Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Becoming a solicitor in the UK when you're not from the UK Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm about to begin my penultimate year in university in Prague. I don't want to stay in the Czech Republic after I receive my BA in Humanities. I would much prefer to do a conversion course in the UK and become a solicitor.

I am not currently studying a law course. I'm doing a humanities course which will result in a BA. I'm hoping to graduate with either a magna *** laude or a summa *** laude. If things go as well as they are going now, it will be a summa *** laude. I believe this translates to a UK 'first'.

Anyway, I'd love to do an MA or GDL in Law. I was wondering, what other steps must one take in order to become a solicitor? Is the LPC mandatory? Is there anything else which is mandatory after that in terms of schooling?

As for the traineeships, what do they look for in applicants? Can anyone apply or does it have to be a UK applicant? Does having law related internships benefit the applicant or is experience not as important?

Another thought that's been worrying is the question of me being foreign. I know it's difficult to become a solicitor as it is, but would you say it's hopeless for a foreigner to establish themselves as a solicitor in the UK? Or is it doable? I know that the open door policy for jobs in the UK has caused a controversy when it comes to the flooding of immigrants from Eastern European countries, so I'd like to know whether this would be an issue when looking for legal jobs.

I'm looking for realistic answers, so feel free to switch off your political correctness when answering.

I just really don't want to stay in the Czech Republic and I haven't really lived there much throughout my life. My other alternative is to try and get some sort of funding and do Law school in the US, but I would much prefer to stay in Europe.

What are your thoughts?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.