Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know the method but have spent ages wondering why I can't get the right values in the simultaneous equation:
    y=3x-1
    x^2-y^2+12x=0

Can anyone help/solve please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You know that

y = 3x - 1

therefore, substitute that into y^2 to get a quadratic in x (since you have y in terms of x), and solve as you would solve a quadratic normally. Then, once you've ascertained x, substitute that into

y = 3x - 1

to find the corresponding y value(s).

ReputationRep:
    Do you know what the answers are supposed to be? Also does the answer have to be whole?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I know that's the method but it is a non calculator question and I am assuming the answer is relatively basic numbers, I end up with the simplified quadratic -8x^2+6x+1=0, is this correct by this stage?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadowninja107)
    I know that's the method but it is a non calculator question and I am assuming the answer is relatively basic numbers, I end up with the simplified quadratic -8x^2+6x+1=0, is this correct by this stage?

Posted from TSR Mobile

y = 3x-1

Therefore, y^2 = (3x-1)^2

Substituting (3x-1)^2 into x^2 - y^2 +12x = 0 as the y^2:

x^2 - (3x-1)^2 + 12x = 0

Solve from there.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yep that's what I get, now just quadratic formula both of them and plug both answers back into the original y=3x-1 .

ReputationRep:
    You should get:
    When x = 2.193, y = 5.579
    When x = 0.057, y=-0.829

It depends on how you round it because you have to use the quadratic formula.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Bring all the terms on the other side so that it becomes positive rather than negative. It makes things much more easier. So you should get 8x^2-18x+1. It's 18x because 6x +12x =18x. Be careful of your signs.

ReputationRep:
    Or do you just want me to show you the whole working out?

ReputationRep:
    You should get 8x^2-18x+1=0 and from there, use the x=(-(b)^2± √(b)^2-4(ac))/2(a) formula to get the values of x, then substitue back into any equation of your choice to get the y values

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brainiac_98)
    You should get 8x^2-18x+1=0 and from there, use the x=(-(b)^2± √(b)^2-4(ac))/2(a) formula to get the values of x, then substitue back into any equation of your choice to get the y values

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, exactly!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.