Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

In this video, the prankster (Roman), has been calling a bunch of black people with the word "neighbour" . We all clearly heard that he hasn't used the actual N-word, but most people black people seem to be instantly offend by the sound of the N-word until he told them it was just a prank.

Second video:

In this video, the comedian Chris Rock talks when can white people use the N-word. Of course we all all know that we should never use this word, but he claims that if you are white you could use it at that time. Most people in the audience laugh at such racial violence, both black and white as we can see.

Third video:

Here in this music video by YG, we could clearly hear the N-word being used many many times in this rap song.

An extract of the lyrics:

(Original post by My ***** lyrics)

Now we could easily deduce that it's pretty much a double standard as other race could not call a black person the N-word. However, it is socially acceptable that black and blacks could use this word along their race. When Donald sterling was caught using the N-word and said racist comments during a private conversation with his girlfriend, NBA suspended him. In addition, the president of the United States even spoke out that Stirling had said something "extremely offensive". So why does society not criticise hip-hop artist and pop culture when we hear this word countless time on the radio by Jayz, YG, and other rappers, but we banned someone in the NBA for saying it once only.

So guys, do you think we as society should be responsible of using this word as often where pop culture which has significant influence upon the people's perception of using the N-word.

ReputationRep:
    But I like the third video.

ReputationRep:
    OP makes a good point, i agree, it is an unjust double standard

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Please don't post videos that contain swearing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilsoncw1997)

Now we could easily deduce that it's pretty much a double standard as other race could not call a black person the N-word..
    Well, it's about context and word 'ownership'. Black people get to use a word which is otherwise directed at them as an insult or threat and which has sinister associations given the way black people have suffered at the hands of those who have used the term. This 'ownership' can be empowering and has a parallel in the way gay people call themselves and each other 'queer'.

Otherwise:

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    I use it all the time, Jay Z does it.

ReputationRep:
    I personally think that in todays society, the use of the N word is used too often and we often forget where the word originated from. The 'N' word is racist term that was used to verbally insult/abuse black people many years ago. With the development of rap culture, the 'N' word is being thrown around like nobody's business and it only encourages the younger generations to grow up with the mentality that this is ok. This is not ok. Also, with this in mind I also think there needs to be a crack down on rap culture and parenting or something…as too often i here black people themselves calling their mates the N word which again is disgusting. I'm sure they wouldn't be ok with it if a white person said it. i am white person myself and the use of any racist words in society today disgusts me and like previously said..there definitely needs to be some sort of a crack down on the use of such words.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly believe rap/hip hop culture has made it okay for the 'n' word to be used so loosely by people of all ethnicities. For example, if you've ever gone to a rap concert recently, you most probably will have seen countless "non black" people there singing along to songs which repeatedly use that word. The word has lost all meaning that it ever had which, in my opinion, isn't a good thing and rap culture (whatever "rap culture" is) is pretty much the main culprit for this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aiyshaxo)
    I honestly believe rap/hip hop culture has made it okay for the 'n' word to be used so loosely by people of all ethnicities. For example, if you've ever gone to a rap concert recently, you most probably will have seen countless "non black" people there singing along to songs which repeatedly use that word. The word has lost all meaning that it ever had which, in my opinion, isn't a good thing and rap culture (whatever "rap culture" is) is pretty much the main culprit for this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's fine if you're saying at a kanye west concert however saying ***** to people out of the context of a song when you're not black is just asking for trouble.

If you walked up to me and said sup my ***** I'd beat your ass.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophus18x)
    I personally think that in todays society, the use of the N word is used too often and we often forget where the word originated from. The 'N' word is racist term that was used to verbally insult/abuse black people many years ago. With the development of rap culture, the 'N' word is being thrown around like nobody's business and it only encourages the younger generations to grow up with the mentality that this is ok. This is not ok. Also, with this in mind I also think there needs to be a crack down on rap culture and parenting or something…as too often i here black people themselves calling their mates the N word which again is disgusting. I'm sure they wouldn't be ok with it if a white person said it. i am white person myself and the use of any racist words in society today disgusts me and like previously said..there definitely needs to be some sort of a crack down on the use of such words.
    Hahaha funny story, it didn't start as racial abuse. Way back in the days of slavery we brought the slaves from Niger. But being stupid westerners we pronounced it as the n word. People from Niger are called Nigers, but cause we can't read we pronounced it as the pluralised n word. Or at least that's what I heard somewhere on some documentary a few years ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The 'N' word is an abbreviation of the spanish word Negredo, which means black man.

Its not an intrinsically offensive word. Anyone can use it but in proper context. Saying the 'N' word is just childish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    Hahaha funny story, it didn't start as racial abuse. Way back in the days of slavery we brought the slaves from Niger. But being stupid westerners we pronounced it as the n word. People from Niger are called Nigers, but cause we can't read we pronounced it as the pluralised n word. Or at least that's what I heard somewhere on some documentary a few years ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wrong I'm afraid. The banned pronunciation is actually older as it contains neither the great vowel shift of I nor the palatalisation of g.
    The word means black in Latin. The country name post dates the insult as well.
    In regards to OP. I think far too weight is put on a word. Why is calling someone a stupid little **** not punishable by law but using that word is? Words should never be a crime because the amount of offence someone takes at words can't be measured, whereas as actual violence can.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harrie Lyons)
    Wrong I'm afraid. The banned pronunciation is actually older as it contains neither the great vowel shift of I nor the palatalisation of g.
    The word means black in Latin. The country name post dates the insult as well.
    In regards to OP. I think far too weight is put on a word. Why is calling someone a stupid little **** not punishable by law but using that word is? Words should never be a crime because the amount of offence someone takes at words can't be measured, whereas as actual violence can.
    God danm you Stephen Fry! But either way as far as I'm concerned a word is a word and this world is turning into overly sensitive emotional train wrecks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    God danm you Stephen Fry! But either way as far as I'm concerned a word is a word and this world is turning into overly sensitive emotional train wrecks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah totally. Especially if it's not meant as an insult.
    People need to chill the hell out and stop being so hilariously uptight and PC
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harrie Lyons)
    Yeah totally. Especially if it's not meant as an insult.
    People need to chill the hell out and stop being so hilariously uptight and PC
    Finally, someone who sees sense! It's the same with bullying. I've been bullied for as long as I can remember but I just take every insult as a compliment and laugh at the bully's reaction.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marky Mark)
    It's fine if you're saying at a kanye west concert however saying ***** to people out of the context of a song when you're not black is just asking for trouble.

If you walked up to me and said sup my ***** I'd beat your ass.
    So you think it's okay just to be used within a context? There's been quite a few posts on this subject on tsr but usually most black people were against others using the word at all within in a certain context and without.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.