Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter


    I've been having trouble proving my residency. First some background information: I'm from the Netherlands, but moved to the UK in October 2010. I've been living with my girlfriends parents since 2010.

    From 2011-2014 I went to college, and decided to go University.
    I got a place at De Montfort for 2014-2015, however I'm having big trouble to sort out my student finance.

    My application keeps being rejected, because I don't have enough proof of residency, mostly from the years 2011-2012. I managed to sort out a bank account halfway of 2012, so I got bank statements backing me up for the rest. It's just 2011-2012 that's the problem.

    I sent them many documents from college that proof that I have been going to college from 2011-2012, such as:

    -A personal letter from my tutor, confirming that I've been attending college from 2011-2014, and that I've been living at my address.
    -Receipts for my course costs, that show my address and that I've been attending the college from 2011-2014.
    -My EBS file that shows my address.

    I also included an Affidavit where I swore that I lived at that address.

    Yet they keep rejecting me. Today I phoned them up and asked whats wrong with the proof I sent them. The lady from Student Finance England claimed that the documents I sent them don't have my address on it. However I told her that the college receipts do have my address on it.

    She had a look through my documents and said something like "Oh yes, I can see the address now." She then told me to send a copy of the receipts and anything else with my address on it AGAIN, but point out the address on everything clearly. I don't understand this because she already has them?

    Since this shows that they don't seem to look through my documents properly, it makes me think that sending them again would be pointless. And I can't really think of any other proof from 2011-2012 that could have my address on it. The only thing I can think of is to include a letter of my girlfriend's dad, who can confirm that I've been living in his home from October 2010.

    What makes this all even more complicated is that I have to pay the full cost of my halls of residence by the 1st of August. I will be able to pay this, however I'm afraid that if I won't be eligible for student finance, I will lose everything I paid for the halls. (Because I won't be attending uni, wasting all that money) I'm even thinking of just not going into halls, but stay in my girlfriends house for another year, just to not risk losing my money.

    What would be the best thing I could do? Send Student Finance England all my documents that prove my residence again, in the hope they'll accept them this time?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.