Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should Jews, Christians and Muslims be segregated? Watch

ReputationRep:
    These 3 religions, all rooted in the same Abrahamic traditions, have been responsible for most of the wars and genocides of the past 2000 years.

Christianity wiped out the indigenous cultures of Europe and the Americas. Islam wiped out the indigenous cultures of much of the Middle east and Africa. Jews have done nothing but rebel against their host nations for thousands of years, and now that they have their own state, they too are acting like Christians and Muslims and wiping out the indigenous people themselves.

It seems to me that most of the trouble in the world is being caused by these faiths, which are like 3 squabbling siblings.

Would it be better for humanity if we just separated them into their own region, Antarctica maybe, and just let them get on with it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imtelling)
    These 3 religions, all rooted in the same Abrahamic traditions, have been responsible for most of the wars and genocides of the past 2000 years.
    This is a much repeated misconception.

A recent study found The majority of all wars (44/73 or 60 percent) had no religious motivation whatsoever -- a zero rating. Only three wars -- the Arab conquests of 632-732, the much ballyhooed Crusades, and the Reformation Wars of the 16th and 17th centuries - earned a 5, and were thus considered to be truly religious wars. Only seven wars earned a rating of 3 or more -- less than 10 percent. Thus, the vast majority of all wars involved either no religious motivation or only a modest one.

So please amend your OP to say " Have been responsible for ten percent of the wars in the last 3500 years"

Same runs for Genocides, overhwelminly they are based on ethnic and tribal grounds and very very, very rarely on religious.

Linkity Link for Studyity Study

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Three Mile Sprint)
    This is a much repeated misconception.

A recent study found The majority of all wars (44/73 or 60 percent) had no religious motivation whatsoever -- a zero rating. Only three wars -- the Arab conquests of 632-732, the much ballyhooed Crusades, and the Reformation Wars of the 16th and 17th centuries - earned a 5, and were thus considered to be truly religious wars. Only seven wars earned a rating of 3 or more -- less than 10 percent. Thus, the vast majority of all wars involved either no religious motivation or only a modest one.

So please amend your OP to say " Have been responsible for ten percent of the wars in the last 3500 years"

Same runs for Genocides, overhwelminly they are based on ethnic and tribal grounds and very very, very rarely on religious.

Linkity Link for Studyity Study

Much of the planet is now dominated by these faiths. This happened through genocide of native and indigenous cultures and peoples.

ReputationRep:

Christianity wiped out the indigenous cultures of Europe and the Americas. Islam wiped out the indigenous cultures of much of the Middle east and Africa. Jews have done nothing but rebel against their host nations for thousands of years, and now that they have their own state, they too are acting like Christians and Muslims and wiping out the indigenous people themselves.

It seems to me that most of the trouble in the world is being caused by these faiths, which are like 3 squabbling siblings.

Would it be better for humanity if we just separated them into their own region, Antarctica maybe, and just let them get on with it?

No... I'd say bad people who use religion as their motive should be segregated.

What's with the generalisations here on TSR? I'm a Christian and I don't see why I should be segregated when I've done nothing wrong? Even before becoming one I never did anything worthy of being segregated. There are many Jews, Christians and Muslims out there who are good and don't use their beliefs to commit terrible acts. So no, only the bad ones should be segregated thanks. Also there have been A LOT of wars that happened that weren't based on religion.

Also, what the hell is up with some people on TSR and constantly bashing the religious? Please get over it. Not all of us are bad.

ReputationRep:
    Much of the planet is now dominated by these faiths. This happened through genocide of native and indigenous cultures and peoples.
    Balderdash.

It happened primarily through peaceful social migration and trade, the vast majority of the "conquests" described in the OT never happened, modern archaeology has determined the Hebrews had a few generations of border skirmishes and eventually just interbred with the surrounding nations, thus the huge period of idol-worship and general straying from YHVH which the prophets got all wound up about.
    Christianity likewise spread through excessively zelous missionary work and cultural subversion, this "Christians came by the sword!" concept is completely unfounded and not supported by any historical fact.

Granted for Islam there was a huge military push over a hundred year period which saw conquered lands converted, but even then, that wasn't genocide it was warfare, conquored nations were treat unusually well and even Islam s rapid military growth stagnated and it's expansion went the same route as Christianity i.e trade and cultural integration.

Learn to history my friend.

ReputationRep:
    There should be segregation of Muslims and the non-Muslims. I'm in favour of that as a Muslim.

ReputationRep:
    What the hell? Of course not, this would only cause more problems.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they should be in separate wards of the asylum, so as to avoid conflict between inmates.

ReputationRep:
    I think this approach to religions might "blow up" in your face...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Three Mile Sprint)
    Balderdash.

It happened primarily through peaceful social migration and trade, the vast majority of the "conquests" described in the OT never happened, modern archaeology has determined the Hebrews had a few generations of border skirmishes and eventually just interbred with the surrounding nations, thus the huge period of idol-worship and general straying from YHVH which the prophets got all wound up about.
    Christianity likewise spread through excessively zelous missionary work and cultural subversion, this "Christians came by the sword!" concept is completely unfounded and not supported by any historical fact.

Granted for Islam there was a huge military push over a hundred year period which saw conquered lands converted, but even then, that wasn't genocide it was warfare, conquored nations were treat unusually well and even Islam s rapid military growth stagnated and it's expansion went the same route as Christianity i.e trade and cultural integration.

Learn to history my friend.

This is absolutely absurd. Islam and Christianity have spread through imperialism and conquest.

Formal Islamic and Christian imperialism only ended last century after the fall of the Ottoman and European Empires -- but, Islamic imperialism is now back with the declaration of the Caliphate in Iraq and Syria.

The only reason why Judaism has not spread through imperialism and conquest, is because its a racially exclusive branch of the Abrahamic faiths, and so their numbers are very small.

ReputationRep:
    This is absolutely absurd. Islam and Christianity have spread through imperialism and conquest.
    Recorded history disagrees with you , Christianity made the bulk of it's territorial gains between the 1-5th century's, exclusively through missionary work and piggybacking of the reach of the Roman Empire.

They didn't march through Greece or Europe, or Asia swinging swords just words.

For the record I dislike Christianity immensely, I just dislike seeing blatant lies spread even more.

Formal Islamic and Christian imperialism only ended last century after the fall of the Ottoman and European Empires -- but, Islamic imperialism is now back with the declaration of the Caliphate in Iraq and Syria.
    Pfft a deceleration the rest of the Muslim world gives the middle finger to.

Not even Al-Qaueda or hardline Sunni Clerics agree with ISIS and it's interpretations.

The only reason why Judaism has not spread through imperialism and conquest, is because its a racially exclusive branch of the Abrahamic faiths, and so their numbers are very small.
    Yet between 1200-300 BC they had hundreds of thousands of converts which comprised that racial stock.

Funny that.

ReputationRep:
    Yes because humans are idiots who cant live amongst differences.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

So all Christians, Muslims and Jews are bad now?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.