Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If you are struggling to sleep when you are stressed or you have too much on your mind. Don't worry you are not alone, simply cut down on caffeine before bed, have a glass of warm milk and 30 minutes you would be asleep and you don't have to worry about the day sleepiness/sluggishness the next day and the obviously low mood. Only resort to prescription drugs when nothing has worked or it's severely affecting your life.

Nightworld1066

ReputationRep:
    Reading a book before bed is always helpful, it helps to relax your brain and unwind from the day. Moreover I find that it takes my mind off the troubles of the day and I feel calm as I focus on the storyline .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isobel McLeod)
    Reading a book before bed is always helpful, it helps to relax your brain and unwind from the day. Moreover I find that it takes my mind off the troubles of the day and I feel calm as I focus on the storyline .
    The thing about reading a book is you get so into it that you want to carry on reading and before you realise, you've read half the book and it's 3 in the morning

ReputationRep:
    Try reading something either really boring or really heavy going, so that concentrating tires your brain out.

ReputationRep:
    Another tip is put on BBC parliament or some really boring repetitive news item, but don't do this if you are interested in politics or current affairs. If you hate football, then put it on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kimmy2014)
    The thing about reading a book is you get so into it that you want to carry on reading and before you realise, you've read half the book and it's 3 in the morning
    Yes I know, that can happen occasionally, but that is okay, on a more regular basis try and control how long you read, before hand think - I'm going to read two chapters tonight , it usually works for me!

ReputationRep:
    What about non-prescription drugs? I find Nytol works a treat.

ReputationRep:
    Alprazolam

Yep agree with the warm milk, also add a teaspoon of honey and you're asleep
      I used to have sleeping troubles but tried this and it actually works!

ReputationRep:
      Never resort to prescription drugs, current rx sleepies have a range of huge side effects, from addiction to significantly increased risk of cancer. Unless you can get Xyrem which is the balls for sleep, but you can't...

If it's something for one off occasions (<2/week, or "that ****ing dog woke me up again!") then get some diphenhydramine.

Seen this? http://sleepfoundation.org/ask-the-expert/sleep-hygiene

(Original post by bluemax)
      Alprazolam
      That didn't take long ha.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by arfah)
      Yep agree with the warm milk, also add a teaspoon of honey and you're asleep
      I used to have sleeping troubles but tried this and it actually works!
      That works for you? I am insanely jealous D:

(Original post by BethanyMary)
        That works for you? I am insanely jealous D:
        Really?? It did take a while to get in effect but eventually did work, but i've stopped drinking it and I still get to sleep pretty quick since I'm used to it now, but it's obviously better when I do drink it :rolleyes: So you've tried warm milk with honey and it didnt work for you??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by arfah)
        Really?? It did take a while to get in effect but eventually did work, but i've stopped drinking it and I still get to sleep pretty quick since I'm used to it now, but it's obviously better when I do drink it :rolleyes: So you've tried warm milk with honey and it didnt work for you??

Posted from TSR Mobile
        I did try it and it didn't work at all, I guess everyone is different *nonchalant shrug* (I tried to find a nonchalant shrug smilie but I there didn't appear to be one so here, have a dancing badger instead.) :badger:

ReputationRep:
        Aye non of these tips have ever worked for me :/

ReputationRep:
        If I'm awake because something is annoying me then it has to be solved. Sometimes that involves me getting up at 3am to do it or sometimes I just scribble what's bugging me down in a notebook so it's there for the morning.

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2014
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.