Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is the best way to improve my subject knowledge? History PGCE help! Watch

ReputationRep:
    So my offer changed from conditional to unconditional because I finally got my degree marks and I'm now starting my pre course tasks.

Having looked through the curriculum, my subject knowledge is lacking in a few areas - notable Britain 1500-1900 and pre 1066 Britain.

I need to improve my subject knowledge in these areas but I don't really know the best place to start!

If anyone who has faced a similar problem could advise me on the sort of things they did, that'd be awesome.

All I'm doing presently is going through Amazon and trying to find some a-level textbooks for these periods but I don't think pre 1066 Britain for A-Level is common.

ReputationRep:
    hey Samus2

I am on the same page as you - Ive highlighted I know nothing in British History after the civil war until 1890's and very little pre 1066.

I got advised by my uni to look at history text books that are currently used in schools and look at websites such as bitesize as will give the basics and a point to work from for keystage 3 and 4.

For A level they were a bit vague - I have decided to look at the current exam boards specification and look at which units I do not feel comfortable with and study them. Also planning to look at textbooks - the ones used in classes as well so to get an idea.

I have never heard of A level studying pre 1066? Really hope does not come up regularly as not my most favourite period of history tbh

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kitty_kat_lancs)
    hey Samus2

I am on the same page as you - Ive highlighted I know nothing in British History after the civil war until 1890's and very little pre 1066.

I got advised by my uni to look at history text books that are currently used in schools and look at websites such as bitesize as will give the basics and a point to work from for keystage 3 and 4.

For A level they were a bit vague - I have decided to look at the current exam boards specification and look at which units I do not feel comfortable with and study them. Also planning to look at textbooks - the ones used in classes as well so to get an idea.

I have never heard of A level studying pre 1066? Really hope does not come up regularly as not my most favourite period of history tbh

Hope this helps
    Ah awesome! What uni are you at?

I didn't even think about BBC Bitesize so I'll definitely have a look at that.

Are you just going through, making notes about each topic and how you might teach it?

Thanks for the reply!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    Ah awesome! What uni are you at?

I didn't even think about BBC Bitesize so I'll definitely have a look at that.

Are you just going through, making notes about each topic and how you might teach it?

Thanks for the reply!

I am going to Man Met to start my PGCE this year.

I find it useful to find out the basics of what learners are expect to know. I am just going through and making notes. If I think of a way how I may want to teach the topic I put a note but tbh not really focusing how I may teach as may find a better way once start the course.

Which uni are you going to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kitty_kat_lancs)
    I am going to Man Met to start my PGCE this year.

I find it useful to find out the basics of what learners are expect to know. I am just going through and making notes. If I think of a way how I may want to teach the topic I put a note but tbh not really focusing how I may teach as may find a better way once start the course.

Which uni are you going to?
    Thanks so much for the reply! I'll start on that on Monday.

Canterbury Christ Church. A lot of things I'm confident on because of my degree but there's some areas where I know literally nkthing

ReputationRep:
    Hi All, I've just had my NQT year signed off and I'm a history teacher I was like you describe- lots of gaps in my knowledge. To be honest I just learned everything at the same time that I taught it, not ideal but it worked for me. The KS3 basics are:

The Battle of Hastings
    Medieval life/church/castles
    Becket
    King John
    Tudors
    English Civil War
    Cromwell
    Slave Trade/ Slavery/ Industrial Revolution
    First World War

You really don't know what you are going to need to teach at A Level/ GCSE- although most exam boards have a Germany 1918-45 for GCSE.

I'm starting a new school with whole new specifications in September so I've got more learning to do! And I'm teaching politics too!

Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.