Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anti paedophile measures/technology Watch

ReputationRep:
    What measures could be put in place to keep children away from paedophiles?

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately not very much. The 2014 statistics show that 90% of children abused were abused by someone they knew. This can be a family member, a neighbour, anything. Until you find a way of keeping children away from men in general it's pretty difficult.

ReputationRep:
    You're looking at this the wrong way.

Electric shock device tied to the penis of the paedophile, once they get within a certain proximity of an area with children it activates

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ufo2012)
    You're looking at this the wrong way.

Electric shock device tied to the penis of the paedophile, once they get within a certain proximity of an area with children it activates
    That's just cruel.

ReputationRep:
    Any child retarded enough to walk off with a man who offers them sweets when they've had this talk with their parents...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infairverona)
    Unfortunately not very much. The 2014 statistics show that 90% of children abused were abused by someone they knew. This can be a family member, a neighbour, anything. Until you find a way of keeping children away from men in general it's pretty difficult.
    And women.

I propose therefore that we equip all children with a forcefield, thus preventing anyone from getting within ten feet of one. We should also give them all EMP transmitters, disabling all electronics in the area so that it's impossible for anyone to take a photo of a child.

You may think it's a bit over the top, but I can't think of any other foolproof way to foil paedophiles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arbolus)
    And women.

I propose therefore that we equip all children with a forcefield, thus preventing anyone from getting within ten feet of one. We should also give them all EMP transmitters, disabling all electronics in the area so that it's impossible for anyone to take a photo of a child.

You may think it's a bit over the top, but I can't think of any other foolproof way to foil paedophiles.
    Sorry, that was insensitive of me.

P.s. I wasn't suggesting that keeping children away from people was an appropriate or plausible idea, more that because children are mostly abused by someone they know, there doesn't seem to be many preventative measures because how do you know who is a paedophile?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gjaykay)
    That's just cruel.
    Not sure how?

It's for the safety of everyone involved, including the paedo.

ReputationRep:
    Better parenting probably.

ReputationRep:
    We could perhaps get better at diagnosing them before they actually do anything and pre-emptively intervene somehow?

ReputationRep:
    Ban binoculars.

ReputationRep:
    As absurd as it may sound, get them help.

If we remove the "forbidden fruit" part of paedophilia, and instead treat it as more of a mental illness, people may be more forthcoming about their desires and seek help.

Instead, people cannot talk about it, and instead may come out in dangerous and unpredictable ways.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with that we should give them help before they offend without labeling them as criminals. Some people have these attractions to young children yet never act on it, at the same time they can't come forward to get help because of the stigma attached to it. How many therapists will offer to treat someone who is attracted to children? Not many I'd bet. Supposedly many start feeling this "attraction" in their teens, it's awkward enough trying to grow up with all the changes going on etc, imagine realizing you were attracted to 6yos but had no one to talk to about it. That'd screw you up.

ReputationRep:
    Round up paedophiles and have them all summarily executed. Problem solved.

Although the House of Commons might look a bit bare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    As absurd as it may sound, get them help.

If we remove the "forbidden fruit" part of paedophilia, and instead treat it as more of a mental illness, people may be more forthcoming about their desires and seek help.

Instead, people cannot talk about it, and instead may come out in dangerous and unpredictable ways.
    I disagree. Just my opinion, but this is the only group of people, along with all other sex offenders, that I think deserve the death penalty. They make a CHOICE to violate children. Just as they have the option to restrain theirselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dani California)
    I disagree. Just my opinion, but this is the only group of people, along with all other sex offenders, that I think deserve the death penalty. They make a CHOICE to violate children. Just as they have the option to restrain theirselves.
    Well, I'm speaking more about paedophiles who haven't commited any acts yet. While I'm not going to get into the death penalty and why I'm against it, acting before someone commits a crime is preferable.

Like with rape and all sexual abuse, the boogie man of someone lying in wait at the dark does not describe the majority of cases. If such desires were seen as a mental illness, something to be treated, it may prompt potential paedophiles to take a step back and think "I better talk to a therapist" rather than "if anyone finds out about these thoughts, I'm dead".

ReputationRep:
    Stop leaving people who you don't 100% trust near your kids.

Mothers in particular who split up with the child's father and then bring in another man to live in the house are seriously putting their children in danger. Often, these women will be aware of the abuse but will be too weak, pathetic and obsessed with said man's D to keep him away from her kids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dani California)
    Paedophilia is the term given to the psychiatric disorder of being attracted to prepubescent children. A choice is made when paedophiles ACT on their urges and become child molesters. Until that point, are they to blame for what's going on in their head?

This post is exactly the problem here. People conflate the two without realising that some paedophiles are trying hard to control their urges. What can they do about their disorder when it is such a terrible stigma? I'm not saying those that molest children are at all excusable, but I'm sure we'd be controlling the issue a lot better if we reconsidered our stance on paedophilia as a society. We should be helping paedophiles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moosferatu)
    Round up paedophiles and have them all summarily executed. Problem solved.

Although the House of Commons might look a bit bare.
    Paedophiles (who have not committed any act of crime against a child) should be treated and have therapists to speak to about their thoughts as a preventative measure to make sure they never do commit a crime, not killed as that is just barbaric. Only paedophiles who have taken the choice to go ahead and commit a crime based on their urges should be punished.

And this is coming from someone who finds this a very sensitive issue on a personal level and I still don't scream "shoot them all in the head"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xotol)
    Paedophilia is the term given to the psychiatric disorder of being attracted to prepubescent children. A choice is made when paedophiles ACT on their urges and become child molesters. Until that point, are they to blame for what's going on in their head?

This post is exactly the problem here. People conflate the two without realising that some paedophiles are trying hard to control their urges. What can they do about their disorder when it is such a terrible stigma? I'm not saying those that molest children are at all excusable, but I'm sure we'd be controlling the issue a lot better if we reconsidered our stance on paedophilia as a society. We should be helping paedophiles.
    I agree, until they act, it's not a crime. But if you read my post, I stated that it was directed to those that act on their urges. EDIT- however, I've no interest in how hard they tried to control theirselves. They should try harder.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 11, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.