Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do students think about Tony? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello Student room. I read an article today about Tony Blair and had some mixed feelings about it. I'm interested to see what your thoughts are on the subject of Tony Blair.

This is the Article:

http://enragedcitizen.com/the-irony-of-tony-blair/

Share you views ...

ReputationRep:
    The man dismantled the Labour Party, completely pushing the traditional working class out of politics. He was the heir to Thatcher, did nothing to slow the decline of Britain's manufacturing industries, let the floodgates open to immigrants in order to drive wages, sow division and make it easier for the corporations and the political elite to divide and rule the masses. Not to mention he took us into an illegal war and presided over the introduction of absurd counter-terrorism measures that we see expanding today with the threat of ISIS giving all the major parties a chance to erode our freedoms further.

Thatcher, as wicked and evil as she was, had a touch of old style British politics about her. Perhaps it simply wasn't time to enslave the electorate yet. Blair however, should be remembered by all decent working people of this country as a war criminal and quite frankly I'll jump for joy if the man is on trial in the Hague.

ReputationRep:
    Hello new member

Its a very narrowly scoped article. Just looking at some aspects of foriegn policy int he middle east.

Did you write the 'article' (blog)?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Blair was great. Sure he made some mistakes but his foreign policy and health reforms were great.

I blame Brown for the economy.

ReputationRep:
    Regardless of his antics in the middle east, Tony Blair represents New Labour and a fundamental shift toward the free market/neoliberal consensus within the UK.

My faith is in Ed Miliband to reverse the Thatcherite tendency within the Labour Party.

Tony Blair certainly wasn't the right Tony for the job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesGibson)
    Regardless of his antics in the middle east, Tony Blair represents New Labour and a fundamental shift toward the free market/neoliberal consensus within the UK.

My faith is in Ed Miliband to reverse the Thatcherite tendency within the Labour Party.

Millibands won't do ****. The man's a sellout, he unconvincingly tries to be a 'catch-all' politician and just looks wet as a result and believes in the Zionist mission just as Cameron and Clegg do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moosferatu)
    Millibands won't do ****. The man's a sellout, he unconvincingly tries to be a 'catch-all' politician and just looks wet as a result and believes in the Zionist mission just as Cameron and Clegg do.
    Miliband believes in the Zionist mission?

ReputationRep:
    Miliband believes in the Zionist mission?
    Support for Israel and its machinations. Tied into the network of corporate control and political falsehood.

ReputationRep:
    Blair was a clever move - Labour has never won by shifting left, Blair brought in votes from people who previously would never have considered voting Labour and brought an end to 18 years of Tory rule. He had a good cabinet behind him and did a lot of good - minimum wage in law, lowest NHS waiting times etc.

At the same time a) he's a horrible person and b) all this was overshadowed by a stupid decision to invade Iraq.

Blair is was a great leader, had great plans and it hell of a lot better than Cameron and Miliband, if Blair came back into Labour as leader, I'd back him rather than the Tories.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by redferry)
      Labour has never won by shifting left
      Not so; the Labour Party of 1964 was to the left of the Labour Party of 1959, and the February 1974 manifesto was more radical than the 'longest suicide note in history' manifesto of 1983 (let alone 1970). A case can also be made for 1945 Labour being to the left of 1935 Labour, although that's a somewhat different story.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ottom)
      Not so; the Labour Party of 1964 was to the left of the Labour Party of 1959, and the February 1974 manifesto was more radical than the 'longest suicide note in history' manifesto of 1983 (let alone 1970). A case can also be made for 1945 Labour being to the left of 1935 Labour, although that's a somewhat different story.
      The whole reason we got a second term of thatcher was by shifting left though.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by redferry)
      The whole reason we got a second term of thatcher was by shifting left though.
      We got a second term of Thatcher because, among other things (Falklands, media hatred of Labour, failures of the previous Labour government), the party lost its discipline. Harold Wilson was a committed Bevanite and so was Michael Foot. But the latter did not have the party management and PR skills of the former and so the Labour Party entered into civil war, thus ensuring another Thatcher term.
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ottom)
      We got a second term of Thatcher because, among other things (Falklands, media hatred of Labour, failures of the previous Labour government), the party lost its discipline. Harold Wilson was a committed Bevanite and so was Michael Foot. But the latter did not have the party management and PR skills of the former and so the Labour Party entered into civil war, thus ensuring another Thatcher term.
      Excuses IMO.

You were always going to lose 83 because having given the Tories a chance in 79, a lot of the electorate approved of the war on the unions.

Similarly, they were always going to lose 87 because having lost 83 the electorate had let Thatcher free the market and approved of it.

79 and 92 were winnable but 83 and 87 were always going to go Thatchers way mid term polling or not.

ReputationRep:
      Great leader, great PM. It's a real shame he's being vilified so much. He should be remembered as at least a very good PM and for some reason people think worse of him than Thatcher.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by tehFrance)
      Blair is was a great leader, had great plans and it hell of a lot better than Cameron and Miliband, if Blair came back into Labour as leader, I'd back him rather than the Tories.
      Agreed. The sad thing about our democracy is that people like Blair don't get to learn from their mistakes and other leaders continue to commit them.

ReputationRep:
      Indeed. We would have been better served under a Tony who came years before Blair.
      • Wiki Support Team
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      He's probably the best leader the Tories never had. I actually think he was a pretty good Prime Minister, but I take issue with a lot of the things his government did. With a little bit more fiscal responsibility, I think I would have been able to come in thread and declare it a success, but the way things actually turned out... I'm not so sure if I can say that. I don't put it down to him though, I put it down to most of the Brownites, and of course Brown himself especially. I just get the feeling that Blair's own personal vision of what New Labour was supposed to be about would have been better realised if he was leading a team of moderate Tories, which may be an odd claim. But I've always had this niggling feeling that a lot of his team were aching for a return to a Kinnock style Labour Party and only kept up the New Labour facade for the sake of keeping their jobs and staying in government. Obviously New Labour was mainly a brand designed to get them back into power at any cost, but I think Tony truly believed in it.

ReputationRep:
      I really am baffled by the complete hatred by Blair. I don't fully agree with Blairite politics, but I truly can not fathom the vociferous execration towards it. Yes Capital Gains was lowered to a low level that created a regressive taxation system, yes inequality increased under his watch, okay he went to war in the middle east.

None of these were completely disastrous, in fact the biggest qualm I did have was Brown for selling gold at a historic low. If anything Brown showed himself to be completely out of touch with economics when he took office.

Perhaps I live in a bubble though, and I am a centrist in many respects so anything left makes me cringe a little at times.

ReputationRep:
      Best Conservative Prime Minister the UK has ever had.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.