by The Assassin

Harsh man. Once Walcott is fit Arsenal will look so much deadlier. I think Arsenal will at least get 3rd.
Original post by Isometrix
Harsh man. Once Walcott is fit Arsenal will look so much deadlier. I think Arsenal will at least get 3rd.

I know you love Walcott but Arsenal are not going to get 3rd.

Liverpool will come 3rd or 2nd with the blue giants in 1st place.
Original post by jam278
I know you love Walcott but Arsenal are not going to get 3rd.

Liverpool will come 3rd or 2nd with the blue giants in 1st place.

Hmm I fancy Arsenal to edge Liverpool this season. Let Welbeck settle in too, he looked much better than Giroud.

Ramsey, Walcott, Ozil, Sanchez, Welbeck is a quality attack. Arsenal are normally slow starters in the season, they'll pick up. Let's see how Pool deal with extra European fixtures this season.
Original post by Isometrix
Hmm I fancy Arsenal to edge Liverpool this season. Let Welbeck settle in too, he looked much better than Giroud.

Ramsey, Walcott, Ozil, Sanchez, Welbeck is a quality attack. Arsenal are normally slow starters in the season, they'll pick up. Let's see how Pool deal with extra European fixtures this season.

Arsenal are a half season team tbh rather than being slow starters. So they'll probably go ham for about 4 months.

Hmm, only Ramsey and Walcott(possibly welbeck) are quality.
Original post by jam278
Arsenal are a half season team tbh rather than being slow starters. So they'll probably go ham for about 4 months.

Hmm, only Ramsey and Walcott(possibly welbeck) are quality.

Alexis isn't quality?

What the **** are you smoking?
Original post by Stalin
Alexis isn't quality?

What the **** are you smoking?

Nothing just actually watched him in games other than the world cup. Guy scored a good goal but didn't make up for the fact that he's one of the most wasteful players on the ball, can't thread a final pass, can't cross and is very inconsistent when it comes to having any decent composure.

Same way Ramsey was pretty **** today but he got an assist.
Original post by jam278
Nothing just actually watched him in games other than the world cup. Guy scored a good goal but didn't make up for the fact that he's one of the most wasteful players on the ball, can't thread a final pass, can't cross and is very inconsistent when it comes to having any decent composure.

??????
Incredible dribbler, can cross very well (noone gets on the end of it), has scored in his last 3 games and scored 21 times for Barca last season despite playing on the wing and rarely starting a game (inconsistent my ass) and has an incredible work ethic.
You really should watch more games before making such a terrible judgement.
Original post by jam278

His work rate is second to none, and his ability to draw fouls in crucial areas or at crucial times, dribble, put in a defensive shift, and score have become vital to us.

I'll concede that some of his passes were abysmal and his set-pieces are a below par, but he has quality written across his forehead.

Koscielny doesn't get enough credit; and although Wilshere has his critics, and rightly so, he played very well and has a future ahead of him.

Our issue is injuries: if we can survive an entire season without our big guns being sidelined for months we'll have a good run. But with four injuries in four games it seems as if we're headed for more of the same. Damn shame, really, considering we have such a bright group of British/HG players who, if they continue to play together at the highest level and stay injury-free, will form the core of a very good team. Throw Alexis and Ozil, who are both 25, into the mix, and we have the potential, so long as we don't adhere to our selling club principles, to relinquish our 4th spot trophy and return to challenging for the title/CL.

Injuries and the lack of a competent DM are what's holding us back.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AliRizzo
??????
Incredible dribbler, can cross very well (noone gets on the end of it), has scored in his last 3 games and scored 21 times for Barca last season despite playing on the wing and rarely starting a game (inconsistent my ass) and has an incredible work ethic.
You really should watch more games before making such a terrible judgement.

did somebody say that Sanchez was a good crosser **** me man so if I put in a bunch of **** crosses and free kicks that don't get past the first man it's the other players fault.

I said wasteful on the ball not that he's a bad dribbler please read.

Sanchez was a starter for Barca for most of last season as Pedro got put on the bench **** me man talk about things you know don't bull**** like you know them Sanchez had more appearances for Barca in his last season than the season before despite the team playing less games.

I don't care about the system etc it's easier to ****ing score as an inside forward when you have Messi, Iniesta, Fabregas, Neymar and others setting up chances for you that's simple logic. Same with Ozil having to thread passes to Ronaldo and Di Maria.
Original post by Stalin
His work rate is second to none, and his ability to draw fouls in crucial areas or at crucial times, dribble, put in a defensive shift, and score have become vital to us.

I'll concede that some of his passes were abysmal and his set-pieces are a below par, but he has quality written across his forehead.

Koscielny doesn't get enough credit; and although Wilshere has his critics, and rightly so, he played very well and has a future ahead of him.

I agree, he seems to be able to get into good positions, I would like more from a winger personally but hey. He can draw fouls but he was essentially giving City the ball back in the resulting free kick so basically there was no point...

In terms of quality, well he's pretty inconsistent(which from his barca days in the 12/13 he got his first league goal in january...)

Our issue is injuries: if we can survive an entire season without our big guns being sidelined for months we'll have a good run. But with four injuries in four games it seems as if we're headed for more of the same. Damn shame, really, considering we have such a bright group of British/HG players who, if they continue to play together at the highest level and stay injury-free, will form the core of a very good team. Throw Alexis and Ozil, who are both 25, into the mix, and we have the potential, so long as we don't adhere to our selling club principles, to relinquish our 4th spot trophy and return to challenging for the title/CL.

Injuries and the lack of a competent DM are what's holding us back.

Yeah if you avoid injuries and get a DM you should do well. Although it's not the only problem, your lack of movement in and around the box for long periods of a game can affect you. I look at Chelsea and we flick the switch and suffocate the opposition for long periods to the point they give up. Arsenal can increase their tempo but they can't suffocate a team(pressing for second balls etc.) for a very sustained period of time.

Yeah I can see you challenging for the title/CL in a year or two if you can get a few key players in but tbh your team is largely average in certain areas. Chelsea have Costa and Remy you have Welbeck. AMs you're fine there, DM we have Matic and Mikel you have Arteta and Flamini. In key areas there is a clear disparity in strength, let alone the depth around the whole team.
Original post by jam278
did somebody say that Sanchez was a good crosser **** me man so if I put in a bunch of **** crosses and free kicks that don't get past the first man it's the other players fault.

I said wasteful on the ball not that he's a bad dribbler please read.

Sanchez was a starter for Barca for most of last season as Pedro got put on the bench **** me man talk about things you know don't bull**** like you know them Sanchez had more appearances for Barca in his last season than the season before despite the team playing less games.

I don't care about the system etc it's easier to ****ing score as an inside forward when you have Messi, Iniesta, Fabregas, Neymar and others setting up chances for you that's simple logic. Same with Ozil having to thread passes to Ronaldo and Di Maria.

I never tried to argue that he isn't wasteful on the ball I was simply bringing up another factor to determine his quality, PLEASE READ.
Secondly I support Barcelona not Arsenal (if I haven't made this evident) so I find it amusing when you try to talk to me about Alexis' appearances and game time, Wikipedia is not doing you justice.
Lastly, saying you 'don't care about the system' proves enough that you are unwilling to give recognition to a brilliant goal scoring record for a wide forward, bringing up his old teammates is a terrible excuse, the reverse can also be applied, why has Giroud not bagged a ****load of goals from Ozil's passes? Also, Di Maria does not even score many goals so I automatically assume you do not watch La Liga. Stay in your lane.
Original post by AliRizzo
I never tried to argue that he isn't wasteful on the ball I was simply bringing up another factor to determine his quality, PLEASE READ.
Secondly I support Barcelona not Arsenal (if I haven't made this evident) so I find it amusing when you try to talk to me about Alexis' appearances and game time, Wikipedia is not doing you justice.
Lastly, saying you 'don't care about the system' proves enough that you are unwilling to give recognition to a brilliant goal scoring record for a wide forward, bringing up his old teammates is a terrible excuse, the reverse can also be applied, why has Giroud not bagged a ****load of goals from Ozil's passes? Also, Di Maria does not even score many goals so I automatically assume you do not watch La Liga. Stay in your lane.

Alexis had a lot of gametime last season in comparison to his other seasons where he was consistently on the bench, yes tata martino rotated(but he did the same with Neymar and Pedro) but Sanchez got considerable gametime compared to what he was getting before hand...

Bit in bold is because Ozil requires fast forwards to play his game(aka not giroud) and was never actually that great a player, he just happened to be setting up Ronaldo and with his great final through ball. Sanchez plays with Messi, Fabregas and Iniesta if he isn't getting goals with the amount of appearances he gets then he's a terrible player.

Ozil plays well when the team is playing well, not the other way round.

When did I say that Di Maria scores a lot of goals ffs stop putting words into my mouth? Di Maria makes space for Ozil and is a good creative player, Benzema, Higuain, Ronaldo were the main goal threats during Ozil's time there but I included Di Maria because he creates space for Ozil, either via taking his position when Ozil goes right wing(e.g. CL semi final vs Bayern 2 years ago) or by him providing an option for Ozil to pass to.
(edited 9 years ago)
Nah Jam man, you're wrong here. Sanchez is a top player, no doubt about it. I just felt Arsenal relied on Sanchez too much today, most of their attacks sprung from Sanchez, especially those little dribbles from him, he looked dangerous. Ozil is nowhere to be seen at the moment, a shadow of a player from the 2010 World Cup and when he was at Real Madrid. Wenger NEEDS to play Ozil as an central AM, not out wide. He needs to support Sanchez more.

The thing with Chelsea is that, when things aren't going our way, Hazard will suddenly come alive and make a quick dribble past 2-3 players and suddenly the momentum is with Chelsea's. And then players like Fabregas turn up, and Costa turns up to finish the moves off. Arsenal don't have that killer switch, that can suddenly the momentum towards them. Sanchez is their best bet for that, but he's certainly no Hazard when it comes to dribbling and producing a goal-scoring chance out of nothing.
Original post by jam278
Alexis had a lot of gametime last season in comparison to his other seasons where he was consistently on the bench, yes tata martino rotated(but he did the same with Neymar and Pedro) but Sanchez got considerable gametime compared to what he was getting before hand...

Bit in bold is because Ozil requires fast forwards to play his game(aka not giroud) and was never actually that great a player, he just happened to be setting up Ronaldo and with his great final through ball. Sanchez plays with Messi, Fabregas and Iniesta if he isn't getting goals with the amount of appearances he gets then he's a terrible player.

Ozil plays well when the team is playing well, not the other way round.

When did I say that Di Maria scores a lot of goals ffs stop putting words into my mouth? Di Maria makes space for Ozil and is a good creative player, Benzema, Higuain, Ronaldo were the main goal threats during Ozil's time there but I included Di Maria because he creates space for Ozil, either via taking his position when Ozil goes right wing(e.g. CL semi final vs Bayern 2 years ago) or by him providing an option for Ozil to pass to.

I decided not to take you seriously once you said Ozil isn't a great player. You either do not watch football or do not appreciate the beautiful game. Also, incredibly, you managed to contradict yourself in the same paragraph. How can you say Ozil's game needs a fast player then say he isn't that great anyway after admitting Giroud is not the type of player he can play with?

I agree Ozil hasn't been playing great though. Mainly due to him being played out of position and when he is played in position he doesn't have much options. Welbeck will flourish if Ozil is given the chance to play behind him, and as long his finishing skills improve, guaranteed.

Latest