The Student Room Group

Terrified of driving lessons

So i'm sending off for my licence and am going to arrange for driving lessons for next year, but I'm terrified and whenever I think or talk about it my stomach tightens. Any advice for getting rid of this? Or is it just something that will go when I've had a few driving lessons

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,
Great that you're thinking of starting to drive. Errm, it's hard to say as everyone is different I think once you're in the car you have no choice but to just get on with it. Perhaps you should just put it to the back of your mind (easier said than done I know) until you come to it? To be honest the only part of my driving lessons which made me nervous were the other VERY impatient drivers on the road. But you get them even when you are fully fledged, only difference is you can give them the finger ha ha.
Original post by DeterminedDreamer
So i'm sending off for my licence and am going to arrange for driving lessons for next year, but I'm terrified and whenever I think or talk about it my stomach tightens. Any advice for getting rid of this? Or is it just something that will go when I've had a few driving lessons

Don't worry, so many people feel like this. I was so nervous to learn to drive and put it off for so long. I got nervous butterflies before every driving lesson, until I was about 10 hours into learning and I realised 'Yeah, it seems scary, but I'm in control, it will be fine.' I think finding an instructor you get along with (and hopefully a car you get along with!), trying to enjoy the learning process, and thinking about the end result (imagine yourself happy and relaxed, driving through the countryside on a sunny day *cheesy* :tongue:) all helps.

I hope it all goes well :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was nervous and excited before my first lesson and yes don't worry the feeling goes after a few lessons.

The first lesson mainly involves a lot of talking between you and the instructor, teaching you the very basics and then having a feel of the pedals, starting the car and having a little drive.

Once your get to know your instructor and know the car the butterflies goes.....

Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 4

What is it that is making you nervous?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 2710
What is it that is making you nervous?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just the fact it's a big next step in my life and I'm scared of crashing or giving the instructor a nervous breakdown :s-smilie:
Reply 6
Just the fact it's a big next step in my life and I'm scared of crashing or giving the instructor a nervous breakdown :s-smilie:

Im not sure if you know this but your instructor has pedals on his side too. He has brakes and clutch. So you will not crash. Think of it as an activity. I was very excited for my driving. You probably won't drive for a while after your driving test, so enjoy all the driving whilst you can!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 2710
Im not sure if you know this but your instructor has pedals on his side too. He has brakes and clutch. So you will not crash. Think of it as an activity. I was very excited for my driving. You probably won't drive for a while after your driving test, so enjoy all the driving whilst you can!

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah I know that. It's just my paranoia and nerves. No I won't as I won't be able to afford a car let alone the insurance for it (unless my mum's policy will let her add me as a second driver).

Maybe you're not ready for them. When I started I definitely knew it was something I wanted to do. I felt a little nervous at the start, but I didn't feel terrified.

It would be weirder if you DIDN'T feel that way. Driving is huge - one of the biggest things you will ever do in your life - so it's completely natural to feel nervous.

After a few lessons, once you have the basics nailed, the nerves completely go away. What you have to remember is that you will be in a car with dual controls with a qualified, experienced instructor - nothing will be able to go wrong!

Once you've passed, thats it - you've got the license for life provided you don't do anything which gets you penalty points - might as well get it out of the way sooner rather than later, you need to drive in this day and age!

Everyone is nervous to begin with. It's normal.

Once you get into the car and start slowly waddling around a few backstreets your confidence will grow and grow. :yep:
Reply 11
It's really not a big deal tbh, set your lessons for a sensible time like during the day so the roads will be quiet. Go down some back streets and practice the basics.. you'll be able to do it competently after a few weeks and you should enjoy it.
Reply 12
Once you get the clutch problems out of the way you should drive with ease
I was super nervous the first time I had driving lessons. The only thing I can tell you is don't freak out, breath and be relaxed it will be easier to learn that way. :biggrin:
Reply 14
I was scared to death. High anxiety over driving. I would say it took me awhile, but I did, eventually, get over it. I agree having a good instructor you work well with helps. I didn't work as well with my first instructor as I did with my second. Being able to practice between lessons with someone calm and a good teacher also helps. The more you drive, the more this feeling goes away. Or at least it did for me. Don't be afraid to take extra lessons beyond the 'usual' supplied with the course, if need be.
Original post by Tilly-Elizabeth
Maybe you're not ready for them. When I started I definitely knew it was something I wanted to do. I felt a little nervous at the start, but I didn't feel terrified.

Not right at the moment because I have my degree to get first. Waiting to finish my degree before I start my lessons. No harm in preparing in the meantime. My provisional licence has been ordered and I bought the theory stuff today.
Not right at the moment because I have my degree to get first. Waiting to finish my degree before I start my lessons. No harm in preparing in the meantime. My provisional licence has been ordered and I bought the theory stuff today.

I got my provisional about 8 months before I started lessons. So always good to be prepared, then just start when you feel ready to. Good luck! :h:
Original post by Tom78
It's really not a big deal tbh, set your lessons for a sensible time like during the day so the roads will be quiet. Go down some back streets and practice the basics.. you'll be able to do it competently after a few weeks and you should enjoy it.

Well the instructor I'm getting also teaches my friend and she highly recommends him because he is calming and explains stuff well so that will help and I'm starting summer 2015 when the day light hours are longer.
Original post by Tilly-Elizabeth
I got my provisional about 8 months before I started lessons. So always good to be prepared, then just start when you feel ready to. Good luck! :h:

yeah and when it comes to applying for jobs next year I can tell prospective employers I have a provisional licence and intend on learning to drive as some job descriptions mention the need for your own transport and full driving licence.
i have started lessons and im on my 5th now, i wouldnt say i was a begginner at the start, i knew the functions of the car well but just had not alot of driving experience in terms of the being in traffic, rounabouts,etc. what would you lot estimate for the amount of lessons i would need

Quick Reply

Latest