Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    After looking at my diet it turned out I had been eating very low calories for most of my life. That explained why I am 8st 8lbs and very skinny.

I started lifting last Friday, and also overhauled my diet (still various deficiencies I haven't ironed out yet but I'm hitting the right proportions of protein/carbs/fats now).

It's been 5 days since starting and I've gained 4lbs, having gone up to 8st 12lbs.

Is this too much of a rapid gain? my TDEE is 2242 according to IIFYM. My target for bulking is 2466 calories but I usually eat 2350-2500. I thought it would be more like 1lb/week. Could it be an initial thing?

I'm just worried about ending up "skinny-fat" tbh.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spleenharvester)
    After looking at my diet it turned out I had been eating very low calories for most of my life. That explained why I am 8st 8lbs and very skinny.

I started lifting last Friday, and also overhauled my diet (still various deficiencies I haven't ironed out yet but I'm hitting the right proportions of protein/carbs/fats now).

It's been 5 days since starting and I've gained 4lbs, having gone up to 8st 12lbs.

Is this too much of a rapid gain? my TDEE is 2242 according to IIFYM. My target for bulking is 2466 calories but I usually eat 2350-2500. I thought it would be more like 1lb/week. Could it be an initial thing?

I'm just worried about ending up "skinny-fat" tbh.

Cheers
    Initial water gain etc.

Carry on what you're eating for two weeks, and then track your progress.

Also, I'm glad you've done your research!

ReputationRep:
    Generally, if you're eating more calories than your body normally requires to sustain itself, you'll gain weight and vice versa. Other factors are involved but this is the base to any weight gain or loss.

Considering you've been eating lower calories, a sudden jump in weight when you've overhauled your diet is expected. Like a fire that's been starved of fuel, it wont be too big, give it more fuel, it'll get bigger.

Again, well done on the research, keep it up.

For some other advice, there is one or two posts on my blog (the 2nd post would probably be the most relevant)

HTML Code:
    beremarkableorbeforgotten.blogspot.com

ReputationRep:
    I'd imagine its similar to the big initial loss that people dieting experience.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.