Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I'm in full go of my A2 English coursework (EDIT: AQA), in my coursework I'm studying a Gothic novel and commenting on it's merit.

For this I have prepared my own notes, such as conventions etc - well this is where my issue arises, I have what I believe to be a decent source (I made it). However I'm unable to use it (says my teacher) due to the need of having sources as I have a lack of prestige.

What can I do, any suggestions will be grateful

Thank you!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    By sources, your teacher means literary criticism? What texts are you doing?

You can easily incorporate these sources into your points that each of your paragraphs should be about. So for example, if one of your paragraphs is about the traditional Byronic Hero in Gothic Literature, you can get a literary criticism from a famous author or writer about what they have to say about the Byronic Hero and then just incorporate that into your point.

For instance if your main point in the paragraph were "all Byronic Heroes in Gothic literature have a tradition of ultimate downfall" then perhaps you can type into Google "Byronic hero literacy criticism" and see what comes up. Then, get a quote from a famous person and link it in with your point, whilst also agreeing/evaluating the critic's point, whilst linking it back to yours. It sounds easy, but the amount of pointless stuff and criticism I had to find for my coursework which was based on morality, was horrible! So be quite picky with your wording as anything can pop up.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask me any questions on Gothic Literature and I love it and also when I went to an English uni Applicant Day, we did a whole hour of a taster session on Gothic Literature, so I might be some help to you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.