The Student Room Group

Deciding A-Levels

Hi I've recently had a taster day at my college and have now got 5 subjects that I want to take which I need to cut down to 4 to take at AS Level. My choices are: Philosophy, Psychology, Mathematics, English Language and History. I want to know peoples' opinions on these subjects and which four you think would be the best to take for a career in teaching? Thanks
I would say for teaching English Language would be a good option.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I personally think: maths, English language, history are good options. I'd then choose between philosophy and psychology depending on which you prefer.
Original post by iamlucyclare
Hi I've recently had a taster day at my college and have now got 5 subjects that I want to take which I need to cut down to 4 to take at AS Level. My choices are: Philosophy, Psychology, Mathematics, English Language and History. I want to know peoples' opinions on these subjects and which four you think would be the best to take for a career in teaching? Thanks

Which level of teaching and what subject/s? :smile:

Without knowing which level of study and for which subject, I'd suggest that you take Psychology, History, Mathematics and English Language. That way you have a very broad range of skills and Psychology as well as other social sciences such as sociology, are desirable but not essential for many universities. However, you should really try and get an A in the subject you want to do at university with education or on its own. Maths is always a good a-level, english language is considered to be a little weak but as your fourth AS it's okay but I'd drop it at A2, psychology is very good for the science based skills you may need/want and it may give you some understanding of behaviour and them sorts of things which are useful to teachers working with youngish pupils from all sorts of backgrounds. History, finally, is just a brilliant a-level to have and gives you many transferable skills that you'd find, really, invaluable; however, do what you enjoy but that is what i'd advise. Philosophy is a good subject and would be useful if you wanted to teach Religious Studies but all-in-all, it may not be of much use to you as you'd get the only skill it offers (writing, really, and reading) from history and english language. It's up to you :smile: !
Original post by JayJay-C19
Which level of teaching and what subject/s? :smile:

Primary school teaching so basically all national curriculum subjects:smile:
Primary school teaching so basically all national curriculum subjects:smile:

I'd stick with Psychology, English Language, History and Maths :smile:! Good luck.
Original post by JayJay-C19
I'd stick with Psychology, English Language, History and Maths :smile:! Good luck.

Thankyouu:smile::smile:

Quick Reply

Latest