Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I am hoping to apply for a primary PGCE in Manchester to start Sept15'.
    I chose Sept15' so that I can hopefully gain some school experience before applying.

For those starting Sept14' have you been given a reading list?
    Could you advise any books I should be reading or any tips at all to gaining experience in school and out that may help towards my application.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!!
    Chelle

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelle.t)
    Hello

I am hoping to apply for a primary PGCE in Manchester to start Sept15'.
    I chose Sept15' so that I can hopefully gain some school experience before applying.

For those starting Sept14' have you been given a reading list?
    Could you advise any books I should be reading or any tips at all to gaining experience in school and out that may help towards my application.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!!
    Chelle

Hi

We were given the following list of books, which are said to be compulsory and help develop our own knowledge etc;

Core English:
    Johnson, R. and Watson, J. (2007), Teaching Synthetic Phonics. Exeter: Learning Matters.
    Whitehead, M. (2010), Language and Literacy in the Early Years. London: Sage.
    Wilson, A. and Scanlon, J. (2011), Language Knowledge for Primary Teachers. London: David Fulton.

Core Science:
    Cross, A. and Bowden, A. (2009), Essential Primary Science. Berks: OUP McGraw-Hill Education.
    Core Maths:

Mooney, C. et al. 2012, Primary Mathematics: Knowledge and Understanding., 6th edition, Achieving QTS Series, Learning Matters

With the core English particularly, we have been asked to choose a fiction, non-fiction and poetry text either suited to early years, KS1 or KS2 and link it to section 3 of 'Language Knowledge for Primary Teachers'. If you are planning to get experience it would probably be beneficial to you to choose a text that the school you complete experience in, uses. That way you can both spot the language features and experience how they are used within lesson activities, if that makes sense?

Other than this we were advised of a list of IT skills we should be comfortable using, with the primary IT curriculum becoming more computer science based. If you'd like any more info don't hesitate to ask!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.