Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm in the middle of drafting my PS and I've found that I am running out of characters as I feel it's important to talk in detail about my work experience, further reading etc. Is it a good idea to not write anything about extra-curricular? (All I really have is playing rugby anyway)
    Also, a lot of statements talk about the skills gained through A Level study...but the way I see it is, admissions tutors will know the skills developed in A Level maths as well as you do so telling them doesn't really add anything to your application.

Could I save characters by showing the skills I've developed elsewhere? To allow myself to elaborate on other experiences.

ReputationRep:
    No help? No?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frank the Tankk)
    No help? No?
    Your post was pretty vague, try submitting a PS draft to the PS help forum on here and see what one of the helpers says.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Damask-)
    Your post was pretty vague, try submitting a PS draft to the PS help forum on here and see what one of the helpers says.
    Yea, you're actually quite right. What I meant was, is it ok to put in little to no extra-curricular?

Also, because I've got a lot of practical experiences/extra reading that I'd like to write about in detail...is it ok to write nothing about your academic pursuits in school? (like I said, the admissions tutors will know the skills gained in A Level maths)

I'm aware of how important maths is in CS, so I was intending to read up on discrete mathematics for computing but I don't know where to fit it in and I don't intend to read too heavily into it either.

ReputationRep:
    Yea, you're actually quite right. What I meant was, is it ok to put in little to no extra-curricular?

Also, because I've got a lot of practical experiences/extra reading that I'd like to write about in detail...is it ok to write nothing about your academic pursuits in school? (like I said, the admissions tutors will know the skills gained in A Level maths)

I'm aware of how important maths is in CS, so I was intending to read up on discrete mathematics for computing but I don't know where to fit it in and I don't intend to read too heavily into it either.
    Everything you've listed sounds relevant in a PS (including the academic stuff you're considering cutting) so the question is, what have you filled your PS up with such that you can't get all this stuff in?

ReputationRep:
    Everything you've listed sounds relevant in a PS (including the academic stuff you're considering cutting) so the question is, what have you filled your PS up with such that you can't get all this stuff in?
    So far I've written my introduction, a paragraph on my reading and how it in combination with CS50 confirmed that CS was the degree for me. Then went on to finding practical experience, wrote about how I completed a placement in a software dev office and learnt python and a para about the bursary placement I'm currently on.

So I'm sitting on around 3400 chars. I'm unsure whether I should just embellish my current content and conclude or try to condense it and add some stuff on maths and extra-curricular.

ReputationRep:
    So far I've written my introduction, a paragraph on my reading and how it in combination with CS50 confirmed that CS was the degree for me. Then went on to finding practical experience, wrote about how I completed a placement in a software dev office and learnt python and a para about the bursary placement I'm currently on.

So I'm sitting on around 3400 chars. I'm unsure whether I should just embellish my current content and conclude or try to condense it and add some stuff on maths and extra-curricular.
    Condense those first two paragraphs into one introduction - long introductions can be the downfall of a good PS. Get to the good stuff, and quickly.

Cut the bursary paragraph to a few sentences max, and the placement to a short(er) paragraph. Work experience isn't all too important for CS, though keep in the mention of Python.

ReputationRep:
    Condense those first two paragraphs into one introduction - long introductions can be the downfall of a good PS. Get to the good stuff, and quickly.

Cut the bursary paragraph to a few sentences max, and the placement to a short(er) paragraph. Work experience isn't all too important for CS, though keep in the mention of Python.
    Ok, thanks for the help. I thought that the bursary and such would be the focal point of my PS as I've learnt a lot from it, it's running calabash tests for a media streaming app btw...imo, it's somewhat unique so I wanted it to stand out.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.