Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why is cannabis illegal but cigerettes legal? watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't drink alcohol, smoke anything or take any form of drugs (except medicine when I'm really ill), so this isn't a thread about my own personal interests.
    I just wonder, why are cigerettes legal but cannabis illegal? We were taught in school that cigerettes do more damage to the body than cannabis.. so I don't understand? Why aren't they both banned or both legal? Is there some kind of factor that I'm missing? We were told people that smoke cannabis get hungry and that makes them eat a lot which could lead to being a fatty which could lead to heart disease and everything else and that they can go a bit mental, but that sounds just as bad a (or even not as bad) as having a higher risk of getting lung cancer or heart disease AND anybody can just eat lots of food and have that happen to them, cannabis isn't needed.
    Again, I'm not bashing anyone that smokes or does cannabis or drinks alcohol, I just want to be able to understand why the laws the way they are.

ReputationRep:
    something about how a certain businessman in America who was involved in the timburr industry but also wanted to be a big deal in the manufacturing of paper. When actually hemp (also part of the yield of the cannabis plant) was a cheaper raw material for paper manufacturing. Said businessman repressed and eventually made hemp and therefore the cannabis plant illegal.
    Oh the teachings of family guy (I have no idea if this is actually right or not)
    as to why it's still legal. Can you imagine how many idealist liberals would throw a hissy fit over the abolition of a harmful substance? the answer is too many for the govt to bother with. Plus its effectively propoganda material for any opposing party to say that whoever banned cigarettes is just trying to further state control over civil liberties.
    Plus dem tax revenue.
    As to why weed is still illegal - the late 20th century practically spurned the whole drugs scene - and anything that was labelled a recreational drug was shown to the public as an evil substance that our society will do without, without any proper reason or medical studies. Weed was just thrown in this sea of bad publicity and is only now coming out to the public as a less harmful more taxable and honestly just a better alternative to cigarettes or as a recreational drug in itslef.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Tobacco is embedded in our society. Too many people rely on it that to criminalise it would be detrimental to people's mental health. Addictions don't stop just because something is criminalised after all. The government also makes huge amounts of money off the tax of cigarettes. Cigarettes cost under £1 to manufacture, so at least £4 or so goes to the government in tax per sale.

Even though cannabis appears to be less damaging than tobacco, it is still harmful - particularly to mental health. And it is not embedded in our society, therefore it would be a backward step to suddenly decriminalise it. In an ideal world, neither substance would be legal. And as tearteto said, no political party wants to be responsible for criminalising something so important to many people.

ReputationRep:
    Because cannabis is harmful, whereas cigarettes are very healthy, and cigarette smoke smells really lovely, it's very considerate of smokers to spread their smoke everywhere and force other people to inhale it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reluire)
    Even though cannabis appears to be less damaging than tobacco, it is still harmful - particularly to mental health. And it is not embedded in our society, therefore it would be a backward step to suddenly decriminalise it. In an ideal world, neither substance would be legal. And as tearteto said, no political party wants to be responsible for criminalising something so important to many people.
    The mental health studies vary, some studies say its detrimental to mental health whilst others say it isn't, The government and anti-cannabis campaigners just pick and choose which studies they choose.

However it is proven cannabis has multiple medicinal purposes, such as helping people with arthritis etc. with their pain. Why is that never addressed within the UK? In an ideal world cannabis WOULD be legalized, there is more overwhelming reasons to legalize cannabis then there is for it to remain illegal.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2014
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.