Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Pros and cons of each would be much appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Speaking as someone who's been an apprentice for 12 months, my experience has not been great.

I feel an apprenticeship depends on where it's at and how you're trained. Mine has all been 'on the job' training resulting in nothing but knowing how to prepare a car for a respray, mixing paint and calculating quotes. Sure, I've gained skills but it's not what I expected and for what I *truly* want to do, an apprenticeship isn't the path to take. This is why i'm thinking of going back to education.

My brother however was a success, he dropped out of college after a year for an apprenticeship and his has worked out great. He's now a fully qualified mechanic at a top dealership with all sorts of qualifications and it's a job he loves, which is the most important factor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perky Kangaroo)
    Speaking as someone who's been an apprentice for 12 months, my experience has not been great.

I feel an apprenticeship depends on where it's at and how you're trained. Mine has all been 'on the job' training resulting in nothing but knowing how to prepare a car for a respray, mixing paint and calculating quotes. Sure, I've gained skills but it's not what I expected and for what I *truly* want to do, an apprenticeship isn't the path to take. This is why i'm thinking of going back to education.

My brother however was a success, he dropped out of college after a year for an apprenticeship and his has worked out great. He's now a fully qualified mechanic at a top dealership with all sorts of qualifications and it's a job he loves, which is the most important factor.
    So if I was wanting to do an apprenticeship for the career I wanted to do.. Say estate agency would I be better off doing an apprenticeship?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jo890)
    So if I was wanting to do an apprenticeship for the career I wanted to do.. Say estate agency would I be better off doing an apprenticeship?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have no experience or knowledge in that area but I'd say yes. You'd learn from the employees already there and no doubt you'd be sent to college to learn. Careers like that are probably more suited towards apprenticeships whereas wanting to have a career in law or medicine you'd go to Uni.

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on what you want to do and what kind of uni's you'd be looking at. For things like finance, law or engineering an apprenticeship would be a great idea if you're not aiming for the top 15 or so uni's in those subjects as your chances of getting into a relevant field with your degree drop quite a bit after that threshold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jo890)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I wouldnt say EA would require an apprenticeship .Its more about experience, a sharp suit, a smart car ,some bling and a Del Boy way of conducting business.

ReputationRep:
    I would say ..dont listen to the siren voices of Government who are talking all sorts of baloney about STEMs and apprenticeships. If you go down that route, make sure that it is high quality structured training with a well known company..not some half arsed pushing the brush and making tea affair..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limpopo)
    I wouldnt say EA would require an apprenticeship .Its more about experience, a sharp suit, a smart car ,some bling and a Del Boy way of conducting business.
    Haha better brush up on my only fools and horses

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm not certain that's what I definatley want to do do you think it would be worth emailing a local ea and asking them if I can do work experience for a couple of days

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.