Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sat in the city centre and cried today...... Watch

The rationale? Underemployment, under-qualified, friendless, talentless, socially awkward cretin that will never get a job or never achieve something in life..
    The only hope that I have is a master’s that I am starting in September at Nottingham University, which I won a scholarship for.. but with my chaos where will that lead?
    I have ADHD/Aspergers... I have an abusive parent and live in a really **** area..
    What can I do?

ReputationRep:
    First start off by not being so hard on yourself, you will never get anywhere with that sort of attitude.

ReputationRep:
    Well you must have some talent and education if you've got a scholarship to Nottingham Uni.

Quit moaning... you're better off than alot of people. Nottingham Uni is a very good uni, and you'll meet tons of people in your first year, just chat with people who live near you and move in with them in the next year... simples.

ReputationRep:
    What's your masters in?

(Original post by AdamCee)
    What's your masters in?
    Management, I know I am going to **** it up...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    The rationale? Underemployment, under-qualified, friendless, talentless, socially awkward cretin that will never get a job or never achieve something in life..
    The only hope that I have is a master’s that I am starting in September at Nottingham University, which I won a scholarship for.. but with my chaos where will that lead?
    I have ADHD/Aspergers... I have an abusive parent and live in a really **** area..
    What can I do?
    Hello,

Despite all the difficult stuff you have on your plate, this is fantastic: you're starting a Masters at a fantastic school. Forget everything else, think about the opportunities that are ahead of you.

You can move out, make new friends (or avoid those who you don't like!) and get focused on your studies, and your future. What are you out to study, where do you want to be in the next few years?

Many people would kill to be on a masters, they're expensive things and you got to be clever - so securing a place is a real achievement! And, I lived with a guy who has Aspergers for three years, and we got on real fine. Don't you worry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Management, I know I am going to **** it up...
    You have a scholarship so they clearly don't think that. You haven't even started the degree yet so you don't know that either

Think like that and you will **** it up...

(Original post by MatthewJoeCarr)
    Well you must have some talent and education if you've got a scholarship to Nottingham Uni.

Quit moaning... you're better off than alot of people. Nottingham Uni is a very good uni, and you'll meet tons of people in your first year, just chat with people who live near you and move in with them in the next year... simples.

Thank you for the advice.

Means a lot to me. I guess me trying to make friends would be good for me. But if I get burned, which I invariably do, it saps my confidence and affects my studies..

(Original post by Reeeeyah)
    First start off by not being so hard on yourself, you will never get anywhere with that sort of attitude.
    Thanks I guess its an attitude adjustments..

(Original post by Sloppy Jumpers)
    Hello,

Despite all the difficult stuff you have on your plate, this is fantastic: you're starting a Masters at a fantastic school. Forget everything else, think about the opportunities that are ahead of you.

You can move out, make new friends (or avoid those who you don't like!) and get focused on your studies, and your future. What are you out to study, where do you want to be in the next few years?

Many people would kill to be on a masters, they're expensive things and you got to be clever - so securing a place is a real achievement! And, I lived with a guy who has Aspergers for three years, and we got on real fine. Don't you worry!

I am dreading someone is going to screw this up for me. I have a father who is really abusive and will stop me going anywhere. I feel suffocated. Asian and abusive family..

(Original post by Sloppy Jumpers)
    Hello,

Your advice means lot to me..

Thanks so much...

I want to work the BBC..

ReputationRep:
    Well there are others out there with similar stories or their own burdens remember that... everyone is living their own hollywood movie with it's ups and downs.

Remember you're the star in your own movie and only you can change the ending and how each day plays out. Why is your father abusive? Is it because of what you've done OR is it problems in his life? Maybe his father was the same and he doesn't know any better. Maybe his boss is a total tool and he takes it out on you as he'd be fired if he vented at work.

Many many things... But focus on what you have and are doing. You might not get to work in the BBC (It's a big old boys club... you can only really get in if you know someone inside) There are plenty of other options though... look at the internet there is multiple media venues on there, you have lots of US satellite channels with UK bases you could join, HBO, Showtime and FOX to name 3 that are doing very well.

Fact is humanity has never had it this good EVER... we have a global instantaneous communications network and are on the verge of 'The Singularity'. Ok, cry now and then, but pick yourself back up and continue... know what puts you down and focus on what you want.

If not... watch this clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ2HcRl4wSk

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.