Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any questions about applying, personal statements or interviews? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm bored and i fancy helping some potential applicants if i can

So, fire away....ask whatever you want and i'll try to answer it as best i can. It can be about life at dental school...hell it can even be questions about the science of dentistry or ethics or the GDC or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (sounds awkward but....) hey I wanna apply to med school, I went to a not great secondary school and therefore my gcse's weren't that great either (got 1A, 6 B's, 1/2 C) Ideally.. do I stand a chance? :/ Really hope to do well in A-levels, smash the UKCAT, get a good amount of work exp and hopefully a killer personal statement. So stuck and sucks when you missed out on a grammar school education twice over

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kartace)

So, fire away....ask whatever you want and i'll try to answer it as best i can. It can be about life at dental school...hell it can even be questions about the science of dentistry or ethics or the GDC or whatever.
    Are all dental schools equally difficult in terms of the course and are the degrees seen as exactly the same or do some hold more value?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KeilahDeere)
    (sounds awkward but....) hey I wanna apply to med school, I went to a not great secondary school and therefore my gcse's weren't that great either (got 1A, 6 B's, 1/2 C) Ideally.. do I stand a chance? :/ Really hope to do well in A-levels, smash the UKCAT, get a good amount of work exp and hopefully a killer personal statement. So stuck and sucks when you missed out on a grammar school education twice over
    Depends where you apply. Bear in mind though, medicine/dentistry are two of the only courses that really care about your GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ando181)
    Depends where you apply. Bear in mind though, medicine/dentistry are two of the only courses that really care about your GCSEs.
    Of course I totally understand that the competitiveness of the courses require looking at everything and different unis bear particular weights of that part of the application, but not sure if I'm not a realistic applicant

ReputationRep:
    Of course I totally understand that the competitiveness of the courses require looking at everything and different unis bear particular weights of that part of the application, but not sure if I'm not a realistic applicant
    The people I know doing medicine/dentistry got >5A*s.
    It might be possible, but im not sure. You'd have to ask the unis.

ReputationRep:
    Lets hear your GCSEs and then we can tell you it is quite likely that they are good enough, most people think that they must be better than they have to be. As long as you meet the minimum requirements then you can make up for it in other aspects, such as your killer personal statement! xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kartace)

Tell me everything that I need to know about the GDC for an interview!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slg60)
    Lets hear your GCSEs and then we can tell you it is quite likely that they are good enough, most people think that they must be better than they have to be. As long as you meet the minimum requirements then you can make up for it in other aspects, such as your killer personal statement! xD
    it's in my first post fella! I do the minimum but mostly, the ABSOLUTE minimum with my 1 A helping me but wasn't a real gcse really. I would like to retake some subjects like maths and statistics for example. I will have to write a super ps and do really good the ukcat if possible

ReputationRep:
    it's in my first post fella! I do the minimum but mostly, the ABSOLUTE minimum with my 1 A helping me but wasn't a real gcse really. I would like to retake some subjects like maths and statistics for example. I will have to write a super ps and do really good the ukcat if possible
    You can defo get into medicine with those GCSEs as in it is possible if you do very well in AS UKCAT ECs WE. You meet the entry requirements of most of the courses so it is doable! Resitting is during A2 or AS is also a option but you will have to look at each unis prospectus because some will not allow any GCSE resits.
    If you do go to a bad school it might be worth looking into what theat could mean for your application, lots of unis consider it if your referee includes it in your reference.

If you really want to nail the UKCAT I have heard Kaplan is quite good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slg60)
    You can defo get into medicine with those GCSEs as in it is possible if you do very well in AS UKCAT ECs WE. You meet the entry requirements of most of the courses so it is doable! Resitting is during A2 or AS is also a option but you will have to look at each unis prospectus because some will not allow any GCSE resits.
    If you do go to a bad school it might be worth looking into what theat could mean for your application, lots of unis consider it if your referee includes it in your reference.

If you really want to nail the UKCAT I have heard Kaplan is quite good!
    yay for just about meeting minimum requirements. and I will do, mainly have my eye on UEA and nottingham as they do 6-year courses. and I'll make sure my referees pop that in. I've had mixed views on it, i've heard that it's real good for a selection of resources but so pricey for £300!

ReputationRep:
    yay for just about meeting minimum requirements. and I will do, mainly have my eye on UEA and nottingham as they do 6-year courses. and I'll make sure my referees pop that in. I've had mixed views on it, i've heard that it's real good for a selection of resources but so pricey for £300!
    Yes it its very expensive and there are other ways to get the info such as:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/into-Medical...keywords=ukcat

I would avoid UEA they may have lower entry requirements but it does cost 30k a year or something ridiculous!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...your_Strengths

This is very useful to work out where the best place to apply to is!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slg60)
    Yes it its very expensive and there are other ways to get the info such as:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/into-Medical...keywords=ukcat

I would avoid UEA they may have lower entry requirements but it does cost 30k a year or something ridiculous!
    ah that link is already in my favourites! friend of mine got two offers this year and only used that book for his ukcat, he came out for be the top 10% in the country!

oooh 30k for what?

ReputationRep:
    ah that link is already in my favourites! friend of mine got two offers this year and only used that book for his ukcat, he came out for be the top 10% in the country!

oooh 30k for what?
    wait let me take that back thats UCLan

ReputationRep:

oooh 30k for what?
    Good for him, what was his score and where did he get offers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slg60)
    Good for him, what was his score and where did he get offers?
    defo got 760+, had 4/4 med interviews, as far as I know he had offers from south hampton and Brighton&sussex

ReputationRep:
    defo got 760+, had 4/4 med interviews, as far as I know he had offers from south hampton and Brighton&sussex
    Very well done to him! Hope you do equally as well!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but i'm a dentist and this is in a dental forum. I can't help you with medical school admissions. But if you meet the entry requirements then theoretically you should have a chance. Just try and boost your application in other ways. I don't think resitting would help you as they would notice that the dates are more recent and they don't allow your to resit AS or A2 years...so i doubt they would for GCSE either.

Can you move any further discussions to a medical forum or PM please? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slg60)
    Tell me everything that I need to know about the GDC for an interview!
    So the GDC is the general dental council and they are basically there to regulate dentists and protect patients. You can view their website here:
    http://www.gdc-uk.org/Aboutus/Pages/default.aspx

As a dental professional you have to be registered each year with the GDC in order to legally practice within the UK. The registrant members of the GDC are:
    • dentists
    • clinical dental technicians,
    • dental hygienists,
    • dental nurses,
    • dental technicians,
    • dental therapists, and orthodontic therapists.

The GDC also (very importantly) Sets the standards for dental education and caries out audits, visits and inspections of dental schools.

They also set the standards for good dental care, there are 9 main ones that we are supposed to abide by as professional dentists:
    1. Put patients’ interests first
    2. Communicate effectively with patients
    3. Obtain valid consent
    4. Maintain and protect patients’ information
    5. Have a clear and effective complaints procedure
    6. Work with colleagues in a way that is in patients’ best interests
    7. Maintain, develop and work within your professional knowledge and skills
    8. Raise concerns if patients are at risk
    9. Make sure your personal behavior maintains patients’ confidence in you and the dental profession

They also deal with, arbitrate, mediate and preside upon fitness to practice and negligence claims. This is really important as it means that we as dentists need to take meticulous, clear and comprehensive notes. This is because, in the event of a dentist being sued, the notes are considered a medicolegal document and if they're incomplete or inadequate then you're looking down the barrel of a big fine and possible suspension or removal from the register!

An interesting side note...there has been a recent stir of activity surrounding the GDC as they published an advert in the telegraph asking any patient who wasn't "completely happy" with their care to come forward and make a complaint. This is of course massive overkill and has wound a lot of dentists up and has even lead to a petition to abolish/boycott the GDC, lead even more interestingly by the BDA (british dental association)

Name:  telegraph.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  59.3 KB

This advert is especially poignant in the wake of recent 60% rises in registration fees too. The GDC isn't popular among dental professionals at the moment. Most of us feel that it would be much much more professional for the GDC to advise patients to attempt to sort things out with their dentist in-practice first, before taking the high-handed route and going straight to the GDC...the only way a dentist hears about ia complaint through this method is when they're just about to be sued...most dentists would prefer the chance to sort things out with the patient one on one.

Anyway, whatever you make of this situation, whether you agree or disagree woith the GDC is up to you...it's something to talk about in relation to dentistry in the news and it shows that you have an awareness of how important this is and how important the GDC and the standards of care are to dental professionals.

You can read more about this story here:
    http://www.smile-onnews.com/news/vie...legraph-advert

http://www.privatedentistry.co.uk/ge...dvert-outrage/

http://www.dentistry.co.uk/news/bda-...l-raise-arf-64

Hope that's helped a bit!

Ryan.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.