Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey all

So I'm thinking of buying a fancy camera with some of my summer job money. I was thinking an entry-level DSLR like the Canon 1200D or the Nikon D3200 (anybody have these and recommend them?), so I've been looking at them on the John Lewis website.

On the JL website it has a section on 'bridge' cameras - ones that are a halfway-point between compacts and DSLRs and I'm wondering if one of these might be better for me... I don't know much about the technical side of photography so maybe a DSLR isn't the best choice first off (although I am planning on joining my uni's photography society to learn a little more!)
    Here's the page on 'bridge' cameras: http://www.johnlewis.com/electricals...293/c800004002

What do you guys think of 'bridge' cameras? Are they worth buying or should I just go for a good DSLR that will hopefully last me a long time?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I'm wanting a good all-rounder basically, for holiday photos of landscapes and wildlife as well as shots of food for my baking blog, and people at parties etc. I don't really want to spend more than £400
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I remember seeing my flatmate's DSLR for the first time and thinking I'd never be able to decipher all of the different numbers and symbols it had on the screen! However once I took the plunge and bought my own in March and started learning about photography the technical side was pretty easy, once you've got to grips with the basics of exposure and the controls of your camera you're most of the way there Plus virtually all modern DSLRs will come with a range of automatic modes, ranging from fully auto and priority modes for different elements of exposure like aperture, that you can use as you get to grips with different principles.

I would personally say go DSLR over bridge if you want to get into photography long term as it gives you more room to grow into it- they tend to have larger sensors and better image quality (although more expensive bridges will use larger, better sensors), you'll have a larger range of manual controls at your disposal as you become more confident (again, more expensive bridges will have increasing amounts of manual control), and will be able to buy new lenses when you find yourself wanting to take different kinds of shots that your current gear limits you from getting the results you want. Plus optical viewfinders are awesome. Bridges will win if you just want a more compact system with a single versatile lens.

(Original post by lilmisssunshine13)
    I'm wanting a good all-rounder basically, for holiday photos of landscapes and wildlife as well as shots of food for my baking blog, and people at parties etc. I don't really want to spend more than £400

A £400 budget is easily enough for an entry level DSLR kit, or a higher end body/kit bought used, and potentially another lens of some description like a fast prime for low light/shallow depth of field shots or a telephoto lens for long distance or "macro" shots. See if there are any camera stores local to you and play around with different models in your price range and see which brand you like the feel of best, as ergonomics and control layout can be a major deciding factor when it comes to buying a camera :yep:

ReputationRep:
    you're wasting money on a bridge. buy a cheap dslr, learn how to use it so you don't outgrow it literally the moment you try take a photo indoors.

also consider hitting up digitalrev and getting a 600D or something higher - the 1200D is a horrid little camera made of cheap plastic.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.