Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi everyone

So my dissertation is due week 8 of Semester one (Early November) and I haven't even started. I don't just mean haven't started writing...I mean. no reading or research or anything and am really stressing! Doesn't help that I need to find a minimum of 5 interviewees as well.

My plan was to from mid-may (when my exams were over) and june researching, july/august writing, September-due date editing. Most of my friends graduated this summer and were travelling and I stupidly got lured in so have spent the past few weeks trotting around Europe and have only just got back to England and it dawned on me how little time I actually have. So here is my new plan:

Spend from now until the end of July researching. I only work 3 nights a week so I'm talking 4-8 hours a day locked in the library doing this. Then write it all up throughout August, and start editing in September. Week 1 at my uni starts September 22nd so if I start editing at the start of September I will have about 11-12 weeks in all to perfect it.

Does this sound at all realistic? I am hoping for a 2:1 minimum. Can I do all the research I need in just 3 weeks if I start on Monday and then write it all up in August? Or should I spend more time reading and researching?

Can't believe I've been this stupid. I know so many people who left it all to the last minute, including my 3 older siblings, and I watched them stress so much. I told them I wouldn't do the same thing yet here I am! OH jeez.

Oh and it's an Anthropology dissertation just fyi,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billiebillie)
    hi everyone

So my dissertation is due week 8 of Semester one (Early November) and I haven't even started. I don't just mean haven't started writing...I mean. no reading or research or anything and am really stressing! Doesn't help that I need to find a minimum of 5 interviewees as well.

My plan was to from mid-may (when my exams were over) and june researching, july/august writing, September-due date editing. Most of my friends graduated this summer and were travelling and I stupidly got lured in so have spent the past few weeks trotting around Europe and have only just got back to England and it dawned on me how little time I actually have. So here is my new plan:

Spend from now until the end of July researching. I only work 3 nights a week so I'm talking 4-8 hours a day locked in the library doing this. Then write it all up throughout August, and start editing in September. Week 1 at my uni starts September 22nd so if I start editing at the start of September I will have about 11-12 weeks in all to perfect it.

Does this sound at all realistic? I am hoping for a 2:1 minimum. Can I do all the research I need in just 3 weeks if I start on Monday and then write it all up in August? Or should I spend more time reading and researching?

Can't believe I've been this stupid. I know so many people who left it all to the last minute, including my 3 older siblings, and I watched them stress so much. I told them I wouldn't do the same thing yet here I am! OH jeez.

Oh and it's an Anthropology dissertation just fyi,
    Research is more important than writing in my opinion. The notes I made during my research were my dissertation essentially.

I had about 7,000 words of notes and quotes typed up before I started writing (history dissertation so slightly different).

Speak to your supervisor - my supervisor knew I needed a 2.1 and that I wanted a mid 2.1 for my dissertation and he gave me feedback on my draft with that in mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samus2)
    Research is more important than writing in my opinion. The notes I made during my research were my dissertation essentially.

I had about 7,000 words of notes and quotes typed up before I started writing (history dissertation so slightly different).

Speak to your supervisor - my supervisor knew I needed a 2.1 and that I wanted a mid 2.1 for my dissertation and he gave me feedback on my draft with that in mind.
    thanks for the response. Can I ask how long before did you start researching? and when did you start actually writing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billiebillie)
    thanks for the response. Can I ask how long before did you start researching? and when did you start actually writing?
    My university did things differently to most - I did a special subject module worth 40 credits and then my dissertation was related to my special subject and also worth 40 credits so some of my research was done in September from lectures.

However I focused entirely on my dissertation in February - my dissertation was due beginning of May.

I did mine a chapter at a time and probably spent a solid week 10-5 researching and getting relevant quotes/sources and then would spend maybe 2-3 days writing?

My editing stage was about 2 weeks at the end which definitely helped my mark.

ReputationRep:
    ahh ok thanks i definitely won't put it off any longer

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.