Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying A2 physics, I was just wondering what the previous year thought was the hardest section in phys4 and phys5. So far we haven't covered enough of Phys4 to make a judgement of the relative difficulty of each section.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protoxylic)
    I'm currently studying A2 physics, I was just wondering what the previous year thought was the hardest section in phys4 and phys5. So far we haven't covered enough of Phys4 to make a judgement of the relative difficulty of each section.
    Look back through the study help questions on TSR and a few topics come up time and again where people consistently struggle:

Fields
    Electric Potential
    Electromagnetism, Flux and Flux Linkage, Faradays and Lenz's laws
    Capacitors and time constants
    Harmonic oscillations, Forced vibrations
    Oscilloscopes
    Mass/Energy equivalence conversions
    Hertsprung-Russell diagrams
    Absolute and Apparent magnitudes

Out of these, it appears Electricity and Magnetism cause the greatest stress among students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    Look back through the study help questions on TSR and a few topics come up time and again where people consistently struggle:

Fields
    Electric Potential
    Electromagnetism, Flux and Flux Linkage, Faradays and Lenz's laws
    Capacitors and time constants
    Harmonic oscillations, Forced vibrations
    Oscilloscopes
    Mass/Energy equivalence conversions
    Hertsprung-Russell diagrams
    Absolute and Apparent magnitudes

Out of these, it appears Electricity and Magnetism cause the greatest stress among students.
    We've covered Electric Fields, Capacitance, Conservation of momentum and circular motion thus far. To me the hardest of those is Electric fields, but its doable, not too hard.

ReputationRep:
    Which option topic are you doing for phys5?

In my class (though not for me personally), generally unit 4 multiple choice (aka "multiple guess") was found to be the hardest part of the exams.

Lots of us found electromagnetism hard to understand conceptually.

Those who didn't do A level maths struggled most with capacitors.

I think my class generally found unit 5 easier than unit 4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Claree)
    Which option topic are you doing for phys5?

In my class (though not for me personally), generally unit 4 multiple choice (aka "multiple guess") was found to be the hardest part of the exams.

Lots of us found electromagnetism hard to understand conceptually.

Those who didn't do A level maths struggled most with capacitors.

I think my class generally found unit 5 easier than unit 4.
    I believe we are doing either Astro or Turning points. The multiple choice I find quite easy given that a sizable proportion of questions asked are either derivation question or unit conversion/proportionality.

ReputationRep:
    I believe we are doing either Astro or Turning points. The multiple choice I find quite easy given that a sizable proportion of questions asked are either derivation question or unit conversion/proportionality.
    We did astro - none of it was notably difficult, it was probably actually the easiest part of the A level!

Haha yes I found the multiple choice, and all of unit 4 tbh, really easy (having done M1-5 in maths), but less mathematically-minded friends found it the hardest part and tight for time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Personally out of unit 4, the only hard thing was magnetic fields, but even then that wasn't too bad. Unit 5 I found some of the gases stuff pretty tough, despite me loving the radiation topics.
    We did option D: Turning points in Physics, and apart from the Michelson-Morley theory crap, I loved the rest of it! Especially special relativity...which explained why nothing can ever travel faster than the speed of light <3 plus Milikan's oil drop experiment was delightful

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Advice for the multiple choice section: do the written section first in the exam, and then go on to the multiple choice section. If you're a strong mathematically-minded person, go through the multiple choice questions and do all the calculation-based questions first, and then go back and do the theory ones. Just remember, if you have to, spend more time on the written part

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.