Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.
    I am returning to college in Scotland as a mature student with an aim of completing a degree in social work. To get there I have been given an unconditional place in both HNC social care and Swap access to humanities.
    Just wondering if unis have a preference? HNC will be full time 5 days, access is only 2.5 days a week although still classed as full time. HNC is SAAS and student loan funded, Access course is bursary and college funded.
    I want to do the course that will give me the best opportunity to get into uni next year and I'm not afraid of hard work.
    Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I do not know what the funding is for courses in Scotland, so cannot give you best advice when it comes to the financial side. If you have to take a loan out for the HNC (is the HNC 2 years?) and then a further loan for the degree it could become quite costly.

Some HNCs/HNDs will give you exemptions from the first year of a degree such as Business, but that may not be the case with Social Work as the university has to follow a prescribed programme that has been designed by the College of Social Work.

Access courses are designed to lead into a degree and they equip you with the necessary study skills (eg. note taking, academic essay writing, etc.). You would need to check that the universities concerned would be happy with a Humanities Access course. Some colleges do Access courses in Social Work. You also need GCSE in English and Maths or equivalent qualifications as well as the HNC course. Up until this academic year you could do a level 2 maths equivalent as part of the Access course, but I believe that will not happen next year.

Should you need to build up capital and some experience the Access course does give you some degree of flexibility. However, I would warn against taking too much on as Universities now seek specific grades from those who apply from Access courses. The level 3 units are all graded from pass to distinction on Access courses.

Maybe your starting point should be to decide what Unis you want to progress onto to do the degree, you can then contact them and ask which they would prefer.

I used to lecture on both HND and Access Business courses and have decided on a change of career and intend to go into social work myself. I hope this has been of some help to you.

Best of luck with the application.

x

(Original post by Lesley C)
    Hi there, sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.
    I am returning to college in Scotland as a mature student with an aim of completing a degree in social work. To get there I have been given an unconditional place in both HNC social care and Swap access to humanities.
    Just wondering if unis have a preference? HNC will be full time 5 days, access is only 2.5 days a week although still classed as full time. HNC is SAAS and student loan funded, Access course is bursary and college funded.
    I want to do the course that will give me the best opportunity to get into uni next year and I'm not afraid of hard work.
    Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi. thanks for replying. Its a single one year HNC course direct into uni.
    I couldn't get Access to Social work so had to apply to the Humanities course instead and the lecturer said math was still on it? I have credit standard grades and also internal national units for math and english so i think i should be covered anyway.
    I have contacted the courses where my offers are and also the two potential universities to enquire about preferences of qualification but no one has given me a definitive answer. I am fortunate enough to be given this chance with two courses so would like to pick quickly so I can give the other place to some one else.
    I just want some one to tell me what course is best!
    xx

ReputationRep:
    I am surprised your potential Universities did not give you a definitive answer. Both very good qualifications in their own right and, in a lot of cases, it will be down to the lecturers that teach you and the support you receive. If you do not have to pay the bursary back, I would seriously consider the Access course as a good stepping stone into the degree.

If you have been out of education for sometime, the Access course should easy you back into learning. The Access course would prepare you well for a degree, it was purely designed to provide Adult returners with the skills required for university. The HNC is a vocational qualification and tends not to be as academic as a degree. Your Access tutor should also be able to provide you with sound advice on how to complete the UCAS personal statement when you apply to do the degrees.

You may also want to find out what comments past students have made about the courses that you are considering on What uni?

I hope that helps you a little further in your decision.

ReputationRep:
    You have said all the things I have been thinking. The financial help would give me the extra year of SAAS funding ( I already studied a year using SAAS). The Access course is aimed at adults (I am 29) and the extra help and flexibility of the 2.5 day Access course gives me time to continue working part time and spend time with my kids also!
    Think I am leaning heavier toward the Access.

Thank you for your opinions and advice. Really appreciate it.
    Good luck with your future studies also!

Lx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.