Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any advice for international students? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hii! I was just wondering if there are any tips as to what to bring/what to do when arriving at university, since I won't be able to bring stuff like bed sheets and kitchen equipment because I won't have enough space to carry it

So, any advice what to do? :P

ReputationRep:
    If you're East Asian (Korean, Viet, Mongolian etc) expect many Brits to thinking you're native Mandarin-speaking mainland Chinese national. :rolleyes:
    Don't walk around in big groups unless you're of European or African descent coz most locals hate it and might receive some racist abuse.
    Don't talk (loudly esp.) in a non-English language within earshot of a local coz most dislike it to say the least.
    Be prepare for binge-drinking, drunkiness, ONS, STDs, STIs, sexual advances, pervs in pubs, clubs, etc if you do not look male.
    Learn British slangs and regional accents to fit in better.
    Chat/moan with d locals about the weather, politics, immigration, football, Eastenders, The only way is Essex, Britain got talent, Made in Chelsea (just those sort of boring TV shows/dramas in general).
    Use www.tfl.gov.uk , www.bbc.co.uk , www.dailymail.co.uk , facebook, twitter, whatsapp is connect better wid Brits. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kseniagru)
    Hii! I was just wondering if there are any tips as to what to bring/what to do when arriving at university, since I won't be able to bring stuff like bed sheets and kitchen equipment because I won't have enough space to carry it

Bring as much as you can and go to the shops and buy the things you can't take with you.

ReputationRep:
    You could try http://www.click2campus.com/ for school/accomodation stuff. It's what I'm using, as an international, since my parents can't stay long and spend endless hours buying stuff with me.

ReputationRep:
    Bring any clothes and personal items you can't buy again. But then buy everything else when you're here.

Also, try to talk to people of all nationalities. It can really get on your nerves if your foreign housemate never talks to you but has 50 friends from their country. I know it's nice to hang around with people who know your culture and language but you're coming to Britain so try and live our culture a bit as (I hope) you would want us to if we went to your country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kseniagru)

Hi I found an on line company called goodybox london they sell really great kits for everthing you need to move into uni rooms from mugs to bedding and they post everything to your Universiity I did it and was really happy. Their web address is www.goodyboxlondon.co.uk. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Awesome websites, thanks guys
    I'm moving from Australia in Sept to London and am nervous about trying to fit everything I want to bring in one suitcase!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you guys so much! I am a Russian living in Thailand, and it will be such a pain moving xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.