Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    heya! does anyone here do it?
    I have picked it (halfcourse) and i just wanted to know a bit more about it!
    luv jo

ReputationRep:
    i read about citeznship (lots of debating, politics, team work (good for cv but not very respected) i als read ur doing media which is the least respected subject, u s hould do art instead as it is a passion of yours, love amrou

ReputationRep:
    i found this about citezenship on the net (short course0
    The Edexcel GCSE short course in Citizenship Studies is based on the key stage 4 citizenship programme of study in the National Curriculum. The teaching of citizenship at key stage 4 in England is statutory from September 2002, for first examination in June 2003. The innovative and flexible internal assessment encourages the use of presentation, ICT and oral work and is structured to encourage students of all abilities.

ReputationRep:
    Citizenship is a bag of crap and we are forced to teach it by the government - ok its fine if you have properly trained tutors to deliver it and its well planned howeveer i'm not trained in citizenship and its only personal experience which i use to teach it. Its very badly organisaed at our school and often i have to bore students with "dealth by worksheet" on things like money maters, local govenrment and the environment as thats all people running the course have bothered to produce. These topics dont really appeal to me never mind 23 yampy students!!

ReputationRep:
    is it respected

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amrou)
    is it respected

I didn't even know they did a GCSE in it.
    And stop going on about media studies, if she/he wants to do it let them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)

I didn't even know they did a GCSE in it.
    And stop going on about media studies, if she/he wants to do it let them.
    half our year pratically are doing it at AS. All those doing politics, sociology or law - I wouldn't say it was respected. In fact, I've heard it has as much credibility as general studies. But if its more GCSE points, then why not take it!

ReputationRep:
    thank you!!
    citizenship is well organised in my school-i know the teachers because i am in mock trials which is a citizenship thing, so that is sort of good i think.
    also i am thinking of becoming a lawyer and citizenship deals with stuff like peoples rights. i think it will be good on a cv because it's a new subject so people will ask what it is and stuff.lol.
    i am going to do media, i think it is respected or will be in the future since it is still a new subject to take for GCSE's.
    love jo

ReputationRep:
    i do the short course for GCSE.. it's really easy, you don't do anything. Our lessons consist of reading from a text book, copying the words in the glossary and for a real challenge, answering questions from the text.

You have to write a 2000-word (i think) essay, but we havent started yet - dunno if that's this year (year 10) or year 11.

ReputationRep:
    My A/S Citizenship exam was the best thing ever, all I had to do was turn up, write three essays (which I enjoyed anyway) and that got me a grade A AS-Level; Woo-hoo!
    In fact, 100% on the Politics paper!

Btw, my Politics teacher is chief examiner and he writes the questions....maybe that's why I did so well.

Seriously though, last year our school (which is a below average state school) scored 40% A's for Citizenship AS (in it's first year at our school) and I imagine that for most of those people it was the only A they got (ie. many people are able to score much more highly than in other subjects).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomhitchings)
    My A/S Citizenship exam was the best thing ever, all I had to do was turn up, write three essays (which I enjoyed anyway) and that got me a grade A AS-Level; Woo-hoo!

Btw, my Politics teacher is chief examiner and he writes the questions....maybe that's why I did so well.

Seriously though, last year our school (which is a below average state school) scored 40% A's for Citizenship AS (in it's first year at our school) and I imagine that for most of those people it was the only A they got (ie. many people are able to score much more highly than in other subjects).
    LoL!! stop dissing our school tom!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomhitchings)

Yep Citizenship was easy, we had half the normal teaching time, spent most of that time talking about George Bush, and had no proper textbooks, and I still got an A with 100% in one paper. (of course I thought I'd failed it at the time, but I always think that)

My form tutor (sociology teacher) is involved in the exam board as well, he was showing me the textbook he just wrote for it. Seemed very excited...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    Yep Citizenship was easy, we had half the normal teaching time, spent most of that time talking about George Bush, and had no proper textbooks, and I still got an A with 100% in one paper. (of course I thought I'd failed it at the time, but I always think that)

My form tutor (sociology teacher) is involved in the exam board as well, he was showing me the textbook he just wrote for it. Seemed very excited...
    Really! My Politics teacher also has a textbook, I bet they worked on it together! What a waste of time, like you say, no one needs a textbook for that subject!

Tom

ReputationRep:
    How can they teach you to be a good citizen.... it was always a total waste of time when I did it.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.