Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!

My name's Andy, current Pharmacy Society president at UEA, i'm messaging in different threads about UEA and pharmacy in general, and this thread probably wont blow up until results kick in and everyone knows where they're going for certain!

But, for anyone who wants to know anything about UEA, the course, or even the city, feel free to post here, or check my signature for other contact options!

Good luck for August guys.

Andy

EDIT: Fresher FB link for new students freshers.ueapharmacysociety.co.u k

ReputationRep:
    Bumping this as it's results day!

ReputationRep:
    Hello! Its a bit empty on here
    I loved the UEA Open day but went for Medicine talks and having got AABC today (AS), Ive decided against Medicine and to go for Pharmacy since I love chemistry and it still is a health care profession.
    ANYWAY, are there interviews? And are they intense?
    Also, how practical is the course in first year, is it very lecture-based?
    AND LASTLY, what kind of work experience is expected? Currently have homeless shelter, nursery, care home. Obviously needing pharmacy haha, but would that be sufficient?
    Ok, I have another question lol . Whats the hours like?
    I have more questions, but I shall spare you for now (until you reply to this post)

ReputationRep:
    Hey Faithams,

I'll try to answer as well as I can, sorry to hear about your results causing you to change from Medicine to Pharmacy, but those are still really great results, and if you like the idea of Pharmacy then everyone's happy.

(Original post by Faithams)
    ANYWAY, are there interviews? And are they intense?
    Yes, when I applied back in 2010 to start in 2011, I had an interview at every school of pharmacy, I assume there are some cases where they wont interview students, but in large they will.

UEA does, and it's a very relaxed event really, you meet with a lecturer, they talk about the course, what you like to do as a hobby, why you like UEA, why UEA and not another school? That kind of thing, it was actually the most comfortable I felt in an interview out of all the schools I visited. I don't think they would have changed their approach much in the last few years.

Also, how practical is the course in first year, is it very lecture-based?
    Very practical. You will be in labs often. The first year gets everyone up to a similar level scientifically across Chem/Bio/Maths and a bit of physics (Only a little bit to describe chemicals, not enough to worry about). Although I would say it's the year with the most lab time, there is still a large amount of lectures, but that's pharmacy.

Second year introduces more clinical aspects with a higher scientific level.

Third year is almost completely clinical, and final year is largely your project with a few modules which vary.

AND LASTLY, what kind of work experience is expected? Currently have homeless shelter, nursery, care home. Obviously needing pharmacy haha, but would that be sufficient?
    I can't say on behalf of the school what is sufficient, I would say from a personal standpoint you wont need as much as the average medical student would, but remember you're trying to compete with other potential pharmacy students. I would say you have a significant amount more than the average potential student, getting pharmacy experience would be good, but not the end of the world if you're not able to. If you explain to them that you tried messaging pharmacys for experience and couldn't find anywhere, I imagine they'll be sympathetic and will admire your previous ventures.

Ok, I have another question lol . Whats the hours like?
    More than your average science student, significantly more than an arts degree.

I'd say around 25-30 hours per week contact hour in my first year, but that was a few years ago. There's also a fair bit of coursework in year 1 so you'll be putting in extra hours on top of that.

Hope that helps!

Andy

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.