The Student Room Group

TSA doing 5/3/1.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Motorbiker
He needs a name change for his blog then. :tongue:

Yeah I've moved on to 5/3/1 Boring but big. :redface:

Need thread title change.
in

i did 5/3/1 for like 9 months and it didn't go that well. but then i was cutting and also wasn't focusing on rep records at all until like the last month or 2. are you logging your assistance?
Squat today: Had a terrible sleep today, practically none. No idea why though, had to be up early and wasn't feeling the usual motivation.
Did 97.5 x 1 x 6 which is pretty disappointing if I'm honest, but I'm just going to put it down to one of them days and hopefully have a better squat day next week.

Sleep, diet and organisation is going to be a lot more important as uni starts on Monday. Back to the grind.

Original post by Implication
in

i did 5/3/1 for like 9 months and it didn't go that well. but then i was cutting and also wasn't focusing on rep records at all until like the last month or 2. are you logging your assistance?

Yeah kind of so after the main part, I do 5 x 10reps for 50% of my training max for the lift for the day. This is for all the lifts.

I do leg curls lying and sitting for the squat and deadlifts respectively.
And I do dumbbell rows as assistance exercise with bench.
Nothing with military press because I can do only two pull ups with decent form. Will probably find them easier if I lost some fat, got a bit of a pot belly going on but any recommendations for alternatives to the pull ups in the meantime for an assistance exercise would be appreciated, I've contemplated using a band to help with pull ups but not sure how effective that is.

I started 5/3/1 in August and I do two cycles back to back and then a de-load week. I'm currently on well finished week 8, had a de-load last week.

It's hard to measure progress as I'm using different weights and reps but I'm smashing previous rep records on each weight so I'm probably making progress. Not sure whether it will be a good move to attempt 1RM lifts as it might hinder progress but tempted just for curiosity sake maybe in a couple of weeks.

Did you make any progress or just nothing? What you doing now?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TSA
Squat today: Had a terrible sleep today, practically none. No idea why though, had to be up early and wasn't feeling the usual motivation.
Did 97.5 x 1 x 6 which is pretty disappointing if I'm honest, but I'm just going to put it down to one of them days and hopefully have a better squat day next week.

Sleep, diet and organisation is going to be a lot more important as uni starts on Monday. Back to the grind.

Yeah kind of so after the main part, I do 5 x 10reps for 50% of my training max for the lift for the day. This is for all the lifts.

Nothing with military press because I can do only two pull ups with decent form. Will probably find them easier if I lost some fat, got a bit of a pot belly going on but any recommendations for alternatives to the pull ups in the meantime for an assistance exercise would be appreciated, I've contemplated using a band to help with pull ups but not sure how effective that is.

I started 5/3/1 in August and I do two cycles back to back and then a de-load week. I'm currently on well finished week 8, had a de-load last week.

It's hard to measure progress as I'm using different weights and reps but I'm smashing previous rep records on each weight so I'm probably making progress. Not sure whether it will be a good move to attempt 1RM lifts as it might hinder progress but tempted just for curiosity sake maybe in a couple of weeks.

Resistance band pull-ups are great for progression.
With chin-ups it helped me get from no chin-ups to 5x5. I'm also quite heavy

Posted from TSR Mobile
struggle with bodyweight chin/pull ups crew checking in
Original post by RobJ93
Resistance band pull-ups are great for progression.
With chin-ups it helped me get from no chin-ups to 5x5. I'm also quite heavy

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've had a look at some online, they seem to have resistance weights next to them, what do they mean and how do you choose which ones you need?

How exactly did you go from no chin ups to 5x5 like what was your workout programme for chin ups with resistance bands?
Original post by TSA
I've had a look at some online, they seem to have resistance weights next to them, what do they mean and how do you choose which ones you need?

How exactly did you go from no chin ups to 5x5 like what was your workout programme for chin ups with resistance bands?

The resistance stated by the band shows the amount of weight being removed from your bodyweight at full stretch. I used a max of 40kg resistance through my progression.
I added Chins at the end of whatever day included OHP.

To begin, I used the resistance band for 5 sets, making sure to deadhang each rep.
Once I could achieve 5 x 5 deadhang with the band, I progressed to 5 x 7 with the band.
From there I was able to complete 1 or 2 full deadhang reps without the band.
I would then as many reps without the band each set followed by resistance banded reps up to seven on each set.
I followed that scheme until I got 5 sets of 5 with no band.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RobJ93
The resistance stated by the band shows the amount of weight being removed from your bodyweight at full stretch. I used a max of 40kg resistance through my progression.
I added Chins at the end of whatever day included OHP.

To begin, I used the resistance band for 5 sets, making sure to deadhang each rep.
Once I could achieve 5 x 5 deadhang with the band, I progressed to 5 x 7 with the band.
From there I was able to complete 1 or 2 full deadhang reps without the band.
I would then as many reps without the band each set followed by resistance banded reps up to seven on each set.
I followed that scheme until I got 5 sets of 5 with no band.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you determine what resistant band to use?

How long did it take to go from 0 to 5x5?
Original post by TSA

Can you do one chin up?
Original post by illusionz
Can you do one chin up?

I can do one pull up, maybe two with good form if the main workout wasn't too taxing.
Original post by TSA
I can do one pull up, maybe two with good form if the main workout wasn't too taxing.

Then I'd have thought you don't need too much weight taken off. Although bands do nothing at the top and lots at the bottom so it's not like an assisted machine. I'd guess 10-15kg? Depends how heavy you are also.
Original post by illusionz
Then I'd have thought you don't need too much weight taken off. Although bands do nothing at the top and lots at the bottom so it's not like an assisted machine. I'd guess 10-15kg? Depends how heavy you are also.

I was looking here https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/woodys-training-bands.html and was thinking of getting the super mini one, don't want to get the mini one only to realise I was too optimistic when buying and it isn't much help.

Also not sure if 20" will be sufficient or if I should go for the 41" will be using it with a power rack.
I weigh about 80kg (can't give exact figure as I haven't weighed myself in a few months, need to get a new scale, using body weight scales to weigh suitcases is a bad move).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TSA
Yeah I've moved on to 5/3/1 Boring but big. :redface:

Need thread title change.

Done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TSA

Just grabbed one at random from the wall in all honesty, they supply them in my gym.
About 2 months will a little weight loss.
Started at 87kg, now at 83kg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TSA

What set/rep schemes are you using for your rows, leg curls etc.? If you can, I'd advice doing GHRs instead and maybe some heavy ab work the other day. Re pull ups, I'd say do a few sets of chin ups (palms facing you) instead. If you still can't make your desired volume then do some lat pulldowns or more rows - you just want more lat work of some kind.

If you want to push up your pull up or chin up numbers, the best investment is without question a pull up bar for home. Then you can grease your groove - do a set every time you walk past of as many reps as you can without going near failure, even if that's only 1 or 2 reps each set at first. This is hands down the best way to get better up pull ups and chin ups and it has worked well for me.

Best advice I can give for tracking progress on 5/3/1 is to write a list of all the weights you've used for each exercise and the maximum number of reps you've ever hit for that weight. Then whenever the program calls for you to do an all-out set at that weight try to break your current rep max for that weight. Occasionally you might be better off just getting the min reps (e.g. if you hit a rep record for that weight just last session and it was a huge grind), but generally this should work well.

1RM attempts are completely unnecessary and will take your eyes of the prize (which should be rep records as described above). However, they're very easy to program in - just don't do the extra reps on the all-out set and then go straight into 1RM attempts. Probably best to do on a 3+ week but probably not a big deal.

My press went down, my bench stayed about the same (though I did hit some new rep records just because I'd not tried to max out at lower weight before), my squat went up about 15kg but I also switched to low bar over that period. Best success was my deadlift which probably went up by around 30kg, but this was over a long period (9-12 months I think, not sure exactly). My log is here if you want more detail, the first post has a general overview.

I'm doing ICF now, not sure exactly how strong I am but adding weight to the bar every workout so hey, can't complain. So far I'm down to 76kg from 89.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Implication
What set/rep schemes are you using for your rows, leg curls etc.? If you can, I'd advice doing GHRs instead and maybe some heavy ab work the other day. Re pull ups, I'd say do a few sets of chin ups (palms facing you) instead. If you still can't make your desired volume then do some lat pulldowns or more rows - you just want more lat work of some kind.

If you want to push up your pull up or chin up numbers, the best investment is without question a pull up bar for home. Then you can grease your groove - do a set every time you walk past of as many reps as you can without going near failure, even if that's only 1 or 2 reps each set at first. This is hands down the best way to get better up pull ups and chin ups and it has worked well for me.

I just found a weight I'm comfortable at and do it for 5x10, it's a pretty low weight as I'm pretty much dead after the main workout and doing 5x10 for 50% of training max.
So what would I cut sitting or lying leg raises? I'll see how the GHRs feel and depending on how difficult/easy I find them will determine on whether I do it on Squat day or deadlift day.

I've thought about that but seen some videos of some pretty funny/slightly dangerous slips and falls if it comes off whilst doing them. Preferably I need a low cost cheap version so still deciding on whether to get the resistance band or pull up bar. I'm also saving up for some olympic weight lifting shoes, so need to be wary of what I spend for the next few weeks.

Best advice I can give for tracking progress on 5/3/1 is to write a list of all the weights you've used for each exercise and the maximum number of reps you've ever hit for that weight. Then whenever the program calls for you to do an all-out set at that weight try to break your current rep max for that weight. Occasionally you might be better off just getting the min reps (e.g. if you hit a rep record for that weight just last session and it was a huge grind), but generally this should work well.

That is what I do. I think that might explain the squat this week because the week before last I remember pushing my self feeling sick after doing 10 reps with 105. Then again I should have recovered last week as it was a de load week.

1RM attempts are completely unnecessary and will take your eyes of the prize (which should be rep records as described above). However, they're very easy to program in - just don't do the extra reps on the all-out set and then go straight into 1RM attempts. Probably best to do on a 3+ week but probably not a big deal.

I've seen a few quotes saying train for your strength not test it or words to that effect and I suppose that is what it means. But the inner bro in me wants me to do it just for curiosity and slight ego reasons. :lol:

My press went down, my bench stayed about the same (though I did hit some new rep records just because I'd not tried to max out at lower weight before), my squat went up about 15kg but I also switched to low bar over that period. Best success was my deadlift which probably went up by around 30kg, but this was over a long period (9-12 months I think, not sure exactly). My log is here if you want more detail, the first post has a general overview.

I'm doing ICF now, not sure exactly how strong I am but adding weight to the bar every workout so hey, can't complain. So far I'm done to 76kg from 89.

Thanks I'll have a read when I get some time. I see at least you made a little progress. I've been on this programme for about two months and feel I'm making good progress albeit slightly slow but progress nonetheless. So I'm happy and going to stick with it for the time being.
(edited 9 years ago)
Monday: Military Press

First day of uni today well of second year, woke up feeling like a piece of ****. Sleeping patterns are terrible. Fell asleep about 3am and woke up 7:30am. Almost missed first lecture and just felt under the weather all day. It was a 9-4 today with an hour for lunch. Any advice for sorting this out would be great.

Breakfast was standard 100g oats, 500ml full fat milk and 2 medium sized eggs with a bit of olive oil for scrambling purposes.

Lunch was supposed to be two scoops of whey, creatine and 2 peanut butter sandwiches (4 pieces of white bread with 40g peanut butter). But me being the idiot I am left my tupperware box at home, so had to make do with just the protein powder for lunch.

Despite having to finish uni at 4, I left at 3 because I was feeling terrible and it was just intro lectures. Got home and took a 30minute nap, watch the f1 highlights well half of it (will finish watching whilst eating my pasta in a bit), whilst eating my sandwiches that I was suppose to have for lunch.

Decided to man up and just hit the gym even if it was for the minimum reps for the day which was 3. Got a rockstar energy drink (blueberry) on the way and it was like I just snorted cocaine (Haven't had any caffeine containing beverages in months). Got to the gym and was feeling great.

35x1x3
37.5x1x3
40x1x8

Last rep was a grinder and I took about 2 minutes rest before the last one could have pushed one more out but just wanted to go for it because of the caffeine high, I felt like I had so much energy.

Did the boring but big 5x10 reps.

Did some lat pull downs for the first time 5x10 too weight was 27.2kg/60lb according to the machine.

I really wasn't expecting such a good session might be a combination of my Saturday cheat meal and todays energy drink but the workout really switched my mood around.

Saturday cheat meal was for anyone that's interested

4 egg cheesy chicken and veg omelette with chips, hash brown and 4 pieces of buttered toast and some coffee

Grilled 0.75lb chicken burger with a huge helping of chips and pepsi

Steak, potato and chips and some sparkling water

Chocolate and strawberry ice cream with a chocolate sauce crepe and whipped cream.

I should really have some sort of order to my blog posts. I'll start giving it some order from tomorrow. Not sure if I should keep the detailed blog posts like this one or just write what I lifted.
I like the detail, it's like a day in the life blog sorta thing. Hope you feel better tomorrow man.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My advice for uni is go to sleep earlier.

And I like the detail.
Original post by TSA
Monday: Military Press

First day of uni today well of second year, woke up feeling like a piece of ****. Sleeping patterns are terrible. Fell asleep about 3am and woke up 7:30am. Almost missed first lecture and just felt under the weather all day. It was a 9-4 today with an hour for lunch. Any advice for sorting this out would be great.

Breakfast was standard 100g oats, 500ml full fat milk and 2 medium sized eggs with a bit of olive oil for scrambling purposes.

Lunch was supposed to be two scoops of whey, creatine and 2 peanut butter sandwiches (4 pieces of white bread with 40g peanut butter). But me being the idiot I am left my tupperware box at home, so had to make do with just the protein powder for lunch.

Despite having to finish uni at 4, I left at 3 because I was feeling terrible and it was just intro lectures. Got home and took a 30minute nap, watch the f1 highlights well half of it (will finish watching whilst eating my pasta in a bit), whilst eating my sandwiches that I was suppose to have for lunch.

Decided to man up and just hit the gym even if it was for the minimum reps for the day which was 3. Got a rockstar energy drink (blueberry) on the way and it was like I just snorted cocaine (Haven't had any caffeine containing beverages in months). Got to the gym and was feeling great.

35x1x3
37.5x1x3
40x1x8

Last rep was a grinder and I took about 2 minutes rest before the last one could have pushed one more out but just wanted to go for it because of the caffeine high, I felt like I had so much energy.

Did the boring but big 5x10 reps.

Did some lat pull downs for the first time 5x10 too weight was 27.2kg/60lb according to the machine.

I really wasn't expecting such a good session might be a combination of my Saturday cheat meal and todays energy drink but the workout really switched my mood around.

Saturday cheat meal was for anyone that's interested

4 egg cheesy chicken and veg omelette with chips, hash brown and 4 pieces of buttered toast and some coffee

Grilled 0.75lb chicken burger with a huge helping of chips and pepsi

Steak, potato and chips and some sparkling water

Chocolate and strawberry ice cream with a chocolate sauce crepe and whipped cream.

I should really have some sort of order to my blog posts. I'll start giving it some order from tomorrow. Not sure if I should keep the detailed blog posts like this one or just write what I lifted.

Apparently, melatonin is good for getting to sleep.

I'm going to buy some over the interwebz and try it out when I have difficulty getting to sleep at uni because I can't afford to stay up till 6/7am and wake up at 3/4pm like I do now!

Quick Reply

Latest