The Student Room Group
Students on campus
York St John University
York
Visit website

Typical Accomodation Questions

Hello, I'm an International Student. As that, I have a problem considering the Accomodation at York St John University. I saw that there are a lot of opportunities and I got confused. Can someone help me ?

I'm looking for the most possible cheap reant which could include benefits like : Internet, Water supply, Electricity ( if possible and food service ). Actually I think that these three are enough, I don't have pretensions for anything else. Furthermore I believe that it is good to be somewhere around the centre.
Reply 1
The bills you've mentioned are included in all the accommodation here (except I think some University Managed Housing), but if you want semi catered, you'd be best in Lord Mayor's Walk as that's the only one where you don't have to buy and cook all of your own food. All of the accommodation is fairly close to the centre - the closest is actually St John Central, which is also the most expensive. Lord Mayor's Walk is still only a 10 minute walk away from the 'real' centre, and there are a lot of shops on the way too.
Students on campus
York St John University
York
Visit website
Reply 2
So, I checked the Semi-Catered page but I didn't get something. Does the rent include all the fees for the food services, or I need to extra pay for it ? Is there any deposit for the accomodation at Lords Mayors' Walk ?

And as I have read about the accomodation, I calculated how much will cost for 1 month. And I got the result of around 500 £ per month. I found several cheap room rents available for a private accomodation. What do you think about the private accomodation ? Worth it ?
Reply 3
Not on your own, no. There's a lot more security in university accommodation imo, and there'll always be someone there to help you if you need it. Plus, you'll need a lot less to bring with you - in private or self catered, you'd also need to provide all your own cutlery, crockery, pots and pans etc for all the meals you'll have - you can cope with a lot less on Lord Mayor's Walk which will help with what you have to both bring with you and buy upon arrival.

I think you get a £50 allowance a week in the canteen on a card included within the rent. There's also a kitchenette you have access to with a few things in. There is a £150 deposit, but you should get that back. In the private sector, you're looking at probably double that and you might have a few issues seeing as your an international student. Can't be sure about that though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending