Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

do you pause on all your barbell pressing movements? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering how many people pause at the bottom of pressing exercises, the press, bench, close grip bench, etc... Started doing this a couple of months ago, and it definitely helps with regards to gaining strength.
    Imo, if you miss out the bottom of your bench or your press by not touching it to your chest, or doing touch and go on these movements, you're not training the weakest part of the lift, ie. when the weight is closest to the floor, and of course, you're only as strong as your weakest link.
    Just thought I'd post this. If you're stalling on any pressing lifts, try the pause.

ReputationRep:
    Pause if deffo a must for strength training! I don't usually bother when training for mass going for 8-12 reps as I just do slow movements to increase the time under tension. The training technique is Static over Dynamic training which is where you lift a weight from a completely static position. Great way to gain strength and just to measure strength in general. I know plenty of people who can bang around 100kg on bench and act all hard but the second you tell them to hold it and kill the momentum that weight is NOT coming back up haha!

If you are aiming to increase your bench OP I'd also throw in a Rack press or Floor bench press from time to time. Great stuff.

Man I miss strongman training.

ReputationRep:
    I don't bench anymore, but when I did I just did touch and go. If I was to start again I'd include paused reps as well, but I think both paused and bounced/touch and go have their uses.

Overhead press I always bounce though, I don't progress at all doing them strict.

ReputationRep:
    I do touch and go as my main benching though I've recently started doing some paused for the sake of practising the technique. It will help with strength if you are weak at the bottom but I never fail within the first few inches so it's of no particular use to me.

I've always paused competition style on bench press.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.