Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

M265 - Motion on Allegations of Electoral Fraud in Tower Hamlets Watch

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    M265 - Motion on Allegations of Electoral Fraud in Tower Hamlets, The Rt. Hon. Cryptographic MPThis House is deeply concerned about allegations and discrepancies in almost all election in Tower Hamlets in the recent years. Therefore we request that the Electoral Commission and the police conduct a full investigation into every allegation made in reference to any elections in Tower Hamlets where the winner is currently incumbent. Therefore we request the Greater London Authority take over all electoral responsibilities, temporarily suspend postal votes and from now until the conclusion of the investigations post at least 5 police officers at all places of voting.

This House agrees that it is unfortunate that there appears to be extreme perversion of British democracy in this area and if the allegations are proved correct we would support the strongest measures against those who have been proved guilty.

ReputationRep:
    Hear hear! The recent elections in Tower Hamlets were anything but democratic and some candidate used their activities to intimidate the counters in to forcing them to make the incumbent win. At no point was the original or re-count fair, I recommend fellow MP's to back this motion in the name of free and fair elections and ultimately democracy.

ReputationRep:
    Nay, I live in Tower Hamlets and all the allegations amount to is Islamaphobic media *******s. We've had so many investigations and none of them have turned out the faintest scrap of evidence. It is also a blatant affront to democracy to suspend postal votes when the demographics using them are overwhelmingly in favour of one particular set of candidates.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I think these allegations need to be proven correct before we hand over electoral responsibility to another authority.

I have seen some concerns which look genuine, but also others which just look like sour grapes.

It's best to hear back from the Electoral Commission before making a decision on this issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    Nay, I live in Tower Hamlets and all the allegations amount to is Islamaphobic media *******s. We've had so many investigations and none of them have turned out the faintest scrap of evidence. It is also a blatant affront to democracy to suspend postal votes when the demographics using them are overwhelmingly in favour of one particular set of candidates.
    The problem is that there have been massive discrepancies in postal voting. Perhaps other measures could be put in place to perform the same function until it finishes. One very notable example is one person who has died in pakistan 5 years before then started voting.I myself was in Tower Hamlets on an election day recently, and the 2 person limit/pressure rule (per person/party) was most certainly being broken, that alone is very bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birchington)
    I think these allegations need to be proven correct before we hand over electoral responsibility to another authority.

I have seen some concerns which look genuine, but also others which just look like sour grapes.

It's best to hear back from the Electoral Commission before making a decision on this issue.
    With the electoral responsibility being handed over, the fact that it took days to count one ward, and it took almost twice as long as all other boroughs in London to count up is if nothing else proof of incompetence at (best case) an unintentional level.

ReputationRep:
    Given the opposition of some in this thread I don't know enough to comment on this, so will probably abstain.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Aye

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Tricky matter this. On the one hand it does seem a little reactionary but one can't ignore the possibility of a disgusting perversion of the democratic process. There is definitely something going wrong (wether it is corruption or just incompetence as Crypto mentioned) and I agree that sweeping action is the best way to restore public faith in the system.

Aye.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cryptographic)
    The problem is that there have been massive discrepancies in postal voting. Perhaps other measures could be put in place to perform the same function until it finishes. One very notable example is one person who has died in pakistan 5 years before then started voting.I myself was in Tower Hamlets on an election day recently, and the 2 person limit/pressure rule (per person/party) was most certainly being broken, that alone is very bad.
    I think that's partly because Tower Hamlets First in particular has done a fantastic job in engaging the community, they have many a very passionate supporter who is not an official member or campaigner. We've already had police on every polling station - and surprise surprise they didn't report any major incidents.

ReputationRep:
    I am not sure about giving the GLA responsibility, but agree there needs to be a proper investigation into the allegations that have been made over several years. It is partly because of these that individual electoral registration is being introduced, which has repercussions for the electoral process and turnout.

ReputationRep:
    Aye to every single allegation being thoroughly investigated. No to removing electoral powers, until allegations are founded and backed by a strong body of evidence- innocent until proven guilty and all that.

ReputationRep:
    Abstain
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    This is in cessation.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    This has been withdrawn.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 24, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.