Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted advice from people how to behave and what not to do etc
    Obviously you dont do anything stupid like turning up late or being racist but more subtle things

When I had my interview they mentioned I would be doing mundane tasks intially which Im more than happy with as I dont know anything at the moment. But should I just do the work casually or aim to impress them and go for 5th gear on day one and complete all my tasks quickly and ask for more 'complicated' work with out seeming ungrateful.

I will have a line manager who I am suppose to to report to so will try my best to stay in his good books

Any more tips on how to behave ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James222)
    Obviously you dont do anything stupid like turning up late or being racist but more subtle things

When I had my interview they mentioned I would be doing mundane tasks intially which Im more than happy with as I dont know anything at the moment. But should I just do the work casually or aim to impress them and go for 5th gear on day one and complete all my tasks quickly and ask for more 'complicated' work with out seeming ungrateful.

I will have a line manager who I am suppose to to report to so will try my best to stay in his good books

underpromise and overdeliver. Whatever you do, your true self will come out eventually, so no point faking it for the first few months/years

ReputationRep:

If you do your mundane tasks quickly and accurately you will soon be given better work. You have to get your manager(s) to trust you before they'll give you the good stuff.

In terms of behaviour you have to read the situation, different companies, offices and teams will have different vibes. The first office I was in was 9-5 bants but my new team is older and pretty much a banter vacuum, it would not go down well there. But that stuff is secondary to actually doing your work well.

ReputationRep:
    Work hard then get very drunk it seems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedgeman49)
    If you do your mundane tasks quickly and accurately you will soon be given better work. You have to get your manager(s) to trust you before they'll give you the good stuff.

In terms of behaviour you have to read the situation, different companies, offices and teams will have different vibes. The first office I was in was 9-5 bants but my new team is older and pretty much a banter vacuum, it would not go down well there. But that stuff is secondary to actually doing your work well.
    Sounds like a good overall strategy

I had a friend who actually got fired in his second week because he sent a funny meme to everyone at work even though the more senior people did it all the time depends on culture i guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincePauper)
    underpromise and overdeliver. Whatever you do, your true self will come out eventually, so no point faking it for the first few months/years
    But I can realistically remain in 5th gear indefinitely but only if i means I will get more reward than staying in 3rd

ReputationRep:
    But I can realistically remain in 5th gear indefinitely but only if i means I will get more reward than staying in 3rd
    Im guessing you havent done more than summer internships right? Trust me, its easier said than done

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.