Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does kinesio tape work? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does kinesiology tape work?

I have a painful hip flexor which I think I "pulled" a few days ago and it gets really painful sometimes. I was thinking of putting that on when I play football in a couple of days, or even just have it on in general so I can give it some support.

Does it work like that or would I just be wasting my money?

ReputationRep:
    From what I've seen in premiership rugby they tend to use it on the hamstrings a lot. Whether that's to put less tension on the hip flexors or if it's soley for the hammys I'm not too sure, but it must be useful if professional sports teams are using it.

I looked into using it on my hip flexors a few months ago (there's a few youtube videos on it) and it looks as if it might be of some use. I haven't personally tried it though so your best bet is to google around and see what people who have used it say!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claret_n_blue)
    Does kinesiology tape work?

I have a painful hip flexor which I think I "pulled" a few days ago and it gets really painful sometimes. I was thinking of putting that on when I play football in a couple of days, or even just have it on in general so I can give it some support.

Does it work like that or would I just be wasting my money?
    I personally haven't found it very useful during games but use it sometimes as rehab after tough games/training; I think the point is it pulls up the layer of fat away from muscle which helps reduce inflammation and recovery. I'd put it on now before you sleep, but if you just want support probably stick to standard zinc oxide tape - cheaper and more inelastic.

Ice the hip flexor as well, but if you don't feel 100% don't play, you'll probably just aggravate it and put yourself out of football for longer.

ReputationRep:
    It's one of these things that people claim work when they use it but isn't supported by science or in the case of this tape the science is sketchy. It's a bit like acupuncture. I personally wouldn't use it because I'd rather have actual strap support or in the case of pain relief I find painkillers better.

But whether a placebo or not if it helps you with your goals then go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, it doesn't work. At least, not any better than any plain old tape - it will give slight support, but no other benefits aside from that (it definitely doesn't alleviate inflammation like the abover poster suggested).

ReputationRep:
    Probably just search Kinesio Tape on Google Scholar and read some scientific reports; the first 5 I read all showed statistically significant results compared to normal tape, 4 to do with rehab after serious muscular issues. It's your choice whether you believe them... then again you could just accept the broscience above if you wanted to.

I would be interested in your source if you have one though Tizzy

ReputationRep:
    The only vague way it could possibly be beneficial was if it contained topical NSAIDs. Even then it would be pretty questionable as I doubt the penetration would get anywhere beyond subcut fat.

Maybe it simply works as physical prompt to rest that joint?

ReputationRep:
    I use it a fair amount when I'm feeling a lot of muscle pain, I've used it mainly for my back or my calves but for me I find it really does help. I don't know if I'd say I've used it for 'pulling' a muscle though, usually just for if my muscles are really tight, cramping or if I'm playing a tournament and I've got serious DOMS from the day before

I suppose you won't find out until you use it yourself though

ReputationRep:
    I use it sometimes. Just use it, it you like it keep using it.

ReputationRep:
    It looks pretty but that's about it, from what I've read it doesn't have a strong scientific backing to it.

ReputationRep:
    I've had it for my ankles and knee when I pulled them and it helped more than tubigrips or strapping did - it allowed flexibility but was still supportive and let me move the muscles more. The way it's applied it kind of reminds me when you're going too far as well, part of my problem being that my foot wasn't stable enough so would go all over the place. I didn't get that kind of feedback with the normal strapping.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.