Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am about to study a level chemistry and wanted to know the difficulties that you faced when studying redox reactions at AS. So that I ensure I work in those particular areas. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sim.somal)
    I am about to study a level chemistry and wanted to know the difficulties that you faced when studying redox reactions at AS. So that I ensure I work in those particular areas. Thank you.
    What don't you get about redox reactions?
    Perhaps I can help?

ReputationRep:
    Redox Reactions aren't difficult. :O

ReputationRep:
    Like I don't understand how to balance half equations and the h+ and h20

ReputationRep:
    LOL. Quit now.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, post me an example question and I will try my best to take you through it. There is a useful acronym that we use in chem to describe oxidation and reduction in terms of whether a substance has gained or lost electrons.
    OIL RIG
    OIL means Oxidation- Is-Loss
    RIG means Reduction - Is - Gain
    But give me an e.g where your stuck and ill try to help you ok.
    You can also follow me on twitter if your on there @lecternlobby

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, post me an example question and I will try my best to take you through it. There is a useful acronym that we use in chem to describe oxidation and reduction in terms of whether a substance has gained or lost electrons.
    OIL RIG
    OIL means Oxidation- Is-Loss
    RIG means Reduction - Is - Gain
    But give me an e.g where your stuck and ill try to help you ok.
    You can also follow me on twitter if your on there @lecternlobby

ReputationRep:
    <br>
    Hi there, post me an example question and I will try my best to take you through it. There is a useful acronym that we use in chem to describe oxidation and reduction in terms of whether a substance has gained or lost electrons.<br>
    OIL RIG <br>
    OIL means Oxidation- Is-Loss<br>
    RIG means Reduction - Is - Gain<br>
    But give me an e.g where your stuck and ill try to help you ok.<br>
    You can also follow me on twitter if your on there @lecternlobby<br>
    <br>

ReputationRep:
    Although I do not know which exam board you will be joining, I can assure you that CIE's latest book is head and shoulders above all other chem textbooks I have ever read. It has worked examples that you can comfortably follow and a CD ROM to help with the check up qstn. I wont lie, it's all a bit hard at first but after the 3rd try of revising you get the hang of it.
    Here is a link
    http://education.cambridge.org/af/su...ok-with-cd-rom
    Good luck and tell me how it goes.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Take the following half equation:
    MnO4^-1 ----> Mn2+

Rules:
    1. Balance Oxygens by adding H2O to the side deficient in Oxygen.
    2. Balance Hydrogens with a H+ ion on the deficient side of the equation.
    3. Balance charge with electrons. (Key here is that the charge needs to be equal on each side, for example if the charge on one side is 2- then it has to be 2- on the other side).

Now lets do the following example:
    MnO4^-1 -----> Mn2+

1. We see here that we have 4 Oxygens on the left hand side and 0 Oxygens on the right hand side.
    So we must first balance the Oxygens with H2O (rule 1 above).

MnO4^-1 ------> Mn2+ + 4H2O

2. Now we have done that we can see that now we have a imbalance of Hydrogen. We have 8 Hydrogens on the right hand side and we have 0 hydrogens on the left hand side.
    So we must add H+ ions to balance this out (Rule 2, as shown above).

MnO4^-1 + 8H+ ------> Mn2+ + 4H2O

3. In terms of each element everything is balanced, the only thing which isn't balanced is the charge.
    We have 7+ -----> 2+.
    Remember we can only balance the charge with electrons which are negative so the addition of electrons will decrease the positive charge. Therefore we add it to the left hand side. Therefore we need to add enough electrons to make 2+ charge which is seen on the right hand side from the Mn2+ ion.
    (So from +7 to 2+ we need to take away 5 - thereby we need 5 electrons)

MnO4^-1 + 8H+ + 5e- -------> Mn2+ + 4H2O

Hope this made sense and thereby helped you.
    Keep up the good work. Btw which exam board are you going to be Chemistry with?

(Original post by HappyHylian)
    LOL. Quit now.
    Stop acting like some arrogant ****!
    They have not even started AS Chem yet!

ReputationRep:
    Redox reactions were one of the easier topics for me, combined with oxidation numbers I actually enjoyed those questions. I didn't particularly enjoy the periodic table and Group 2 and 7 elements.
    I did OCR for my exam board, I don't know about others, but oxidation numbers are not a very big topic, I learned it with a game called Chem Mahjong, sounds lame, but works.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your input everyone...it really helped. Especially lexxaa and propagation

ReputationRep:
    My board will be aqa

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.