Pharmacy at Strathclyde as mature student.

Watch this thread
User947387
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi guys;

Running into some difficulty with the somewhat arbitrary guidelines concerning classification of students.

I am a law graduate; 28 yo. I wish to return to university; and study Pharmacy at Strathclyde. However; all of my existing Highers are in humanities based subjects; and I have NO science background. I have been accepted for college this year; to study Higher Maths, Biology and Chemistry.

I am NOT eligible for any of the SWAP courses; by virtue of the fact that I am already a university graduate.

The big stumbling block seems to be that they really want applicants to have Advanced Highers as well. However; with the college mergers; most colleges are no longer providing them, and the few that do, are situated around 100 miles away from me, so not really practical to study.

I was wondering, does anyone know what alternative qualifications I could use in lieu of the Advanced Highers?

PS:

According to the Scottish Credit Qualification Framework, a HNC/Advanced Higher is classed as a level 7. If I did a relevant HNC would that give me a chance?
EmmaHalley
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
Have you thought of doing an access to higher education in pharmacy or applied science? It's one year and gets you into uni. I've just done one and I'm into strathclyde now! Not sure if a college will offer it near you though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
ObitoX
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by apronedsamurai)
Hi guys;

Running into some difficulty with the somewhat arbitrary guidelines concerning classification of students.

I am a law graduate; 28 yo. I wish to return to university; and study Pharmacy at Strathclyde. However; all of my existing Highers are in humanities based subjects; and I have NO science background. I have been accepted for college this year; to study Higher Maths, Biology and Chemistry.

I am NOT eligible for any of the SWAP courses; by virtue of the fact that I am already a university graduate.

The big stumbling block seems to be that they really want applicants to have Advanced Highers as well. However; with the college mergers; most colleges are no longer providing them, and the few that do, are situated around 100 miles away from me, so not really practical to study.

I was wondering, does anyone know what alternative qualifications I could use in lieu of the Advanced Highers?

PS:

According to the Scottish Credit Qualification Framework, a HNC/Advanced Higher is classed as a level 7. If I did a relevant HNC would that give me a chance?

Hi, I am pretty much in your position. 26 yo, and I hold an Honours degree in Law. Only difference is, I am an EU national not UK native.

I'm considering studying for Mpharm in either Strathclyde or Robert Gordon University, but like yourself I don't have a science background. I did some Chemistry and Biology courses in high school, but I haven't taken the exams for these subjects on national level which is a prerequisite for Pharmacy schools here, instead I took Greek, Latin and History because I wanted to go to Law school back then.

I've searched all of the web how can I access Pharmacy in the aforementioned universities but couldn't find an answer. Are there any access courses or foundation year for a law graduate with no real Science background.

Applying to the rest of the UK Pharmacy schools is out of the question, because the tuition fees are just too high. So I'm only considering Scotland.

I have emailed the universities' admission on Friday and I'm expecting an answer (hope it comes soon).

In the meanwhile can anyone suggest a route I could take in order to enter Pharmacy in Strathclyde or Robert Gordon?
User947387
Rep:
Stow College has an Access course
http://www.stow.ac.uk/stow-courses/a...s-swap-26.html

I have NO science subjects; so this year am taking Higher Maths, Biology and Chem. From there; I will study a HNC (Applied Sciences) and then make an application which successful, will get me into 2nd year for MPharm.

Please note; the info I have listed has been in relation to Strathclyde. I hope my info has been of some use to you my friend; and good luck, may you be successful in your goals.
ObitoX
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Stow College has an Access course
http://www.stow.ac.uk/stow-courses/a...s-swap-26.html

I have NO science subjects; so this year am taking Higher Maths, Biology and Chem. From there; I will study a HNC (Applied Sciences) and then make an application which successful, will get me into 2nd year for MPharm.

Please note; the info I have listed has been in relation to Strathclyde. I hope my info has been of some use to you my friend; and good luck, may you be successful in your goals.
Hi, and thanks for your reply. So if I understand this correctly I have to do an access course for a year, then study for an HNC ? What exactly is an HNC and how much time does it take? Then after this you can entry into the second year of Mpharm? Can't you skip it and go directly from the acccess course to MPharm Year 1?

Also how likely it is you will be accepted for the MPharm if you follow these courses? Do you happen to know if there is a success rate for students following them?

And on a more practical note: do you live with your parents in glasgow or rent there? Do you work full/part time while taking the course? The economic side is not too little to be considered, since I'm not from the UK and I'll have pay expences on my own, and I doubt I'll find a job with my EU Law degree there.

Sorry if the questions are awfully lot, I only got familiar recently with the UK educational system since I decided taking this big step and studying pharmacy after law school

Edit: Robert Gordon has a similar access courses from what I've seen

Edi 2: I read this in the Stow website : Prior study of chemistry and biology is required due to the intense nature of the study on this SWAP programme''.

I'm curious what they mean since you said you have no Science subject.
User947387
Rep:
I do not have any Science subjects. I am currently studying them this year, at Higher level. I will then use them, to make an application for a HNC.

I am living alone, and do not have a student loan. I am not comfortable providing any further info, regarding my finances.

"Also how likely it is you will be accepted for the MPharm if you follow these courses? Do you happen to know if there is a success rate for students following them?"

No idea.

"Can't you skip it and go directly from the acccess course to MPharm Year 1?"

No.

HNC takes 1 year to complete.
ObitoX
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I do not have any Science subjects. I am currently studying them this year, at Higher level. I will then use them, to make an application for a HNC.

I am living alone, and do not have a student loan. I am not comfortable providing any further info, regarding my finances.

"Also how likely it is you will be accepted for the MPharm if you follow these courses? Do you happen to know if there is a success rate for students following them?"

No idea.

"Can't you skip it and go directly from the acccess course to MPharm Year 1?"

No.

HNC takes 1 year to complete.

Thanks, I'll also wait to hear from Strathclyde and Robert Gordon, maybe they have to suggest somethind different since I did some Science courses in high school.

I wish you the best with your studies, maybe we'll meet some years from now in Strathclyde. I mean, how many Law School graduates can there be in Pharmacy, haha.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (16)
17.78%
The paper was reasonable (31)
34.44%
Not feeling great about that exam... (31)
34.44%
It was TERRIBLE (12)
13.33%

Watched Threads