Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm 16, and would like to buy a digital camera for general use, but especially at occasions and holidays.

I really admired the samsung galaxy camera (but now the 2nd version!). However, there are many apps on it like Instagram which I would never use because I do t have an account! Can you delete things like that on the camera??

The camera I want is a small, not too expensive digital camera with good quality photos and not too heavy. Price range nothing over £400 (unless you recommend a fabulous camera for larger than that). I don't mind getting one of those larger cameras (the bulky ones) if the photo quality is good because once buying a camera, I may really enjoy photography as a hobby.

I would still love to get the samsung galaxy camera 2 because I just love the design of it! Also, the camera, although being a latest model, is selling for half the price on Amazon.

Okay, I have rambled on - I just want a few suggestions for cameras which you recommend?

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend four-thirds - the bodies and lenses are light, and the image quality is equal in quality when compared to DSLRs. At the moment, a good choice would be the Olympus Pen E-PL5 with the 14-42 lens. It's got 16 megapixels, good low-light performance and good auto focus.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSR121)
    I'm 16, and would like to buy a digital camera for general use, but especially at occasions and holidays.

I really admired the samsung galaxy camera (but now the 2nd version!). However, there are many apps on it like Instagram which I would never use because I do t have an account! Can you delete things like that on the camera??

The camera I want is a small, not too expensive digital camera with good quality photos and not too heavy. Price range nothing over £400 (unless you recommend a fabulous camera for larger than that). I don't mind getting one of those larger cameras (the bulky ones) if the photo quality is good because once buying a camera, I may really enjoy photography as a hobby.

I would still love to get the samsung galaxy camera 2 because I just love the design of it! Also, the camera, although being a latest model, is selling for half the price on Amazon.

Okay, I have rambled on - I just want a few suggestions for cameras which you recommend?
    Bare in mind the Galaxy Cameras aren't anything more than point and shoots running Android, take away the touch screen and apps and the actual imaging stuff is the same as you'll find in most generic £100 cameras. And given that it's essentially a smartphone, battery life is poor compared to other cameras. In my opinion physical controls are also much more preferable to an all touchscreen option, both for ease of use and because if you accidentally drop the camera and crack the screen, you don't risk losing the vast majority of functions. I'd much rather get a standard point and shoot with WiFi connectivity, it will be cheaper, can achieve the same image quality and can be connected to a smartphone wirelessly for sharing photos quickly and easily through the apps you'd be using on the Galaxy Camera.

As for other recommendations, for £400 you could go a number of ways. You've said you don't want anything too heavy, so it's going to either be a high quality point and shoot or one of the more affordable mirrorless camera systems like micro four-thirds as mentioned above. What are you going to be using the camera for? Do you want something that can fit in a pocket or is it something you aren't going to mind keeping in your bag or walking around with on a strap?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSR121)

I've got a Canon E05 (DSLR) and i would recommend it highly.
    Phone cameras are no more than just point and shoot - as previously stated.

If you really want to get into photography you should definatly invest in a high-end camera, you will experience photography as it is meant to be.

If you can borrow one off a friend if you are not sure if you want to spend heaps of money.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    The best option for you to buy an DSLR camras sp nikon D3200 or 5200 both are quite good and are excellent for any starter if budget is constrain for you you can buy it from nextonly uk or ebay sites.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.