Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Turkey (Istanbul) - Bulgaria - Romania - Hungary - Bratislava (Slovakia) Watch

ReputationRep:
    On the 31st of July, a friend and I plan on doing this trip over (nearly) 5 weeks. I've done a fair bit of research, but I'd love to hear some suggestions on where to visit. Particular places I'm unsure of are Istanbul (huge city! What to visit in 5 days?), Bucharest (heard it was interesting, but ugly!) and Hungary (thinking Eger and Budapest).

ReputationRep:
    hey there - sounds like a fun trip!
    I'm from slovakia and regularly fly to Bratislava, so I know a fair bit about that part of your tour.
    Personally, I think Bratislava is actually quite ugly (apart from Bratislava castle). There's a lot of poverty evident even as you leave the airport and this doesn't really improve much as you travel through Bratislava itself - so if you have more than one day to spend there, go and visit the Tatra mountains, or a much nicer place that is near Bratislava!

ReputationRep:
    Only have info from Hungary (I live here) and Slovakia (used to ski there a lot), but if you are already here, why don't you visit Prague or Vienna too?

My personal opinion is that Bratislava, Budapest and Burcharest may be more popular targets but Eger, the Tatra or Transylvania are more unique. But it all depends on what you want to see: big cities or nature and interesting places.

If you have 5 weeks, all of the above can be visited.

ReputationRep:
    I live in Transylvania, and yes, I've never been to Bucharest, and yes, it's ugly and miserable if you're not in the center. I'd suggest you to visit Cluj-Napoca. It's a city full of young friendly people(it will be the European capital of youth next year btw). And it's summer, so there are a lot of big music and film festivals and partys aroud here. Also, try Sibiu, Sighisoara or Brasov, these are the most beautiful in Romania. Smaller, but more historical if that appeals to you. The mountains are also breathtaking. I don't recommend you to go all the way to Bucharest, the drivers are horrible in that area and the traffic will kill you.

ReputationRep:
    Would we be better staying a few nights in each palce (Cluj / Sibiu / Brasov etc) or making one place our base, and taking day trips to each of these? Keep in mind we're heading to Hungary afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tobinobin)
    Would we be better staying a few nights in each palce (Cluj / Sibiu / Brasov etc) or making one place our base, and taking day trips to each of these? Keep in mind we're heading to Hungary afterwards.
    I'd be better to stay in each because the distances between them are quite big and there are no highways so you'd spend most of the time going back and forth if you set camp in one of them. And driving is quite stressful since there are a lot of tourists in the summer and the traffic in our country is usually a nightmare... Cluj should be the last, as it's the closest to Hungary.

ReputationRep:
    Also, try Alba-Iulia if you can. It's a very important place when it comes to our history, the country was officially united there It's close to Cluj, so if you stay there you can make a day trip to Alba-Iulia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lenolay)
    Only have info from Hungary (I live here) and Slovakia (used to ski there a lot), but if you are already here, why don't you visit Prague or Vienna too?

My personal opinion is that Bratislava, Budapest and Burcharest may be more popular targets but Eger, the Tatra or Transylvania are more unique. But it all depends on what you want to see: big cities or nature and interesting places.

If you have 5 weeks, all of the above can be visited.

(Original post by SiminaM)
    I live in Transylvania, and yes, I've never been to Bucharest, and yes, it's ugly and miserable if you're not in the center. I'd suggest you to visit Cluj-Napoca. It's a city full of young friendly people(it will be the European capital of youth next year btw). And it's summer, so there are a lot of big music and film festivals and partys aroud here. Also, try Sibiu, Sighisoara or Brasov, these are the most beautiful in Romania. Smaller, but more historical if that appeals to you. The mountains are also breathtaking. I don't recommend you to go all the way to Bucharest, the drivers are horrible in that area and the traffic will kill you.
    I'd agree with these points, I sort of did a mini rail trip between Budapest and Cluj and back a couple years ago. Took a train from Budapest to Puspoklady or whatever it's called then a bus over the border to Oradea, and another train from there to Cluj. I think there was work going on on the rail lines so that's the replacement bus came in. Absolutely fascinating being out in the middle of nowhere and seeing all the scenery along the way!!

Wish I could do it again some day. Only went to see a football match!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 22, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.