What is the best way to improve my subject knowledge? History PGCE help!

Watch
Samus2
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So my offer changed from conditional to unconditional because I finally got my degree marks and I'm now starting my pre course tasks.

Having looked through the curriculum, my subject knowledge is lacking in a few areas - notable Britain 1500-1900 and pre 1066 Britain.

I need to improve my subject knowledge in these areas but I don't really know the best place to start!

If anyone who has faced a similar problem could advise me on the sort of things they did, that'd be awesome.

All I'm doing presently is going through Amazon and trying to find some a-level textbooks for these periods but I don't think pre 1066 Britain for A-Level is common.
kitty_kat_lancs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
hey Samus2

I am on the same page as you - Ive highlighted I know nothing in British History after the civil war until 1890's and very little pre 1066.

I got advised by my uni to look at history text books that are currently used in schools and look at websites such as bitesize as will give the basics and a point to work from for keystage 3 and 4.

For A level they were a bit vague - I have decided to look at the current exam boards specification and look at which units I do not feel comfortable with and study them. Also planning to look at textbooks - the ones used in classes as well so to get an idea.

I have never heard of A level studying pre 1066? Really hope does not come up regularly as not my most favourite period of history tbh

Hope this helps
Samus2
Rep:
?
(Original post by kitty_kat_lancs)
hey Samus2

I am on the same page as you - Ive highlighted I know nothing in British History after the civil war until 1890's and very little pre 1066.

I got advised by my uni to look at history text books that are currently used in schools and look at websites such as bitesize as will give the basics and a point to work from for keystage 3 and 4.

For A level they were a bit vague - I have decided to look at the current exam boards specification and look at which units I do not feel comfortable with and study them. Also planning to look at textbooks - the ones used in classes as well so to get an idea.

I have never heard of A level studying pre 1066? Really hope does not come up regularly as not my most favourite period of history tbh

Hope this helps
Ah awesome! What uni are you at?

I didn't even think about BBC Bitesize so I'll definitely have a look at that.

Are you just going through, making notes about each topic and how you might teach it?

Thanks for the reply!
kitty_kat_lancs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Samus2)
Ah awesome! What uni are you at?

I didn't even think about BBC Bitesize so I'll definitely have a look at that.

Are you just going through, making notes about each topic and how you might teach it?

Thanks for the reply!

I am going to Man Met to start my PGCE this year.

I find it useful to find out the basics of what learners are expect to know. I am just going through and making notes. If I think of a way how I may want to teach the topic I put a note but tbh not really focusing how I may teach as may find a better way once start the course.

Which uni are you going to?
Samus2
Rep:
?
(Original post by kitty_kat_lancs)
I am going to Man Met to start my PGCE this year.

I find it useful to find out the basics of what learners are expect to know. I am just going through and making notes. If I think of a way how I may want to teach the topic I put a note but tbh not really focusing how I may teach as may find a better way once start the course.

Which uni are you going to?
Thanks so much for the reply! I'll start on that on Monday.

Canterbury Christ Church. A lot of things I'm confident on because of my degree but there's some areas where I know literally nkthing
StarBabyCat
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi All, I've just had my NQT year signed off and I'm a history teacher I was like you describe- lots of gaps in my knowledge. To be honest I just learned everything at the same time that I taught it, not ideal but it worked for me. The KS3 basics are:

The Battle of Hastings
Medieval life/church/castles
Becket
King John
Tudors
English Civil War
Cromwell
Slave Trade/ Slavery/ Industrial Revolution
First World War

You really don't know what you are going to need to teach at A Level/ GCSE- although most exam boards have a Germany 1918-45 for GCSE.

I'm starting a new school with whole new specifications in September so I've got more learning to do! And I'm teaching politics too!

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (738)
33.92%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (929)
42.69%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (413)
18.98%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (96)
4.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise