Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just passed my driving test yesterday. going to buy a car soon. I made a thread a while ago about getting a saloon car. but it might be better if I got a smallish car first.

What bhp would you suggest? I learnt in a 118bhp car.

I was looking at renault clio sport 182bhp. It's possible if I play around with the quotes to get it down to £1600, otherwise £2000 insurance.

My instructor advised me to get a smallish engine first, but instinctively I drive like a bit of a **** if I'm honest (never going to drive like on the test again) and I'm worried that a low powered car say 1.0 engine 60bhp isn't going to respond the way I want it to for my driving style.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisistheend)
    I just passed my driving test yesterday. going to buy a car soon. I made a thread a while ago about getting a saloon car. but it might be better if I got a smallish car first.

I was looking at renault clio sport 182bhp. It's possible if I play around with the quotes to get it down to £1600, otherwise £2000 insurance.

My instructor advised me to get a smallish engine first, but instinctively I drive like a bit of a **** if I'm honest (never going to drive like on the test again) and I'm worried that a low powered car say 1.0 engine 60bhp isn't going to respond the way I want it to for my driving style.

You don't need a fast car. Your driving style can, frankly, change, and if you don't drive safely you're going to put yourself and other people in danger.

Most 1.0 engines are pretty gutless, though. If you're at a Corsa size or below, I think 1.2 would be fine; if Golf size, a 1.4 would be sensible.

ReputationRep:
    My car is only 75bhp but isn't that slow, can get over 100mph in a 1.2, which is quite scary tbf

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattcam94)
    My car is only 75bhp but isn't that slow, can get over 100mph in a 1.2, which is quite scary tbf

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well, the top speed isn't that important. I think I'll probably get done if I go over 100 but who knows. I already overtake at 90mph on A roads anyway (was totally blasted by instructor for it tbf). I'm planning on buying a laser/radar detection for the speed cameras so who knows. It's the acceleration and responsiveness, to start off faster than the car next to you at the traffic lights, to overtake doddlers on the left lane and undertake the right lane hoggers.

(Original post by Veni Vidi Fugi)
    You don't need a fast car. Your driving style can, frankly, change, and if you don't drive safely you're going to put yourself and other people in danger.

Most 1.0 engines are pretty gutless, though. If you're at a Corsa size or below, I think 1.2 would be fine; if Golf size, a 1.4 would be sensible.
    Yeah it comes down to that, being "sensible". My instructor actually told me he wasn't afraid I'll fail the test, but that I'll pass it because I'll have put on a show for the examiner. He was joking ofc but he can guess what sort of driver I'll be after passing without him telling me off. He also said I lacked the emotional maturity to drive sensibly lol.

ReputationRep:
    £1600 for a 182bph car? My friend's insurance for a 1.0 60 something bhp 106 is £2,000.
    Mine is £1500 for a 1.3 60 something bhp Ford KA!

I don't drive fast or aggressively but I find my KA fast and nippy and it'll do me fine until I can afford an MR2 and it's insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perky Kangaroo)
    £1600 for a 182bph car? My friend's insurance for a 1.0 60 something bhp 106 is £2,000.

I don't drive fast or aggressively but I find my KA fast and nippy and it'll do me fine until I can afford an MR2 and it's insurance.
    I'm 25 and a teacher. But it's mainly for some weird reason I've gotten 182 clio quotes a lot cheaper than 172 clio quotes (all at £2500)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perky Kangaroo)

Insurance is odd. Sometimes it works for you, sometimes it doesn't.

Prime example; A round shape Toyota supra is over £400 for me to insure which is frankly, stupid. Yet the Jaguar XJR I'm off to see tomorrow is a much more reasonable £230.

ReputationRep:

If you drive like a pleb get a slow car. Then you can rev the crap out of it and feel like you're going fast whilst not putting other people in danger

ReputationRep:
    "I overtake at 90mph on a-roads anyway".

Ugh. Hand your licence in before you bloody kill someone. Really hope you don't live near me because you seem like a complete and utter danger to everyone's lives on the road. Think of others, their families, parents, children etc before you drive like a dildo and end someone's life. I cannot STAND people who drive dangerously, but people who brag about it make me sick

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueEyedDoll)
    "I overtake at 90mph on a-roads anyway".

Ugh. Hand your licence in before you bloody kill someone. Really hope you don't live near me because you seem like a complete and utter danger to everyone's lives on the road. Think of others, their families, parents, children etc before you drive like a dildo and end someone's life. I cannot STAND people who drive dangerously, but people who brag about it make me sick

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not as bad as me mate, he did 110mph! And FYI, speed limits are just arbitrary, Germany has no speed limits on Autobahns, a much more sensible system where better drivers with better cars can go as fast as they can.

ReputationRep:
    Well, the top speed isn't that important. I think I'll probably get done if I go over 100 but who knows. I already overtake at 90mph on A roads anyway (was totally blasted by instructor for it tbf). I'm planning on buying a laser/radar detection for the speed cameras so who knows. It's the acceleration and responsiveness, to start off faster than the car next to you at the traffic lights, to overtake doddlers on the left lane and undertake the right lane hoggers.

Yeah it comes down to that, being "sensible". My instructor actually told me he wasn't afraid I'll fail the test, but that I'll pass it because I'll have put on a show for the examiner. He was joking ofc but he can guess what sort of driver I'll be after passing without him telling me off. He also said I lacked the emotional maturity to drive sensibly lol.
    Most people won't be revving their engines to 7k rpm - it's not hard to overtake people, even in a modest 1.2/1.4 engine.

Reading that second paragraph, it's drivers like you who are likely to become just another statistic. Grow up, driving isn't a game. You not only put your life in danger driving like an idiot, but others too. It's one thing injuring yourself, but don't be so selfish to cause injury to others by your own actions.

ReputationRep:

And its because of morons like you why my bloody insurance is so high (if this isn't a troll)!

For you my friend I recommend a mobility Scooter, they're ideal if you're a young lad with a massively over inflated ego. They barely go above walking pace and they're top heavy so if you get too reckless on them all that's going to happen is you're going to make a [email protected] of yourself.

In all seriousness though, slow down! If the crash you're inevitably going to have doesn't kill you then the person you hit or someone close to them will!

ReputationRep:
    Suck it up and get something slow mate. You'll crash it anyway, even because it's slow, because you have an awful attitude. Hopefully you won't hurt anyone in the process like you might in a more powerful car.

ReputationRep:
    He should go to rally driving school, perhaps then he would learn that "better" car will go out of control exacly the same way as the "worse", and that the low power car will be both enough quick and difficult to drive.

I've started learning to drive when I was 14 years old. My first car that I've been using after gaining my driver's license, had 1.1 54HP engine and I'm glad that it wasn't stronger, because no doubt, I would be dead If had a faster car by that time. Once I was driving as fast as I could, and hardly kept the car on the road. Few miles more, and I would get off the road at 120kph, straight into trees. Still, this was not enough to teach me, I had to crash into a tree at 60kph to learn.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Vauxhall Astra is surprisingly nippy and responsive, or if you can find one in good knick a Saab 9-8 convertible is pretty good (granted finding parts for them is a pain, and they're more of a saloon)

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.