Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    will having extra-curricular activities and community service make your application stand out from others and give a better chance of getting accepted??

ReputationRep:
    Yep. Try to include any relevant work experience as well as wider reading you have done into your course

ReputationRep:
    Write it in bold capitals.

ReputationRep:
    I've both visited St Andrews and been visited by St Andrews and was told both times that they're not bothered about extra-curricular. Focus on super-curricular, additional reading, work experience etc. At St Andrews, your application is reviewed by an academic at the school you're applying to so they're not really assed about whether or not you were a prefect or what sports you play...they want to see someone who's passionate and someone they'd like to teach.

ReputationRep:
    Lots of places seem to like if you talk about what extra books you have read around the subject and a specific chapter/quote. It seems to make them think that you are serious about the subject and shows you are an independent learner etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karmin_1975)
    will having extra-curricular activities and community service make your application stand out from others and give a better chance of getting accepted??
    Unless they're directly related to the course you're applying for, don't waste the space. You're better off talking about things you do that are related to the course, i.e. any extra readings you've done (favourite authors/topics), any relevant work experience/volunteering (so say you're applying for history, they don't really care if you played lacrosse for 10 years, but they would be interested to know that you volunteered at a history-focused museum).

Just think about what makes you and your love for your chosen subject unique

ReputationRep:
    Yes to what most people have said about focusing on your subject. I think that it's best to not just go on and on about how wonderful blahblah subject is, or to use blanket, unoriginal statements like "I have always loved", or "I'm passionate about". SHOW, don't just tell, but try to do so in a way that the reader would see it and think- now that's something none of the last few applicants had! If you can also DEMONSTRATE your ability to think at a higher level, that's really good, too. There are loads of good articles on this out there, I highly recommend reading at least a few. It helped me a LOT with my statement.

ReputationRep:
    If you are thinking of applying for Computer Science, then you can find our advice on personal statements here, and some answers to other frequently asked questions here.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.