Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are any of you offended by this word as much as I am? Watch

ReputationRep:
    The word I'm talking about is the n-word ...

I find it horrible ... as soon as someone says it, on print or in speech, I lose all credibility and respect for them..

I seen and heard it really often, especially walking around a black community. I don't see why they can say it so freely to one another, and whenever someone else does they all get fussed about it.

There are different ways you can write it, but that shouldn't change what it is?

How do you feel about it? Where do you stand with its use?
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I think it's okay for people who share the same ethnicity to me able to say words which would come off as slightly racist if someone else said it, it's just how it is.

ReputationRep:
    It's no big deal. It's usually used as a general reference or just to fill a sentence, but when people use the word in a sentence to deliberately spite someone then clearly people will become offended!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beyknowles)
    It's no big deal. It's usually used as a general reference or just to fill a sentence, but when people use the word in a sentence to deliberately spite someone then clearly people will become offended!
    Really? So if I went up to my friend and said "Sup my N****a?" ... that'd be alright? ... what has the world come to lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilypear)
    I think it's okay for people who share the same ethnicity to me able to say words which would come off as slightly racist if someone else said it, it's just how it is.

I think it's rude and racist, end of. No one should say it.

ReputationRep:
    I hate the word, and seeing as I'm white I definitely have no right to use it, but if people want to reclaim derogatory words for themselves, it's not my business, if they're fine with it, I don't have the right to tell them what they can and cannot say

ReputationRep:
    Well black people use the word because it makes the word lose any power, it is a word originally intended to insult and offend, so if black people use it freely with one another, it is no longer offensive or insulting. Black people may get 'fussed' when other people use it as they aren't black.. simple

ReputationRep:
    Well words are just words at the end of the day, I think it's more about the context than anything since it's usually pretty clear if there's malice behind it or not. That being said it's obviously a controversial word and considering its background I don't really understand why people still use it so freely and then don't understand why people are offended...

Also I'm still not sure whether it's a good thing or a bad thing that some black people have sort of 'claimed' it so that they can use it without intending to be offensive, I get the feeling that racists would just use this as an excuse to say it without appearing overtly racist. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

nagger?

ReputationRep:
    No.

I hear it all the time, I hardly even know any black people. I respect other's views on its use, though I can't help but to get annoyed when I hear people say "only black people can use it" for any reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nohomo)
    Spoiler:
    Show

nagger?

Numpty, definitely numpty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RadishWadish)
    Numpty, definitely numpty

ReputationRep:
    i think u mean

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    I don't say it simply because people are far too tetchy about the whole "is it racist or not, IDK, but let's say it's racist just to make sure I'm following the crowd and not being persecuted for it!"

ReputationRep:
    It's rude and derogatory for non-blacks to say

ReputationRep:
    i'm not offended by it. it's a stupid word. If it were offensive, then black people wouldn't be using it either.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not offended by it, these days in many parts of Asia it has a different connotation to it and it has absolutely nothing to do with a African/Black person at all.

Quite common in some circles where they will refer to a White, Chinese, Indian or any other race with the N-word if that person is pure scum, think crooks, rapist etc.

ReputationRep:
    I think its just the fact that when a black person says it to another black person it isn't offensive because they can't really say it in a derogatory way that wouldn't end offending themselves too. Black people say it to eachother in a form of brotherhood sort of thing, when someone calls someone the N-word, they usually mean a friend, or a brother/sister whereas when a white person says it, its often hard for it not to be offensive because generally white people have only ever used it in a derogatory manner. Its almost like the word changes meaning depending on who uses it.

Sometimes a black person and a white person can have a friendship where they call eachother terms like the N-word because they are aware that they aren't saying it in an offensive manner, whereas if a random white person called that same person the N-word, that person would be offended because they don't have that sort of a relationship and they'd automatically assume that they were calling them the N-word in the derogatory manner instead of the casual manner so its about the sort of relationship between the two people using the word.

I don't see why people can't understand why its okay for black people to say it and not okay for white people to say it. A black person can't really use it in a rude way because then they'd be also insulting themselves so automatically the word loses power.

It doesn't offend me when a black person uses it (because its like the pot calling the kettle black - literally) but it offends me when a white person uses it. A white person making fun at someone for being white is not the same as a black person making fun at someone for being white or vice versa.

I find it humerous if used properly. I laughed m head off at almost every scene in blazing saddles. I wouldn't use it in a serious way tho.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Dodgy Git)
      Really? So if I went up to my friend and said "Sup my N****a?" ... that'd be alright? ... what has the world come to lol
      Yep though its mainly used by black people, its good really because in the 30s+ it wasnt seen as racism as degrading blacks was normal. Using now shows how blacks have overcame this

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.