Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have insecurity issues with my girlfriend :( Watch

So me and her have been dating for 2 months now and we do love each other loads and I have done so much for her, way more that I ever would do for any girl. However I have a few issues relating to her and social media. She has over 1000 followers on Instagram and is always on Skype on her laptop and always on facebook as well. She told me that she talks to 2 other guys who are just friends but I have accepted that but it is killing me inside. She always posts pictures each day of her on Instagram and gets a trillion likes from random guys that she follows, should I be worried or should I just not care and let it go?

ReputationRep:
    Well you obviously do care, so you can't simply just let it go. Tell her.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't care now, but in my first relationship stuff like that used to bother me quite a bit. I suppose its part of growing up or whatever but if your girlfriend is mature enough to talk to you about it sensibly then bring it up and ask her what she thinks about the people she speaks to online. I would consider it a problem if she was meeting up with them or openly flirting, but if its just to boost her ego its not really a big deal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So me and her have been dating for 2 months now and we do love each other loads and I have done so much for her, way more that I ever would do for any girl. However I have a few issues relating to her and social media. She has over 1000 followers on Instagram and is always on Skype on her laptop and always on facebook as well. She told me that she talks to 2 other guys who are just friends but I have accepted that but it is killing me inside. She always posts pictures each day of her on Instagram and gets a trillion likes from random guys that she follows, should I be worried or should I just not care and let it go?
    i just wouldnt care - how about taking a social media detox and focus on your own interactions and spending time with your girlfriend and you'll probably stop being so insecure and realise you have nothing to worry about

ReputationRep:
    To be honest if she wasn't that hot and liked by so many guys you probably wouldn't like her in the first place. That's just how people work. You being so insecure about losing her is probably what keeps you attached. If you viewed her as an absoloute certainty and if felt like you had entire power over her you wouldn't value her.

(Original post by MedicineMann)
    I wouldn't care now, but in my first relationship stuff like that used to bother me quite a bit. I suppose its part of growing up or whatever but if your girlfriend is mature enough to talk to you about it sensibly then bring it up and ask her what she thinks about the people she speaks to online. I would consider it a problem if she was meeting up with them or openly flirting, but if its just to boost her ego its not really a big deal.
    Thanks, I guess you are right about the ego bit. She has told me before that she has confidence issues and I suspect it must be because of someone saying something horrible in previous relationships.

(Original post by misscherie)
    i just wouldnt care - how about taking a social media detox and focus on your own interactions and spending time with your girlfriend and you'll probably stop being so insecure and realise you have nothing to worry about
    Yess I think you are right, I will try that for sure.

(Original post by Temporality)
    To be honest if she wasn't that hot and liked by so many guys you probably wouldn't like her in the first place. That's just how people work. You being so insecure about losing her is probably what keeps you attached. If you viewed her as an absoloute certainty and if felt like you had entire power over her you wouldn't value her.
    Hmm so what do you suggest I should do? Shall I just allow it and let her do her thing or should I come in between?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm so what do you suggest I should do? Shall I just allow it and let her do her thing or should I come in between?
    There must be a reason why you feel insecure. You must feel she is better than you. That you are not good enough. Address that rather than telling her to close down her instragram, I would say.

(Original post by Temporality)
    There must be a reason why you feel insecure. You must feel she is better than you. That you are not good enough. Address that rather than telling her to close down her instragram, I would say.
    Well it is because I don't feel like I am good enough for her I don't want to tell her because it will upset her. I guess I should deal with my own self confidence then and not worry about what she does online?

ReputationRep:
    Well it is because I don't feel like I am good enough for her I don't want to tell her because it will upset her. I guess I should deal with my own self confidence then and not worry about what she does online?
    Okay let's be clear here - I don't know your exact situation and the ins and outs of your relationship and what needs fixing but one thing is clear: this self-esteem issue of yours. I mean I definitely think it isn't a good thing for you to be feeling this low about yourself in a relationship, feeling that she is out of your league, that you don't measure up. So regardless of where the situation goes, deffo need to work on your esteem.

However the issues could be to do with more than just esteem issues - e.g. a fault in your relationship... because I don't know your relationship I don't know if she's being flirtacious or deliberately flaunting herself on the internet to get male attention and I certainly know what her ulterior motives are. I don't know if you have actual serious trust issues here. I don't know if you feel she will betray you and whetehr her behaviour is an actual problem or whether it is simply tht you are insecure within yourself. Or is it both things - that you are insecure with regards to yoruself AND also you think she will cheat on you due to trust issues in the relationship.

If it is just you are insecure about how good looking you are, you need to work on yourself. If it is a problem with the relationship obviously you need to communicate with her, because communication is the start of fixing anything.

At the end of the day only you can decide this but without disrespecting your girlfriend if she's posting a selfie on instagram everyday for likes, she's probably a bit of an attention-seeking airhead/bimbo and I struggle to understand why you'd like her in the first place. Good luck anyway

ReputationRep:
    Well, too bad for her. Never understood why people felt the need to have 1000 followers on tweeter or 1000 friends on fb etc - even with people who have 500 friends on fb...... they don't talk to half of them, so why have them?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by ninuzu)
    -
    agree?

Now, I'd dump her if her talking to other guys came in between you and her, so ie if she wouldn't reply to you for ages when you message her on fb or something because she was too busy messaging those other guys. I'm not sure if that's what you mean by ''she's always talking to them''...
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Whether your feelings are warranted or not, indulging your insecurity will make it a self-fulfilling prophecy.

(Original post by SoftPunch)
    Well, too bad for her. Never understood why people felt the need to have 1000 followers on tweeter or 1000 friends on fb etc - even with people who have 500 friends on fb...... they don't talk to half of them, so why have them?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    agree?

Now, I'd dump her if her talking to other guys came in between you and her, so ie if she wouldn't reply to you for ages when you message her on fb or something because she was too busy messaging those other guys. I'm not sure if that's what you mean by ''she's always talking to them''...
    I don't understand that either, I think it's just a ego boosting thing for her, so she feels good about herself. So I don't think I will dump her because of that because that is her own fault and problem if she is going to reply back to me late like that.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand that either, I think it's just a ego boosting thing for her, so she feels good about herself. So I don't think I will dump her because of that because that is her own fault and problem if she is going to reply back to me late like that.
    hm yeah I see, good luck.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.