Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I've always been interested about this and was wondering if anyone studying German History or similar can explain and answer some questions.
    1) why did Germany split up after the war and why was East Germany so (I wanna say unpopular) because like in the World Cup only West Germany were mentioned and won etc
    2) why did Berlin split up and I don't understand why because both parts were in East Germany so it was kinda pointless and never really understood why a city in East Germany was randomly split??
    3) why did both rejoin together etc.
    I know there's quite a lot to answer but I can never trust yahoo answers and Wikipedia is bulls**** so was just hoping someone would be able to answer these queries I've always had in the back of my head about this country

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 26december)
    Hi I've always been interested about this and was wondering if anyone studying German History or similar can explain and answer some questions.
    1) why did Germany split up after the war and why was East Germany so (I wanna say unpopular) because like in the World Cup only West Germany were mentioned and won etc
    2) why did Berlin split up and I don't understand why because both parts were in East Germany so it was kinda pointless and never really understood why a city in East Germany was randomly split??
    3) why did both rejoin together etc.
    I know there's quite a lot to answer but I can never trust yahoo answers and Wikipedia is bulls**** so was just hoping someone would be able to answer these queries I've always had in the back of my head about this country

Posted from TSR Mobile
    While your scepticism is admirable, I think that in this case wikipedia can be trusted to answer your basic questions.

ReputationRep:
    Wikipedia will be satisfactory but here are very brief answers:

1. Germany was divided up between the WW2 Allies (UK, USA, France and the USSR). The western allies decided to unite as one country while the USSR made its own.
    2. Berlin was the capital and so it was decided that that should be sub divided.
    3. A misunderstood memo couplied with Honecker's vacation of the post along with the ongoing peaceful revolution in Europe caused the wall to be brought down.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.