Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Will this be enough to travel western europe for a month? I know it's the most expensive part of europe... any travel tips (i.e cheapest places for food) to help stretch it over the entire period?

ReputationRep:
    Including flights? If so, call it 40 euros a day for food/transport/sights. That's going to be rather difficult, hostels are typically 20-25 euros / night, you'll be eating very cheaply (bread/cold meats from supermarket) and missing out on some cool attractions due to the entry fee.

ReputationRep:
    Not really, would be fine in the east or maybe a bit of both.

ReputationRep:
    You could try couchsurfing to save money that would be spent on hotel rooms. When it comes to travel costs - hitchhiking or carpooling (carpooling.com, blablacar.com). These are quite adventurous ways but at the same time they let you meet local people and have unforgettable experiences but I believe it's best to try them if you do not travel alone.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it'll be more than enough as long as you're staying in dorms in hostels, cooking for yourselves sometimes and either not going out every night or not paying for attractions every day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Dream)
    Yeah it'll be more than enough as long as you're staying in dorms in hostels, cooking for yourselves sometimes and either not going out every night or not paying for attractions every day.
    Sometimes, even dorms can cost upwards of £30 in cities like Amsterdam and Barcelona

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by castlemadeofsand)
    Sometimes, even dorms can cost upwards of £30 in cities like Amsterdam and Barcelona
    Yeah limit your time in those cities. When I went interrailing, Amsterdam was my most expensive hostel (£33/night-ish) and probably the worst that I stayed in.. had £8/night one in Krakow which was probably the best and a £7/night one in Prague which was better than Amsterdam. Barcelona can be got pretty cheaply if you book in advance though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Dream)
    Yeah limit your time in those cities. When I went interrailing, Amsterdam was my most expensive hostel (£33/night-ish) and probably the worst that I stayed in.. had £8/night one in Krakow which was probably the best and a £7/night one in Prague which was better than Amsterdam. Barcelona can be got pretty cheaply if you book in advance though.

Will keep that in mind. Is Italy bad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicso)
    Will keep that in mind. Is Italy bad?
    Only been with my family so can't comment. Have a look on hostelbookers.com.

Amsterdam is definitely worth visiting for a night or two but it'll drain your wallet very quickly if you stay for any longer and there's not that much more to it than weed and prostitutes. My first and last night of my holiday were there which was pretty much perfect.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.