The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ospina confirmed.

On to the next one!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1741
Are any of you going to the Emirates cup games?
I'd be happy with Jenkinson to Swansea on a season loan and see how he does - Can't do much worse than Rangel did last season.
Original post by AR_95
Are any of you going to the Emirates cup games?

Nope, I'm in Belgium. But I'll be trying for a ticket to the Palace match.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1745
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12040/9396583/ligue-1-monacos-radamel-falcao-set-to-make-comeback-next-weekend

"The former Porto striker has been heavily linked with a move to Real Madrid, who have just signed his Colombia team-mate James Rodriguez"

Imagine he goes to Madrid. And we get Benzema.

Just, imagine.

We can't even rule it out any more
Not fussed about Benzema. I don't think we need him. I actually think Joel Campbell is good enough but that is just me probably. I would not even swap Campbell for Balo. Would put faith in Campbell and let Wenger work the magic, lad has the talent.
Reply 1747
Original post by Tom_Ford
Not fussed about Benzema. I don't think we need him. I actually think Joel Campbell is good enough but that is just me probably. I would not even swap Campbell for Balo. Would put faith in Campbell and let Wenger work the magic, lad has the talent.

Campbell over Benzema is absolute nonsense talk and I don't see where all this delusion is about him
Original post by AR_95
Campbell over Benzema is absolute nonsense talk and I don't see where all this delusion is about him

Put Campbell as backup striker, give him a season or two. Would rather we splash big on a CDM, all out on Vidal, than buy Benzema. Giroud works for the system we are now playing with the fast wing forwards. We have Chamberlain, Walcott and Sanchez who can play wing forward. All Giroud has to do is basically offer the physical presence.
Reply 1749
See that's the problem. Giroud is a good striker, but he's not lethal enough. Honestly, we wanna get revenge on Liverpool, Chelsea & City next season. I want us to rip um apart. I don't want a close 1-0 or 2-1 (if we do win) I want a 3,4,5-0.

We can't do that with Giroud.

I've always said Giroud is the perfect striker to have if you have someone more lethal too. Giroud is very good at holding the ball up top, something we would need when we're tryna see off the last few minutes when we're winning a game. He brings something new to the game if one system isn't working.

We should defo keep giroud but we need a more clinical striker too. We have the arguably the best midfield but what good is that if the person who leads our line isn't better than the likes of Aguero, Van Persie etc?

We're the Arsenal and we need to be absolutely lethal in our games. When was the last time we put more than 4 goals past a team?

Trust me, we NEED a clinical striker.

We're two signings away from being title contenders (if this chambers deal goes through). A CDM & a striker.
Reply 1750
Put Campbell as backup striker, give him a season or two. Would rather we splash big on a CDM, all out on Vidal, than buy Benzema. Giroud works for the system we are now playing with the fast wing forwards. We have Chamberlain, Walcott and Sanchez who can play wing forward. All Giroud has to do is basically offer the physical presence.

Initially you said we don't need Benzema because we have Campbell and I didn't see the point of the statement because Benzema is leaps beyond both Campbell and Giroud. Ofcourse I agree that the bigger priority right now is CDM so I would take Vidal over any other player right now. We're not going to sign Vidal, probably Schneiderlin instead or a player of similar calibre. Giroud is not the type of striker you win the league with and although he offers presence in the small games, he turns invisible in the big ones (arguably so do others) and a player like Benzema just adds so much more firepower to our attack.

Chamberlain, Walcott, Sanchez are all AM's. Our depth in the striker department is quite shocking compared to our rivals.
Reply 1751
Original post by AR_95
Initially you said we don't need Benzema because we have Campbell and I didn't see the point of the statement because Benzema is leaps beyond both Campbell and Giroud. Ofcourse I agree that the bigger priority right now is CDM so I would take Vidal over any other player right now. We're not going to sign Vidal, probably Schneiderlin instead or a player of similar calibre. Giroud is not the type of striker you win the league with and although he offers presence in the small games, he turns invisible in the big ones (arguably so do others) and a player like Benzema just adds so much more firepower to our attack.

Chamberlain, Walcott, Sanchez are all AM's. Our depth in the striker department is quite shocking compared to our rivals.

Thank you.

We have one senior striker. And that one senior striker is Giroud.

Giroud is a good player, but we will not win the league with that strike force. We won't put fear in other teams with that strike force either :/
Reply 1752
Original post by SHOO

We're two signings away from being title contenders (if this chambers deal goes through). A CDM & a striker.

Funny enough it was these two positions we were crying out for ALL year, arguably the biggest 2 out of all the positions we needed, but yet to actually fill for them. People were calling for Giroud's head for a reason and it seems like everyone has forgotten what type of a player he really is.

Absolute work horse, good presence, link up play and reliable to stay fit. Checklist for why he should be our BACK UP striker and not the one to lead our line. Would Giroud actually start for City, UTD, Chelsea, Pool, **** even Everton last season?

Even with Sanchez and a new CDM we're not finishing above 3rd at all and arguably will only reach the Semi's in the CL if we were lucky. Hardly a massive improvement tbh we have all the resources to compete for the PL but right now even on this thread no one is predicting us to finish above City and Chelsea, rightly so. A player like Benzema or of similar quality would put us up there squad wise with Chelsea and City then by that point there'd be no excuses not to win the league.
Madrid surely will fail FFP if they spend big on Falcao even with he sale of Benzema though? That's why I don't see it.
Reply 1754
Original post by Pete_91
Madrid surely will fail FFP if they spend big on Falcao even with he sale of Benzema though? That's why I don't see it.

Would they? Isn't their revenue like sky high
Reply 1755
Apparently bendtner was about to sign for Frankfurt and it fell through because he demanded. 40k a week and 30k for every point gained in the league :tongue: such a joker ... Such a character
Original post by AR_95

Benzema is not a top class striker. He is not leaps and bounds above Giroud. Do you even watch football? Also Benzema is not a big game player. Would rather save the money and buy a proper top class striker.
Reply 1757
Benzema is not a top class striker. He is not leaps and bounds above Giroud. Do you even watch football? Also Benzema is not a big game player. Would rather save the money and buy a proper top class striker.

Like who exactly then?
Original post by AR_95
Would they? Isn't their revenue like sky high

They've spent 70odd million on Rodriguez though, surely their revenue isn't enough to account for an increase in net spend on last of year of probably 50m.
Original post by AR_95
Like who exactly then?

When one becomes available, would rather wait or pay less for a competent goalscorer as an alternative to Giroud. Benzema is a desperation big money signing. He is not a big game player by himself, just a slight improvement on Giroud. Truly great CF's step up and make a difference when needed. Plenty of good strikers can score goals when things are going well and their team are cruising to three and four goal victories. Especially when supplied all around by Real Madrid teammates that make you look better than you are. But Benzema is not a striker that strikes me as being able to make key decisions at big times, i.e. the mark of a great striker.

Latest