Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Edit

ReputationRep:
    I think the general maths, english and science are most respected for anyone as they are required in all career paths. But if you want to go into sociology or psychology, then those grades are excellent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KettleMan)
    All my friends keep saying to me "your strongest GCSE grades were in mickey mouse subjects". Is this true?

What would you consider is my strongest GCSE grade out of the "more difficult/respected" subjects?

My GCSE grades are:
    A* - Sociology
    A - Psychology
    B - Drama And Theatre Arts
    B - Law
    B - History (IGCSE)
    B - Science (Single Award)
    B - Citizenship Studies (Short Course)
    C - English
    C - English Literature
    C - Geography (IGCSE)
    C - Mathematics
    C - Food Technology
    E - German
    Its not that there mickey mouse subjects i.e easy, there just less respected/traditional in that respect. I would say the strongest GCSE grade would be the B grades in history and science (single award).

ReputationRep:
    Sociology is far from a 'Mickey Mouse' subject.
    Subjects called '.... Studies' are considered Mickey Mouse subjects and aren't respected.
    Law is respected.
    History is respected.
    Science is certainly respected.
    Mathematics is respected.
    I think that your strongest GCSE is probably Psychology and/or science because they're high grades are are respected. Science + Psychology = perfect recipe for a success cake.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies.

HappyHylian nice username and avatar - I'm a huge zelda fan

ReputationRep:
    All my friends keep saying to me "your strongest GCSE grades were in mickey mouse subjects". Is this true?

What would you consider is my strongest GCSE grade out of the "more difficult/respected" subjects?

My GCSE grades are:
    A* - Sociology
    A - Psychology
    B - Law
    B - History (IGCSE)
    C - English
    C - English Literature
    C - Geography (IGCSE)
    C - Mathematics
    C - Food Technology
    E - German
    I think you did very well indeed! Sometimes I just want to punch out the teeth of people who dismiss certain subjects as 'mickey mouse', especially ones like Psychology or Sociology. It's all relative - different people excel in different areas, and none of these areas are intrinsically 'better' than the others.

ReputationRep:
    Speaking as a professional Sociologist, it is incredibly difficult to excel in it, so very well done and I hope that you will carry on with it!!

ReputationRep:

My GCSE grades are:
    A* - Sociology
    A - Psychology
    B - Law
    B - History (IGCSE)
    C - English
    C - English Literature
    C - Geography (IGCSE)
    C - Mathematics
    C - Food Technology
    E - German
    Sociology and Psychology aren't exactly 'mickey mouse' subjects but they're not exactly the most difficult subjects either.

I think your downfall is that you only got a C in English and Maths and although you got a B in Science you didn't do Double Science which is usually the minimum, if not Triple. Plus most of your GCSE grades are either B or C.

ReputationRep:
    Sociology is incredibly difficult - there are no correct answers. Imagine that! Contrast that with maths and the sciences! This perception of the subject as easier that others is absolutely wrong and is all to do with how it is taught.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowcopter)
    Sociology and Psychology aren't exactly 'mickey mouse' subjects but they're not exactly the most difficult subjects either.

I think your downfall is that you only got a C in English and Maths and although you got a B in Science you didn't do Double Science which is usually the minimum, if not Triple. Plus most of your GCSE grades are either B or C.
    Your probably right. I so wish I chose additional science. As for English, I was actually relieved it was a C seeing as my teacher predicted me an E. Showed her! lol

ReputationRep:

My GCSE grades are:
    A* - Sociology
    A - Psychology
    B - Law
    B - History (IGCSE)
    C - English
    C - English Literature
    C - Geography (IGCSE)
    C - Mathematics
    C - Food Technology
    E - German
    I really, really, really hate it when people say that.

When I took my GCSEs I was under the same impression. I thought "oohh if I take history and geography I'll look really good and my CV will be amazing!" in reality, no one cares. Your grades are of slight importance, that's to get into A-Levels and perhaps are glanced at by Uni's but not so much, subjects no one really cares about. The only worry would be you restrict yourself from taking the better A-Level subjects however most are still open to you.

Ignore your friends, probably jealous of your grades

ReputationRep:

My GCSE grades are:
    A* - Sociology
    A - Psychology
    B - Law
    B - History (IGCSE)
    C - English
    C - English Literature
    C - Geography (IGCSE)
    C - Mathematics
    C - Food Technology
    E - German
    I'd say your history and science grades.

ReputationRep:
    Your probably right. I so wish I chose additional science. As for English, I was actually relieved it was a C seeing as my teacher predicted me an E. Showed her! lol
    GCSEs are not the end of the world though, and at the end of the day your results aren't exactly terrible either. You still did great and have 5 A*-C grades which a lot of people don't have. So long as you're doing well at your sixth form/college course(s) then you'll be fine. Congrats on getting your C grade by the way in English.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.