Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello people,
    I am doing a project on body image and how dieting can have adverse effects on the body but struggling to find information, as to why different diets in the long term are bad...if anybody could point me in the right direction for research, or knows of any famous diets that I could use as an example that would be great!

Thanks guys,
    Bananaterracottapie

ReputationRep:
    Is this for school, college or uni?

ReputationRep:
    This could be a starting point for low carb diets
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical...ohydrate_diets
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananaterracottapie)
    Hello people,
    I am doing a project on body image and how dieting can have adverse effects on the body but struggling to find information, as to why different diets in the long term are bad...if anybody could point me in the right direction for research, or knows of any famous diets that I could use as an example that would be great!

Thanks guys,
    Bananaterracottapie
    Here are a few articles you can see on the subject:
    http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/442892_4

http://psycnet.apa.org/journals/amp/49/9/781/

ReputationRep:
    Diets are focused on weight and weight loss, so you don't know if that individual is losing muscle by not eating properly. The common knowledge is that if you eat more fruit and veg and exercises little more you will lose weight, yes you will, but you may also be losing muscle. Muscle is built through protein, and other nutrients, when the muscles are used for exercise, the muscles are broken down so they can repair he selves - in order to do this they need protein. Many people don't have protein shakes or any protein for up to 1 hour after exercising (20-30 mins is he critical time for getting protein to help rebuild these muscles). Due to this, the muscle eats itself.

Muscle build is needed if you wish to tone up and burn fat, as it burns calories, whereas fat stores calories. If you have minimal muscle but lots of fat you will look very different to someone who has lots of muscle but little fat - and you may weigh similar. Muscle is heavier than fat so this is why I personally think a perception of 'weight loss' is a load of *******s.

Same argument that BMI is rubbish because Rugby players, body builders - people with a lot of muscle would be told they are overweight and 'obese' when they are not.

Sorry if my rambling makes no sense but I hope it helped somewhat!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.